Favorite Quote?

yesmilord

千年王国
As a disclaimer, I'd like everyone to note that translations do vary and may alter the actual meanings, impact, and intention of whichever line you choose. So be please careful where you get the line from and try to use an accurate translation.

Other than that, there aren't any threads asking peoples' favorite lines from the series. Granted, much of the power is lost in translation, there are definitely still several memorable dialogues worth mentioning. The lines don't have to be word for word, but at least describe the scene and tell us why you think those lines were cool / meaningful / or struck a chord for you.

Cheers!

As for some of my favorite....

When Griffith says, "...I sacrifice"

before the gigantic hand encloses on his puny body. So much emotion in two words followed by a tide of hell that would forever change the paths of all the characters in Berserk.

and

When Zodd inquires SK about the berserker armor, "Dear friend / enemy. Do you really intend on allowing him to follow the same path as you? The path down the road of hell?"
I don't know what exactly about this line struck a chord in me, but it really makes you feel the ancient aura between the two rivals. Between Zodd referring to SK as a "friend" and "enemy" at the same time as well as the "path of hell" that SK had apparently taken, more and more questions popped into my head about each of their pasts and how they became what they were.

and finally

When Guts and company return from the Qliphoth, Guts reminisces with a simple, "Friends...Who would've thought I'd ever have them again..."
The nostalgia from the two-page spread with the old Band of the Hawk was overwhelming for me.

D

Duststorm

Some of mine. At least the ones I can remember :serpico:

Guts "Fear me... For a good future, you'll be the first that I'll kill... I'll erase you all!"
The quote alone makes you see how much Guts want revenge.

"Fuck you, I'm human ,the real deal , right down to the fuckin marrow of my bones. Don't lump me together with you faggot ass monsters."
Despite facing death he still has the nerve the insult Ganishka , I just thought that was cool.

"When you meet your God tell him to leave me alone"
That really struck a chord for me. If you reflect upon his life you would see that he suffered most of his life having an abusive father figure, wandering from battlefield to battlefield alone then losing all his friends and seeing his girlfriend driven insane. :idea: does not give Guts any favors.

" For now and within me is the black berserker rage and only that will keep me on my feet as I head toward you pressing on"
With this he starts his hunt for revenge. We see that he relies on his violent emotions to survive which will lead to the creation of :beast:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
yesmilord said:
When Zodd inquires SK about the berserker armor, "Dear friend / enemy. Do you really intend on allowing him to follow the same path as you? The path down the road of hell?"
Pretty sure it's just "old friend/enemy." I just think DEAR friend is a little too much for this scene (don't think the two ever gave each other massages, if you know what I mean). Anyway, a more commonly used alternative is: rival. So, I don't think it's so telling of their relationship really. We've heard them call each other that before, the usage here just has a double-meaning.

As for "the path of hell," yeah, it's one of the more ominous turns of phrases in that section of the manga, since it's foreboding for Guts' future. And, of course, it ties he and Skull Knight's journeys together somewhat so... :isidro: :guts: :badbone: :isidro:

yesmilord said:
"Fuck you, I'm human ,the real deal , right down to the fuckin marrow of my bones. Don't lump me together with you faggot ass monsters."
Wow, uh... may want to check your source on that dude. Sounds way off to me. Let me guess, this is EvIL GeNiUs translation?

D

Duststorm

Peregrine_Falcon said:
:miura:

You should switch to DH. They may have had some screwups in dialogue translation, but nothing quite as painful as this.

:ganishka: I knew it sounded out of place but I still liked it but I guess that just me.

Walter said:
Wow, uh... may want to check your source on that dude. Sounds way off to me. Let me guess, this is EvIL GeNiUs translation?

Yes it is Evil Genius but by guessing from everyone reaction the translation is complete bogus.

Anyway guys thanks for pointing this out for me and if I put any mistranslated quotes on please feel free to correct me.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
When I first saw the thread title this is the line that popped into my head, from Ep 275: Guts to Ganishka on the offer to join his army:
gutssanta.gif
"You can be an ultimate ruler or whatever. But if you want to spark again, go somewhere else. It's an annoyance for us, old thunder man."
Just so disrespectful of THE GREAT EMPEROR!

Another, Void in Volume 12:
:void: : "Fate transcends human intellect; if that is the nature of truth
it is the inevitable result if the Children resist fate with evil"

which I prefer over DH's:
:void: "If it be reason that destiny transcends human intellect and makes playthings of children ... it is cause and effect that a child bear his evil and confront destiny!"

D

Duststorm

Walter said:
When I first saw the thread title this is the line that popped into my head, from Ep 275: Guts to Ganishka on the offer to join his army:
:guts: "You can be an ultimate ruler or whatever. But if you want to spark again, go somewhere else. It's an annoyance for us, old thunder man."
Just so disrespectful of THE GREAT EMPEROR!

[/i]

Wow :isidro: is that the correct translation? Man the other one is really far off.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I have no real favorite quote, since so many lines are awesome. However, for the sake of citing one, I'll choose a very simple and short line from SK in volume 26: "Sôwa Ikanu", which means something like "this will not happen".

Duststorm said:
Wow :isidro: is that the correct translation? Man the other one is really far off.

No, the line you posted was translated by Saiki as such:

Guts: Screw you (literally: quit joking).
Guts: I'm a real human to the core of my bones.
Guts: Don't put me together with you damn monsters.

Anything out of Skull Knight's mouth is a favorite quote for me. He's just so damn cool

Take his introductory greeting to Guts for example:

That unkingly half of yours shall all be gathered in that place!! A torrent of madness, a tempest of death for which the human body could never atone, shall sweep over you!! But take heed, struggler!! You were born from a corpse and began your life from death in the mud!! You are closer to death than anyone!! Thus you excel in escaping it!! Struggle, contend, wriggle!! That alone is the sword of one who confronts death!!

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
I have a sneaking suspicion that this thread will feature a lot of miss quoted dialog.
You're Bob-Senses are tingling D!

Here's a few
"If you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you...you won't be able to walk."

"You.. Like you would care about pissing contests between monsters, isn't that right?"

and
"I'm sorry I rapped your girlfriend"
"It's alright"
I had to bring it up really

Forest Wraith

Evil is born when we lose power over ourselves.
TriFrog said:
and
"I'm sorry I rapped your girlfriend"
"It's alright"
I had to bring it up really

I don't know if I could forgive someone for rapping my girlfriend. I think I'd have to know what it is first.

I like a lot of Guts' lines in the first 3 volumes, not because I think they are Badass or anything like that: I've always interpreted it as indicating a subversion of the stereotypical aloof and callous anti-hero. Maybe my impression is influenced in part by having already known his back-story but I Love those vague, not-so-subtle-hints that Guts is deeper then that; and that he says those things, not so much because he whole-heartedly thinks that way but because it's what he tells himself so that he can accept the horrible events that happen around him.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Guts- "Grooovy!"

No but seriously the dialogue from the Lost EPISODE was deeply profound to me. Some of the best writing from the whole series in my opinion. It's also cool when Griffith says "Wings...I want wings." or something close to that.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
Guts- "Grooovy!"

No but seriously the dialogue from the Lost EPISODE was deeply profound to me. Some of the best writing from the whole series in my opinion. It's also cool when Griffith says "Wings...I want wings." or something close to that.
It's "If so, I want wings." http://skullknight.net/idea/

snake1mi

Blood is just red sweat.
After Guts defeated Slan at the Qliphoth, "I took it down. A demon pretending to be an angel. With one strike from this". Somethin like that, I dont remember.

I loved this quote from Luca:
"Human beings are wretched things. They envy anyone who possesses even a little more than themselves. And yet, they despise them if they have nothing. Fear and loathing at the smallest distance..."

Oh, and I also like this one from Puck: "Ah, I'm not being racists about monsters. This guy is so lonely, please be friends with him." (to the skullknight XP)

"I can’t so much as apologize. This is the path i have traveled. To get what i wanted.... I cannot apologize.... No.... I will not apologize."

:femto:

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Guts to Schierke in Enoch village : "Then call it quits... ...Someone tells you to do something you don't want to do, but you do it anyway... That's a fool's errand, just kidding around." -priceless!

I agree with 2007 Aaz that there are so many awesome lines in Berserk, but over the years two lines have always stuck out to me.

The first line is after Skull Knight rescues Luka from falling to her death in Volume 20.

Once she finds out that they're at the base of the tower and not in some afterlife, she asks him," So, in other words, I'm still alive?"

Skull Knight answers," So it would seem. . ."

His response makes me chuckle every time I think about it. I don't know if Flora was right about his heart, but he clearly still has his sense of humor. :badbone:

The second line that I really like is at the end of Guts' first encounter with Zodd when Zodd notices the crimson Beherit. After realizing Griffith's connection to the Godhand, he laughs and says," So. . . It's that kind of ploy." I don't know why, but I think that's such a badass line.

Guts' very first line of the story, after the Apostle that killed Corkus (Xenomorph?) tells Guts that he's fallen into her trap.

"The only one trapped is you, bitch!"

Well, that's the line in the Dark Horse translation. I couldn't find the line translated here, so please tell me if that's not even close.

This was my introduction to Berserk (I had not watched the anime or read any online scans). I just knew it was going to be great from there, seeing the main character tell this freaky monster "lolno" with a big grin on his face and blowing her head off had me hooked right from the start.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
N7Paladin said:
"The only one trapped is you, bitch!"

Well, that's the line in the Dark Horse translation. I couldn't find the line translated here, so please tell me if that's not even close.

The general meaning is correct, however "bitch" is too harsh a translation for "てめえ", which is just a vulgar form of "you".

Top Bottom