Berserk Videogames

Couldn't find a thread on it, so here's a thread about it.

I've heard that was's a Dreamcast/PS2 or some variant thereof that was made awhile back. That got me curious, but hard info was hard to find, so I figured I'd see if you guys know anything about it.

First of all I guess, is it real? Is there a real, actual Berserk videogame that got released out there?

Of less importance, is it any good?

Of utmost importance - where can I get it?

I'd probably be in Japanese, though, so, hm. Would there be a script for it, of such a thing were possibly/worth the effort?

It's something I've hoped for in the back of my head for awhile now, and the when I heard that a Berserk game might have actually been made, well, that's got my hopes up, just a bit.

*edit*

Wait, I, huh? I... I deliberatly posted this in the videogames section. *blushing Farnese emoticons* What happen? Main screen? Every zig?

There are two games, actually, one released for the dreamcast (R.I.P.), and another for the PS2. There is an english version for the dreamcast game, but only the japanese version exists for the PS2. And no, the PS2 game is not a port of the dreamcast game, it's a sequel, but also has flashbacks to scenes that occured before. Others can provide availability (or lack thereof :judo:) of such games.

Ah, interesting! Pity about the lack of a PS2 English version though.

Now, is it in the form of all side-story, spinoff, filler, non-cannon sorts of things, or does it try to do an honest job of following the manga?

Drat, if only my Dreamcast were still functional, this'd make me pull it out of storage.

The dreamcast game is a side-story penned by Miura-san himself, with the artwork and character designs all done by him as well. The soundtrack is the same guy who did the Berserk anime (I think), and is pretty top-notch. The PS2 game actually follows events in the manga (from the beginning of Millennium Falcon onward), while diverging a bit for some side-story stuff as well (which I also think was penned by :miura: ).

!

Wow. Um. Wow. Didn't realize it was so cannonical!

Has as summary of these games ever been posted here? If Miura-san had so much influence with these games, then they might actually offer insights into the Berserk world that is absent from the manga.

Forest Wraith

Evil is born when we lose power over ourselves.
yota821 said:
The dreamcast game is a side-story penned by Miura-san himself, with the artwork and character designs all done by him as well. The soundtrack is the same guy who did the Berserk anime (I think), and is pretty top-notch. The PS2 game actually follows events in the manga (from the beginning of Millennium Falcon onward), while diverging a bit for some side-story stuff as well (which I also think was penned by :miura: ).

I could have sworn that it was actually the PS2 game that had a degree of Miura's supervision.
Furthermore, the Dreamcast game Sword of the Berserk: Guts' Rage was just a story made up that is in no way cannon to the series. While PS2's Berserk Millennium Falcon Arc: Chapter of the Record of the Holy Demon War has cannon elements but uses a character that doesn't appear in the Manga as a plot device.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
Forest Wraith said:
I could have sworn that it was actually the PS2 game that had a degree of Miura's supervision.
Furthermore, the Dreamcast game Sword of the Berserk: Guts' Rage was just a story made up that is in no way cannon to the series. While PS2's Berserk Millennium Falcon Arc: Chapter of the Record of the Holy Demon War has cannon elements but uses a character that doesn't appear in the Manga as a plot device.

Sorry, but Yota banged the nail on the head.

Bekul, If you want more info, here's a thread on the Ps2 game: http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=6680.0

thread on the Dreamcast game: http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=6698.0 and also the soundtrack of that game: http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=4943.0

Hope this helps.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Bekul said:
Couldn't find a thread on it, so here's a thread about it.

You must not have searched well. There are many threads on the subject, and big ones too (see what Scorpio linked for example). They're in the Berserk section though, where they should be. I moved your thread so it'd be in the appropriate section too.

Bekul said:
Of less importance, is it any good? Of utmost importance - where can I get it?

The DC game is a more interesting experience as far as the story, artwork (an artbook was released) and music go, however it's quite short and the gameplay design has a few annoying aspects. The PS2 game is of course more recent, the gameplay is much more satisfying, however the story isn't all that great and it can get boring at times. The in-game music is less memorable too, though the main theme is great.

They're both good games as long as you're a fan. As for where to get them, I'm afraid the only way to go is second hand. You won't find one new. They're not hard to find on auction sites.

yota821 said:
And no, the PS2 game is not a port of the dreamcast game, it's a sequel, but also has flashbacks to scenes that occured before.

It's not really a sequel actually, the two games don't have any relation other than being Berserk games.

Bekul said:
Now, is it in the form of all side-story, spinoff, filler, non-cannon sorts of things, or does it try to do an honest job of following the manga?

Like yota821 said, the DC game is a side-story, and while it ultimately wasn't incorporated into the manga's storyline, Miura originally had planned to. He was really very involved in the creation of the game. As a result we usually consider the events depicted as semi-canon. The PS2 game is another deal, it mostly follows the story but it's more of an "alternate universe" kind of thing. Many big elements of the story were altered for convenience, lots of filler was added to prolong the game's life, etc. And there's also a little side story that was added that Miura created. Overall Miura's involvement in this project was very limited though, and he's made it clear that the game's story and such are for kicks and not to be taken too seriously. It's all definitely non-canon.

Bekul said:
Drat, if only my Dreamcast were still functional, this'd make me pull it out of storage.

Well Dreamcasts don't cost much these days, you know.

yota821 said:
The soundtrack is the same guy who did the Berserk anime (I think), and is pretty top-notch.

Yeah, Susumu Hirasawa. He did all but 5 of the tracks on the DC game's OST, as well as the theme song of the PS2 game (Sign) and its remix (Sign 2).

Bekul said:
Has as summary of these games ever been posted here?

You would know if you had thoroughly searched the forum for answers before making this thread. :puck:

Forest Wraith said:

You don't know what you're talking about here. When that is the case, please refrain from posting before you have made sure that what you say is correct. I know the process of actually checking the validity of your information can be tedious, but it's necessary in order to ensure quality posting. Otherwise it's just going to confuse other people, and I'm sure no one wants that. Thanks in advance.

Forest Wraith

Evil is born when we lose power over ourselves.
Aazealh said:
You don't know what you're talking about here. When that is the case, please refrain from posting before you have made sure that what you say is correct. I know the process of actually checking the validity of your information can be tedious, but it's necessary in order to ensure quality posting. Otherwise it's just going to confuse other people, and I'm sure no one wants that. Thanks in advance.

Normally, I would have but like I stated: "I could have sworn." Oops. . . .

A

avidwriter

Heck if you have a DC I have the Berserk game for it and I'll be willing to sell it. Moderate price of course I'm not greedy.

Top Bottom