What other characters could fit in the Berserk universe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Badass mode ash said:
Thinking about other fantasy series, what characters do you think would fit right into the berserk universe without ruining the feel of the series?

Can't say I've every really given that any thought. I kinda would like to continue not giving that any thought. :troll:

CnC said:
Can't say I've every really given that any thought. I kinda would like to continue not giving that any thought. :troll:

The behind is was to ask what characters would be able to fit into the berserk universe, without meeting any of the main characters, without clashing with the overall style of the universe. They'd just blend in with in the world their in.

Forest Wraith

Evil is born when we lose power over ourselves.
smoke said:

I can't say that I agree that he would fit the series, seeing that the horrors in Berserk are far more terrestrial than Cosmic. However, I did have an argument on another forum about how a fight between Cthulhu and Guts would be epic. I was surprised to note how oddly well matched they are when I thought about it. Namely, that Guts is one of the few characters I can think of who would be prepared mentally and physically and also equipped with a weapon that would most likely damage Cthulhu. Although Guts might need to work another team up with Zodd in order to properly strike at the Mountainous abomination.

Forest Wraith said:
I can't say that I agree that he would fit the series, seeing that the horrors in Berserk are far more terrestrial than Cosmic. However, I did have an argument on another forum about how a fight between Cthulhu and Guts would be epic. I was surprised to note how oddly well matched they are when I thought about it. Namely, that Guts is one of the few characters I can think of who would be prepared mentally and physically and also equipped with a weapon that would most likely damage Cthulhu. Although Guts might need to work another team up with Zodd in order to properly strike at the Mountainous abomination.

And you link to that thread in that forum? It sounds worth checking out.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Any character from Kaoru Kurimoto's Guin Saga. :guts:

I don't really agree with that actually, I think the characters from Guin Saga are too "high fantasy" in nature, and most of them (the remarkable ones) wouldn't fit in the Berserk world IMHO.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Aazealh said:
I don't really agree with that actually, I think the characters from Guin Saga are too "high fantasy" in nature, and most of them (the remarkable ones) wouldn't fit in the Berserk world IMHO.

not even Guin himself ?!(i think its the guy with the leopard mask (its a long time since i read the first book so sorry if i missed his name))
like he could be "similar" to the pseudo apostle wearing a goat mask but without being a pseudo-apostle IMO.. i can definitely be wrong though

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Aazealh said:
Yeah, you're completely wrong, and Guin could never fit in the world of Berserk.

somehow i knew it! haha i just couldn't accept it  ;)

edit: I do am curious to know why you dont think so though? how can he be to "high fantasy"

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
jackson_hurley said:
edit: I do am curious to know why you dont think so though? how can he be to "high fantasy"

He just doesn't fit the setting at all; do I really need to explain why he can't be a pseudo-apostle? Things are completely different in Guin's world, and no, it's not like the heretics' leader with his goat mask. If you can't even be sure what character he is, please don't insist about it. When you have read a least a few of the books, and assuming you still don't understand why it'd pose problem, we can talk about it again.

yesmilord

千年王国
Freaking Todd McFarlane's Spawn.

Well not really. This question is pretty odd IMO. I can't really see any other characters existing in the Berserk universe because the setting is just so unique and the characters are so diverse. In fact, there aren't very many flat characters in the series at all...each person seems to have flipsides and flaws in their personalities, making them seem more real and more human.

Hmm. I don't know how the majority of you guys feel about Claymore, but it is often compared to Berserk. In a sense, yes, the themes are matching (demons, dudes with swords, medieval times, etc.) but Claymore seriously lacks in storyline and character development (and ends up being a brainless shounen in most cases). However, if I were to choose any set of characters from any other universe, Claymore is the first thing that comes to mind.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
yesmilord said:
However, if I were to choose any set of characters from any other universe, Claymore is the first thing that comes to mind.

But... Didn't you just say they weren't really similar except for superficial elements like "demons, dudes with swords, medieval times"?

yesmilord

千年王国
Yes I did, but at the same time I also mention that those are also the "sole" reasons that I would put Claymore characters in the same universe as Berserk and that there really aren't any other series that fall under such similarities (that I'm aware of, anyway).

^
Well I do believe some of the Claymore characters would be able to adapt to the Berserk universe, they fight monsters aswell.
Other characters that "May" be able to survive would be from the series Record of Lodoss War.
However I don't believe even for a minute that such characters would enhance Berserk nor do I believe that they would be able to match the present Berserk cast from a character depth perspective. These characters "fitting in" would be purely from a survival view point.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
yesmilord said:
there really aren't any other series that fall under such similarities (that I'm aware of, anyway).

Really? I think there are plenty of series that meet those vague criteria.

Ramen4ever said:
Well I do believe some of the Claymore characters would be able to adapt to the Berserk universe, they fight monsters aswell.
Other characters that "May" be able to survive would be from the series Record of Lodoss War.

But the problem here, as with any of the uncountable number of series that feature characters that "have swords and fight monsters", is that they don't naturally fit in the world of Berserk and would look odd and alien in it. For example, the nature of the "imported" characters or their skills will likely be incompatible with Berserk's cosmology in a way or another. That's the biggest obstacle here I think. The thread's just about fitting in without ruining the feel of the series, not necessarily surviving against apostles.

Forest Wraith

Evil is born when we lose power over ourselves.
I think I might have something: Characters from Black Lagoon. Guns wouldn't fit of course but I think it might work; like Berserk, the series focuses on the darker aspects of Human nature. God and religion are presented in a realistic fashion so that wouldn't clash with the cosmology of Berserk. Many of the characters are portrayed as being just as ruthless and base as characters in Berserk can be; albeit the characters in Black Lagoon are more static. So they would of course be minor characters.
Balalaika would be the leader of a band of mercenaries, itself a former army of one of the nations involved in the War. Revy, Rock, Dutch and Benny would be there fulfilling functions that can be compared to the ones they fulfill in their own series. While Rock would be a former Ambassador or minor cleric with no concrete faith who has tagged along after having been kidnapped and subsequently disavowed by his patrons . . . Modify as you please. They just better be careful not to piss Guts off. . . .

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Forest Wraith said:
I think I might have something: Characters from Black Lagoon. Guns wouldn't fit of course but I think it might work

But that requires some heavy modifications to work, don't you think? Going from a modern to a fictional medieval-like setting is quite something. I think the drastically different context would significantly change change the characters in that case.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
yesmilord said:
Yes I did, but at the same time I also mention that those are also the "sole" reasons that I would put Claymore characters in the same universe as Berserk and that there really aren't any other series that fall under such similarities (that I'm aware of, anyway).

Hate to break this to you... but, Claymore is a Berserk clone... sorry.

yesmilord

千年王国
Uriel said:
Hate to break this to you... but, Claymore is a Berserk clone... sorry.

I agree, and a cheap imitation at that. Oh boy, I knew by mentioning Claymore that my town would be under siege.

Claymore isn't only an imitation of Berserk, it has quite a few DBZ influences aswell. Thing is, the manga is decent but the anime was butchered completely.

Well.. maybe its just me but I don't really enjoy watching people power up for 15 minutes. Not to mention combat that is so "fast" you just see lines of movement but don't really know what the hell is going on. I mean can you just imagine if Guts "powered" up during a fight. "UHHHHHH ARGHHHHH UHHHHHH, -small rocks start to rise off the ground-"

Maybe Juliet from RomeoxJuliet. She can be the behind-the-scenes hero of a small town.

Berserk is unique, so there are very little characters that can blend into the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom