Wall-E

CnC

Ad Oculos
Pixar's latest:

http://www.slashfilm.com/2007/12/17/wall-e-movie-trailer-2/

Looks gorgeous. I'm already way more interested in the concept more than I was for Ratatouille or the Nascar one...

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Excellent. Thanks for the link, CnC!

I heard of this some time ago and it left my mind, to be hones, until I saw the movie poster last Saturday after seeing The Golden Compass (which, by the by, didn't turn out as terribly as I expected). After going down the line of new posters and responding with sighs at each of them, I saw this and literally "ooo"'d. Yes, this little chap is a chibi-version of Johnny-5, but the concept behind the movie feels thought out. To echo you, Cars and Ratatouille weren't born of a moment of inspiration... they felt like sort of wishy-washy.

The trailers were incredible. Good to see Pixar is coming out with decent stuff. Disney let me down with this "Enchanted" shit. The first few second made me hope for a split second that they actually be returning to 2D films... how painfully wrong I was =(

This might be one of the only must-see movies to watch next year, aside from the Dark Knight, of course.

More to the point, can we get a photoshop of Wall-E and Void? I feel that Wally just got labeled =)

CnC

Ad Oculos
Uriel said:
More to the point, can we get a photoshop of Wall-E and Void? I feel that Wally just got labeled =)

Not a bad idea:

walletz7.jpg

Oh my God. That's fucking brilliant.

Creepy and yet strangely sympathetic. This is seriously the best way for GH to get anything done instead of this mysterious, horrifying, omnipotent bullshit. Just be the cutest goddamn robot ever.

"Awe, won't you just submit to causality a teensy-weensy lil bit? Please? 'Kay?" =*(

I'd say yes.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
I love the atmosphere of the trailer, an eternity in a barren environment. Although I wonder just how crazy things will get when the rocket finally reaches its destination (and more importantly, I hope its not overdone).

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Scorpio said:
(and more importantly, I hope its not overdone).
I know I don't need to say it, but Pixar's track record is pretty solid when it comes to inventiveness. I trust this will be just as creative as other projects (let's just forget CARS ever happened, OK?).

CnC said:
I really hope there's no dialogue in this movie. That'd be both ballsy and cool.
I remember reading some article that hinted at either no dialogue or very very minimal. I'll try to scrounge it up.

UPDATE:
IGN: What's interesting about what we saw at the panel was how little dialogue there is -- almost a pantomime storytelling style.

Stanton: That's the thing I feel is a misnomer because everybody talks in this movie and everybody speaks and expresses their feelings about things, and when you watch it you don't feel like you're being denied anything. So that's our goal, [and] I feel like it's a completely wrong way to express it if you say there's no dialogue. There's dialogue from the first frame of that film on, it's just that we're being much more respectful to the integrity of each of those characters and how they would speak. The biggest thing I want is, and I kept comparing it to "R2-D2 The Movie," was I just want you to believe that little box is really there, and it literally has feelings and it's trying to figure things out. So if it starts talking all of the time in human language, it's going to feel illogical; I don't think we would have designed a box to do that.

We might have designed a box to have a certain key word or phrase, you know, like if you could make your Roomba work a little bit smarter you might add a couple of key words. So we try to use that logic: What would its purpose be in the context of the film, how would it be used, and does that justify it? Sometimes there are characters that do have actual English lines to say, only if it fits in the logic of why that thing was built -- what reason it was built for. So if you do it right, you watch the film and you don't ever feel denied of anything.

Meh, so I was off a bit. I trust 'em to do the right thing, though. But I'm not quite sure what he means by "dialogue" in this film. I don't imagine he means long lines of exposition or anything. I mean, it has the sound designer of Star Wars as the voices of most, if not all, the robots. So it could be mostly little robotic sounds with bits of actual talking scattered about.

According to Box Office MoJo the long rumored Fred Willard, and Jeff Garlin will provide voices in WALL•E!

Fred Willard is said to be the voice of the President of Buy N Large.

pippin22 said:
If I were 8 I'd be excited... :ganishka:
yeah, you're too cool for this.

CnC

Ad Oculos
The Perineum Falcon said:
I remember reading some article that hinted at either no dialogue or very very minimal. I'll try to scrounge it up.

Well honestly what's needed? Perhaps an opening dialogue to set up the scene but the rest could be pure animated performance. I, for one, think that'd be pretty awesome.

yeah, you're too cool for this.

don't mind him, he's been rather full of himself recently since he just turned 9.

I kind of got the impression that he meant the dialogue was mostly gestural, with commonly used phrases for each robot worked in (Wall-e referencing trash themes, etc, "Please recycle" being used to say "give me another chance",for instance).

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
So it could be mostly little robotic sounds with bits of actual talking scattered about.

That's what I think. Basically like what we've seen in the trailers.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
I'm still pumped.

I've been going around plugging it to member of the family with young kids, long time Disney fans, and random 9-year old kids like pippin22 to try and get them to shed their new found "moron" hormones and come join the rest of us who enjoy good cinematography. I tell ya.. adolescents.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Uriel said:
random 9-year old kids like pippin22 to try and get them to shed their new found "moron" hormones and come join the rest of us who enjoy good cinematography. I tell ya.. adolescents.

zit-faced-kid.jpg

"I only like mature games and movies with muuuuch blood and violence in them!"​

Top Bottom