Duke Nukem Forever...

Thx walter!!!
That was awesome, I really like the look of those Octobrains. Just imagine what the Battlelords will look and sound like! :isidro:
Man.. Duke blowing smoke in the camera's face, I think that's a big F#ck You to all the people that didn't think it would ever be made.
So what did everyone else think?

Jon St. John FTW
I recognized the troopers, the pigs, and the octabrains. but what was that giant worm like thing? I remember it being in the 2001 trailer as well.

Griff, y'know I'd turn gay for you, but there's no way DNF isn't going to be sweet.
The reason is I trust they are at the very least logical, rational people. If they are then with all that has happened the inevitable conclusion is it will be very good.

There is no chance it will be 10 years worth of efficient built up goodness all compressed into the one game, it's no secret there were many problems and complications, certain individuals left and certain big plans were completely scrapped.

That being said 3D realms will know they have to make a fucking awesome game to live up to the decade of waiting. I remember reviews set in the early millennium that they were out to make the best game of all time, and their intentions were to essentially absolutely amaze the gamer all the way through. Despite all the complications, for them to regress from such a philosophy twice the amount of time later would be unacceptable for them or the gamer.

I'd be far more apprehensive like others if there had been little evidence of progress, but there have already been videos of the game looking quite far into development before they scrapped them.

1998 trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omOPjBoClw0

And the trailer released 2001:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHU3sq8Wfjs&feature=related

These games for the time they came out looked rather beautiful and promising; by all rights they could've released it even if it wasn't ideal in their eyes and still made a shitload based on it's previous reputation, and perhaps focus their attention on a sequel. But they didn't. There's a good chance they are like a really disorganised Blizzard team striving for pure awesomeness.

BTW unless I'm mistaken it's not on the Unreal 3 engine, they're still using a heavily modified Unreal 2 engine.

Just saw the trailer. Graphics look good but not mindblowing, but I've played a lot of great games with average graphics, and vise versa. So I'm still feeling optimistic.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I'm hoping for nothing but success for Duke, Sparny, but I don't think it's unreasonable to take anything Duke-related with a grain of salt at this point. It might be a build-up to something great, but more realistically, whatever game they finish now will have no connection or carryover from what they started 10 years ago, and even if it did, is that a good thing? It's a total crapshoot in my view, and you certainly can't call this a successful development period. I've seen all those trailers, and they looked great, but... they never released the game, and have basically started over again at this point, so who knows? I don't think their failure to produce a game in over 10 years somehow bodes well for it being totally awesome. As a matter of fact, I find the earlier trailers relatively more impressive than this one, which kind of goes to my point.

As for you Ramen, I made a humorous comment because you were acting like a Duke Nukem game that's been a decade long development disaster looks fun, exciting, or promising based on... what, exactly? Nothing, there was no information to go on about the current incarnation of the game (except a picture, until the trailer), that's what I meant by the game being "non-existent." It's also ironic to say that any new Duke Nukem game will somehow be the cure for the "boring crap" out there when it'd more likely fall right in line with that category, even if it's a decent FPS (an average Duke Nukem game, what an exciting prospect for gamers tired of the same boring crap =). You obviously feel that way because you have a big man-crush on Duke, and I don't see how a little joke alluding to all that was blowing it out of proportion, you just got upset because I dared not hail to the king.

The point is this game has been blown out of proportion, and the trailer didn't show me anything to make me think I'm wrong about Duke and everything he stands for, either. =)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I think only a select group of people are keeping all eyes on this project because they're genuinely anticipating it to be awesome. It's getting this much attention because everyone's been waiting for the other shoe to drop for more than a decade.

Griffith

Walter said:
I think only a select group of people are keeping all eyes on this project because they're genuinely anticipating it to be awesome. It's getting this much attention because everyone's been waiting for the other shoe to drop for more than a decade.

Yeah, that's perfectly understandable, I just don't see the objective reasons to be excited for the game itself, as opposed to any other game, aside from it being the infamous Duke Nukem Forever, and the trailer didn't do anything to change my mind.

Ramen4ever said:
Only thing Humorous is you still trying to argue. Seriously, just get over it already.

Irony of ironies, I see you've certainly gotten over trying to make an argument, which I think is best for everyone in the thread. So, don't worry Ramen, it's over now.

Sparnage said:
Thank you for ensuring when I wake up there'll be some interesting posts awaiting. ;)

God, I hope not. =)

That's Jon St. John talking at the end? Mabey it's been too long for me, but that doesn't quite sound like the Duke Nukem I remember.. At least I hope they give him some good one liners, that was one of the best parts in the original game for me. "It's time to kick ass and chew bubble-gum, and I'm all out of bubble-gum."

Also, I agree with the weight-lifting thing being lame. It seems to me that Duke Nukem would just pop a few steroids and be on his marry way..

Speaking of that, I wonder how they'll handle the steroid poppin'/stripper flashin' aspects, if they even include them. That would be sad if they decided to censor themselves now, like in Duke Nukem 64 where the steroids were vitamin x and the strippers were replaced with explosions..

CnC

Ad Oculos
aufond said:
That's Jon St. John talking at the end? Mabey it's been too long for me, but that doesn't quite sound like the Duke Nukem I remember..

Well, audio quality is better than it once was. Perhaps thats the reason some people are not recognizing him. But yea, it's definitely the same guy.

[quote author=Walter Quoting George Broussard]
I'd like to thank the people on the team that worked so hard to create this teaser and the friends of 3DR that helped create it (Jeremy Soule and Julian Soule, Frank Bry, Jason Evigan and of course, Jon St. John).[/quote]

Griffith

Sounded like Duke to me, but yeah, a little softer than I remember (ah, remember Hell, I have all the wavs on my computer =). I think CnC is right about the audio, or maybe the guy's voice has just changed a little, again, it's been 10 years. =)

Griffith No More! said:
I see you've certainly gotten over trying to make an argument

No need for me to make an argument when you're playing blind wrangler. Pm if you decide to bring something other then unfounded discourse to the table.

Griffith No More! said:
Sounded like Duke to me, but yeah, a little softer than I remember (ah, remember Hell, I have all the wavs on my computer =). I think CnC is right about the audio, or maybe the guy's voice has just changed a little, again, it's been 10 years. =)

^ Agreed, that was on the mark.
aufond said:
Also, I agree with the weight-lifting thing being lame. It seems to me that Duke Nukem would just pop a few steroids and be on his marry way..
I didn't mind the weight lifting, Mofo doesn't wear strength enhancing armor, and steroids aren't like a miracle insta-buff. Would be cool ingame though.
I woulda prefered him cleaning his guns (not masterbation) but I think something like thats already been done.
Remember this is just a teaser and not a full blown trailer.

Griffith

Ramen4ever said:
No need for me to make an argument when you're playing blind wrangler.

If I knew what the Hell that meant, I'd deny it. :guts:

Ramen4ever said:
Pm if you decide to bring something other then unfounded discourse to the table.

What was unfounded about my last post concerning Duke? Nobody else has called BS on it, and we're all Duke fans in here, some more than others, myself included. Like I said, take it with a grain of salt.

Ramen4ever said:
^ Agreed, that was on the mark.

Well, we'll always have this moment together then. =)

As for the weightlifting, I think it's lame to people because it's even more typical machismo than we've come to expect from Duke. Like aufond said, he should be 'roiding up more than ever.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Griffith No More! said:
As for the weightlifting, I think it's lame to people because it's even more typical machismo than we've come to expect from Duke. Like aufond said, he should be 'roiding up more than ever.

Well, my problem with wasn't the idea so much as the execution. The weight was just an up and down motion that didn't really have any "weight" to it all (how much better would it have been to have seen him seriously pumping iron). The smoky atmosphere was a nice idea but even on the HD version I saw everything just had a light grey wash to it without really showing any volumetric lighting. And something bothered me about the look of the beer cans.

...oh and the geometry of his arm penetrating his leg bothered me...

...other than that it was great :)

Griffith No More! said:
Well, we'll always have this moment together then. =)

Well, when you put it that way!!! :carcus:

Anyway I agree with the grain of salt, expect the worst and hope for the best for this game.
It has a lot of hype to live up to and it aint easy to climb out from 6 feet under. I don't expect this to be the best game ever, I just want a fun game that wont butcher my childhood hero. I think 3dr has also pointed out, that they wont release a half assed game. So we'll see how things turn out. One things for sure, other games waiting to be released will have some tough competition "when it's done".

I'm soo gonna Pipe Bomb your ass GNM, if this game comes out. :ganishka:
I'll see you in the dukematch.

Speaking of Dukematch, You guys prefer PC or console?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Sparnage said:
Griff, y'know I'd turn gay for you, but there's no way DNF isn't going to be sweet.
The reason is I trust they are at the very least logical, rational people. If they are then with all that has happened the inevitable conclusion is it will be very good.

You're really quite faithful. That's not necessarily a bad thing, however I'm sorry to tell you folks that Griffith is right: you guys are setting yourselves up for a major disappointment. Like everyone I hope the game will be mindblowing, but its development history doesn't exactly bode well for it. Talented people and long, difficult development times have rarely ended up with excellent games in the past. And one thing's sure, it's that the game won't live up to its hype. Why? Because it's just not possible short of being the ultimate FPS in all respects and remaining so for many years to come. And please be nice and calm down Ramen, you're being way too aggressive about this, while the game and team really deserve to be laughed at until the game's out at this point.

Sparnage said:
These games for the time they came out looked rather beautiful and promising; by all rights they could've released it even if it wasn't ideal in their eyes and still made a shitload based on it's previous reputation, and perhaps focus their attention on a sequel. But they didn't.

That's true, and actually I vastly prefer the 2001 trailer to this teaser. I remember that when I first saw it I was simply awestruck. This game would definitely have been a monster to be remembered. In comparison, I can't say this new teaser impressed me. All I can say is that the game's already lost the graphics contest with Crysis. Hopefully it'll prove to be great in other respects. And while I'm talking about the 2001 trailer, I actually wish they'd release that game now. I wouldn't mind the graphics and I could pretend I had just missed it at the time just for the opportunity to play it.

aufond said:
At least I hope they give him some good one liners, that was one of the best parts in the original game for me. "It's time to kick ass and chew bubble-gum, and I'm all out of bubble-gum."

Oh, don't worry, they still have tons of cult movies to exploit. :guts:

Oburi

All praise Grail
The trailer OK. When I heard his voice it brought me right back to the good old days, unlocking all these childhood memories of playing it at my friends house. It has potential to be such a badass game if they do it right.

Speaking of that, I wonder how they'll handle the steroid poppin'/stripper flashin' aspects, if they even include them.

That's what the old version was all about, that's what made it so exciting for me as a kid. It's such "M" rated game. If they stay true to the basic elements that made the original so cool then it shouldn't be that hard to fuck it up. But he was lifting weights, wasn't he. I want them to shock me with those exploitable elements. Games are getting too serious these days.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
CnC said:
Well, my problem with wasn't the idea so much as the execution. The weight was just an up and down motion that didn't really have any "weight" to it all (how much better would it have been to have seen him seriously pumping iron). The smoky atmosphere was a nice idea but even on the HD version I saw everything just had a light grey wash to it without really showing any volumetric lighting. And something bothered me about the look of the beer cans.

...oh and the geometry of his arm penetrating his leg bothered me...

...other than that it was great :)

Hey, don't worry about it. In all likelyhood, they have 10 more years to iron out the details.

That said, I am really looking forward to a Duke Nukem game of quality, lets hope this actually gets released and that it fits the bill to top it off.

For the people expecting eye candy. There are babes in DNF, there wouldn't be a point to saving the world otherwise.
And after seeing some of the stuff that goes on in 3dr HQ, well there isn't really any room for doubt.
I think they might have to implement nipple covers like in Duke3d though, to stay away from an AO rating.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
That's what the old version was all about, that's what made it so exciting for me as a kid. It's such "M" rated game. If they stay true to the basic elements that made the original so cool then it shouldn't be that hard to fuck it up.

I don't know about that. Beyond the sheer awesomeness of the game back then, it also had an incredible gameplay. It was innovative and cleverly put together, there was a lot of attention to details, etc. That's why DNF isn't going to be easy to pull off correctly. Duke Nukem isn't Postal, it's not just about being a macho with a bad attitude and cracking lewd jokes.

Oburi

All praise Grail
don't know about that. Beyond the sheer awesomeness of the game back then, it also had an incredible gameplay. It was innovative and cleverly put together, there was a lot of attention to details, etc. That's why DNF isn't going to be easy to pull off correctly. Duke Nukem isn't Postal, it's not just about being a macho with a bad attitude and cracking lewd jokes.

Ya I shouldn't have said that's what it was ALL about. The gameplay was awsome and the monsters, the levels and the story were all great. I meant DN3D also, I didn't mean the side scrolling original, which I never played. But being 9 years old when DN3D came out, those things I mentioned earlier are what stuck in my mind. I also remember walking up to people who are stuck to the walls like in Alien and they whisper "kill me" in really creepy voices. And then I think you could hear Beavis and Butt-head at the drive through fast food place. Shit like that made the game specially cool for me.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Dukematch, pipebombs, shrink ray and the MOTHERFUCKING JETPACK IN DEATHMATCH made the game for me :guts:

"Dayumn, I make this look GOOD."

CnC

Ad Oculos
Walter said:
Dukematch, pipebombs, shrink ray and the MOTHERFUCKING JETPACK IN DEATHMATCH made the game for me :guts:

"Dayumn, I make this look GOOD."

Trip-mines too :)

Jetpacks and that one level that had a couple of very high places (I forget the name but there was a big neon sign on one end and some elevators in a building on the right) were played non-stop by me and my friends back in the day.

Top Bottom