Guts' physical scars

How badly scarred? Pretty badly scarred. On the badly scarred range of bad, from 'none' all the way to 'dead', 'pretty' is a significant amount of damage.

Well, thing about scars is, they don't stretch too well. They tend to tear open if strained. In a real world scenario, the amount of scarring Guts has over his body would severly limit his mobility unless he went through a great deal of physiotherapy, and even then his flexibility and ability to do what he does (swing around a couple hundred pounds of iron like it was cardboard) would be... limited.

Basically, without the armor, misc magical healing and etc., in a real world case, with that much scarring, he'd have trouble walking.

Bekul said:
Well, thing about scars is, they don't stretch too well. They tend to tear open if strained. In a real world scenario, the amount of scarring Guts has over his body would severly limit his mobility unless he went through a great deal of physiotherapy, and even then his flexibility and ability to do what he does (swing around a couple hundred pounds of iron like it was cardboard) would be... limited.

Basically, without the armor, misc magical healing and etc., in a real world case, with that much scarring, he'd have trouble walking.

What about his ability to sweat? He was running a fever in one of the newer episodes.

Yeah, odds are he can't anymore. At least, not easily, or until he does some major healing.

Problem with not being able to sweat is, you die. Quickly and painfully. Ever cooked an organ? Doesn't take much, and the body can certainly reach temperatures high enough to damage the organs while the person is still alive.

Now, we've seen how the armor can help with torn muscles and bones, but how about more delicate soft-tissue injury? Somehow I don't think something called the "Berserker Armor", intended to be worn until its host is slaughtered, was made with much thought to the finesse of long-term usage.

RedDevilFC

This avatar is totally illogical.
Why does it matter? The amount of physical punishment Guts absorbs is supposed to require a suspension of disbelief anyways; it would kill any normal being a hundred times over.

He's lost enough blood to fill two entire blood banks. The scars and broken bones aren't going to slow him down one bit after the initial recovery, which the manga seems to make pretty clear.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
I think a valuable member of Guts' party would like to have a small say in this discussion.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/FighterboyZ/puck.jpg

Well, depends what you mean by 'completly' - I doubt, for example, that he'll regrow his arm and eye. The one thing that'd do him a world of good, and that he hasn't been able to find for, well, his entire life, is a period of quiet, extended rest, with no battles, no life or death fights, no drama, no stress. Just rest.

If he could find just that at Elfheim, that'd be enough, I think, for him to recover a great deal from his, well, life.

Bekul said:
Well, depends what you mean by 'completly' - I doubt, for example, that he'll regrow his arm and eye. The one thing that'd do him a world of good, and that he hasn't been able to find for, well, his entire life, is a period of quiet, extended rest, with no battles, no life or death fights, no drama, no stress. Just rest.

If he could find just that at Elfhelm, that'd be enough, I think, for him to recover a great deal from his, well, life.

Guts isn't used to kicking back, having to relax is a reasonable challenge for a guy like him.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Badass mode ash said:
Guts isn't used to kicking back, having to relax is a reasonable challenge for a guy like him.

Well, you're wrong. He is able to relax, the opportunity rarely arises is all.

He's not some moron looking to get his ass handed to him at any given moment.

scarredsword

Have you ever killed anyone?
Guts is a walking scar! And with his hair turning white in some places, it really makes me question his health. I think that Berserker Armor is taking a lot out of him every time he fights. It gives him strength, but at a great price. He just needs to sit back and let Serpico and Isidro shoulder some of the burden from time to time.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Scarred Sword said:
He just needs to sit back and let Serpico and Isidro shoulder some of the burden from time to time.

Haha, I'm not sure they could handle a lot of the things Guts takes on.  Remember when Serpico attempted to help Guts fight the makara on the beach? :void:

P

Pencil-smith

That scene was just a plot device to show off Serpico's shiny new cloak. The man is invulnerable. :troll:
But you're right, off course. Guts can't afford to sit back in the majority of the fights.
He'd better be grateful to Roderick for some peace and quiet, cannon fire nonwithstanding.

scarredsword

Have you ever killed anyone?
I suppose the majority of the fights do require Guts' expertise. But if he isn't careful of his health, he won't be any good to anyone. Even though it's kind of annoying, Silke is right to whine and worry every time he goes into battle because of the unhealed wounds and the fact that it gets harder to pull him out of Berserker state each time.

I must say, Guts is remarkably patient with Silke. He seems to respect her.

D

Duststorm

Since you guys are talking about how scarred Guts is. Do you think Guts is more scarred mentally than physically? It is clear that Guts has some serious issues (:chomp:).

Scarred Sword said:
I must say, Guts is remarkably patient with Schierke. He seems to respect her.

I agree, I would have though Guts with his horrible childhood would be at lost how to take care of a young girl.

Kieichi

Nerds get chicks, trust me.
Actually while I'd have to agree that Guts would be very ill suited to care for a child, he would be sympathetic towards her since she has also lost the only adult figures that she holds dear to her aside from her new comrades. Guts also lost anyone he could consider a parent at a very young age and would be able to relate to that.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Scarred Sword said:
I must say, Guts is remarkably patient with Schierke. He seems to respect her.

Seems to me that he's just as patient (if not more) with the other members of his group. And it's not like Schierke's the most troublesome, really.

Kieichi said:
I'd have to agree that Guts would be very ill suited to care for a child

Why? Guts has generally been good with kids.

Okin

The Ultimate Battle Creature
I think the struggles of childhood are what make us able parents. The more we experience in our youth, the better we can relate and understand our children's own issues.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Okin said:
I think the struggles of childhood are what make us able parents. The more we experience in our youth, the better we can relate and understand our children's own issues.

I don't think that's necessarily true, as there are counterexamples on both sides. Guts himself went through periods where the harshness of his own life made him relatively rude and insensitive to others.

Do you think Guts being on the brink of death since child birth, some how works in his favor? When it comes to fighting the darkness? I mention this because his Dragonslayer some how achieved the ability to wound forces from other layers. Of course only after being bathed in the blood of some many. Guts himself likely has had just as much blood on himself as his sword.

Speaking about the dragon slayer, was it really the blood from its victims that enchanted it, or did the "Dragon" it killed have something more do with its abilities to physically harm spirits? Or was just a unconfirmed "legend" behind the sword.

Top Bottom