How charismatic are each of the characters?

Hmm, hard question to answer. What do you mean by "how much"?

Guts: 3

Farnese: 6

Scorpio: 5

Schierke 7

Isidro: 4

Caska: 0, what with her being a vegetable at the moment.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Guts: 3

Farnese: 6

Schierke 7

Isidro: 4

Casca: 0, what with her being a vegetable at the moment.

is this out of 10? I wouldn't say Casca has NO charisma either.

While Griffith can pretty much be called the poster boy of charisma, just how much charisma would you say the other characters have?

Which characters? All of them? Does it even matter? Is this question even important? What made you ask this?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Bekul said:

What about Sub-zero? 5 too?

No, seriously, I don't think charisma can be estimated on a 0 to 10 ladder... And if anything I'd say that Guts is quite charismatic in his own way, enough to impress people by his mere presence.

Oberi said:
Which characters? All of them? Does it even matter? Is this question even important? What made you ask this?

Don't bother trying to use a scale for this, giving them a number won't work for something like this. This is for all the characters in general, it's due to the fact that the issue of charisma has been brought up more then once in berserk. With this in mind, I like to know what you can about the charisma for each of the characters, both major and minor.

Yeah I'd say Guts has one of the most charismatic characters in the story easily. It's not like he made any effort to make a group, in fact he discouraged the members joining in most cases. And considering he has a brand that has evil spirits constantly following him you'd think it'd put more people off the idea of hanging around but regardless...

This doesn't cover other characters throughout the story that were attracted to him in one way or another. All of the original Hawks raid team for example wanted to go with him after they rescued Griffith, the General that tries to recruit Guts after he defeats Bazuso, Jill tried to get him to take her with him, Luca wanted in, and lets not forget pre eclipse Griffith's determination to keep Guts by his side.

Yeah he's charismatic alright, and unlike Griffith he never even tried. ;)

Oburi

All praise Grail
Yeah he's charismatic alright, and unlike Griffith he never even tried.

Exactly. Griffith has this kind of natural charisma that he uses to his advantage, it's cheap and cocky. But Guts the lone wolf didn't want any followers in the beginning. The people that follow him believe in him whole heartedly and they are a much closer group than Griffith's massive army of demons (at least let's hope so). And you know Guts would never sacrifice his friends to get what he wants...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Oberi said:
Exactly. Griffith has this kind of natural charisma that he uses to his advantage, it's cheap and cocky.

Well, as far as the current Griffith goes, I'd say his charisma is unnatural. :void:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Well, as far as the current Griffith goes, I'd say his charisma is unnatural

Yea thats right. People wanted to follow him because of his natural charisma and his amazing skill when he was human. Now with Griffith reborn people just swear loyalty to him in overpowering emotional outbursts. Nice little skill.

Why is that cheap? I am not sure I am following.

It's cheap because he uses people. Theres no real substance behind his shiny act. People are being mislead, yet they are still attracted to him, you know what mean. Whereas Guts is the last person to want to be the center of attention. It's so beneath him, his image. He has such strong convictions and substance which is what give him charisma

Cruella said:
Why is that cheap? I am not sure I am following.
It's all manipulative, an act. He spots a weakness and plays upon it, and quite nicely at that. Everyone is just going along with his game and if you're that good of course you going to be cocky; the self assurance only adds to his power and made everyone believe in him even more. thats not really charisma just deception.

Scorpio fluctuates in a way. I really only truly see it shine when he's ready to fight. Seeing him in battle can be very motivating esp after he acquired the cape and began to realize Farnese was changing.
Her charisma has been coming from Caska and the realization that she needs to protect her, and also Schierke and her personal motivation to learn and repent her former self. Its not a lot to anyone else though, but it shows how everyone else int he group affects each other thanks to the adversity Guts pulls through.

But charisma isn't the same as caring about people, being good person, etc. I can't even figure out how charisma can be cheap. It can be stronger/weaker, yes, and his is very strong. It is also natural, he may work on it, but when he doesn't, it still influences people.

Griffith has a charisma in a way that is actually very close to the literal meaning of the word - he has a grace from god. It comes from "God" - well, as close as you get to god in Berserk, as far as we know anyway. How do you get more "expensive" charisma? It's not a purse.

People notice it before he starts manipulating them. Of course his successes play a role, but you can be increadibly successful and still not have a charisma. It's irrational. Charisma is when people fluctuate to person not for a rational reasons. I don't see how you can deny that Griffith has it. He was MADE to be charismatic person.

Being caring person, good boss, etc, is not the same as having charisma, and vice versa. It's not a moral related quality, so to speak.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Cruella said:
It comes from "God" - well, as close as you get to god in Berserk, as far as we know anyway.

I wouldn't say that. It's kind of misrepresenting the whole situation.

Cruella said:
How do you get more "expensive" charisma? It's not a purse.

I'm not sure whether you're playing dumb or not, but I think it's pretty clear that in this case "cheap" was meant to be an informal expression for "dishonorable", "deceptive", "inglorious" or even "unfair".

I just don't think that this word fits at all. But I guess it comes down to semantics, so, not important really. If the sentiment was that it's unfair/unfortunate that Griffith has charisma, rather than prescribing certain "quality" to charisma, than with that I can agree.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Cruella said:
I just don't think that this word fits at all. But I guess it comes down to semantics, so, not important really. If the sentiment was that it's unfair/unfortunate that Griffith has charisma, rather than prescribing certain "quality" to charisma, than with that I can agree.

Oberi will have to confirm or deny, but I think he meant it more as the way he uses his charisma to his advantage. If you decompose his original sentence, he's just saying that the way Griffith uses his talent is cheap and cocky.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Oberi will have to confirm or deny, but I think he meant it more as the way he uses his charisma to his advantage. If you decompose his original sentence, he's just saying that the way Griffith uses his talent is cheap and cocky.

Yea there's no need to get technical, you know what I mean I'm sure.

Top Bottom