Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
A.C said:
Holy shit!
Jin is alive
!!

I always figured they would touch on
Rousseau and on Jin
this season... but at the same time!? Awesome storytelling!! I've been waiting for the past four years just to see
Montand and his missing arm
and now it might actually happen!

"Thank you LORD!!"
[Flash]
"I TAKE THAT BACK!!!"

Lol. Great stuff. This season started slow put has steadily gotten uphill since then. Can't wait till next week!

Yeah that was GOOD!.
Especially Sawyer yelling "Thak you Lord" part. Jin got a Tan :casca:

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Fuck
Jin
. Who cares about him anyway...
I must say, every episode without Jack/Kate/Sawyer lameness is a treat. Therefor this one was okish.

X

Xem

When we found out
Widmore was one of the Others during one of the flashes to the past
my girlfriend literally turned to me with a big smile and said, "I love lost!" I had to agree that was pretty cool, but I can't say I feel that much enthusiasm about it. The episode after that with a focus on Desmond was refreshing as well, and I got a kick out of Sawyer's "Thank you God! - I take that back!" line as well.

Thankfully
Jin isn't dead
, that really changes a lot, at least as far as Sun's current character development goes.

On another note, I'm in the middle of watching the old '60s series 'The Prisoner' for the first time (NightCrawler mentioned it two pages back) and it's been interesting so far. It feels like a combination of LOST and Prison Break but more sophisticated. It's not really keeping me hooked as much as the latter two but it has some good things going for it. My favorite part being the intro with Number Six's resignation. I've seen 6 episodes so far and I liked episode 2, 3 and 5 the best (not sure why ep 5 was called "schizoid man", I know that was the pass word but schizoid isn't the same as identity loss/multiple personalities...)

NightCrawler

There are various unofficial orders (and the one intended by Patrick McGoohan) in which you should watch the episodes (and they make more sense that way). They're all over the web, just check out The Prisoner's imdb boards.

EDIT: Nevermind, you can just check this site - http://stason.org/TULARC/tv/the-prisoner/4-In-what-order-should-I-watch-the-episodes-The-Prisoner.html or wiki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Prisoner_episodes

Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I started rewatching the episodes from the beginning in the '6 of 1' prefered order instead of the original UK airing order I was watching before. Yeah, they make more sense now...

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Cool, hope you enjoy The Prisoner, it's one of my all time favorites too. And the 'I swear to shit it's not related' series that preceded it, Danger Man (aka Secret Agent), ain't bad either. That's a straight up spy show though so not so much with the mindfucking.

That was probably the single most reveal-filled episode of LOST thus far and a remarkably sophisticated piece of writing. Hard to believe that so much stuff happened in the episode while still being so emotionally satisfying with such strong writing for the characters.

Montand losing his arm did not disappoint and we finally learned what the 'sickness' is and the answer was more than satisfying, and made for some disturbing scenes. Daniel's time spent with Charlotte was really well-written, giving us several concrete answers, some intriguing questions, and still remaining an emotionally satisfying scene for the characters. Overall it's up there with the best death scenes for any character.

Ben's big emotional release was great and funny, and everything with Jin's ring was excellent and his love for Sun has rarely been more purely expressed. But the finest moments were probably the Locke stuff and I think this episode makes up for the poor way his character was handled in last season. Everything from when Locke and company showed up at the Orchid Well to when Locke moved the wheel are pretty much some of the best-written, best-directed, and best-acted scenes ever on this show and the conversation Locke and Christian had is one of the best exchanges on the show. Classic LOST in so many ways. The flashing light coming from down the well and the frozen wheel off its axle causing the time skipping stood out as great imagery that will stay in my mind for a good while.

And then the final scene. After everything we've seen in just ONE EPISODE, one forgets about how many elements LOST really has until the very end. Jack is with Ben and Sun. Jack's father was in the previous scene talking to Locke. Ben has already met Locke. Ben's right there trying to convince Sun, whose husband just told Locke not to return with Sun. They're all going to meet Faraday's mom. Out of nowhere, DESMOND shows up. Desmond, of all people... one of the most beloved characters in LOST. Because of all the awesomeness, I had almost forgotten about his whole story. His relationship to Eloise, Penny and how Ben wants to kill her, etc. When he shows up and sees Eloise and she stares with that creepy look, it brings a completely different element to the story, yet it all fits together perfectly. It was so epic seeing Ben and Desmond finally in a scene together. Phenomenal episode. The pacing felt like a Season Finale or a Season Finale setup episode at the very least. And this is only episode 5, less than a third into the season! Wow.

LOST is a bleeding-edge TV juggernaut, an overwhelming epic of gripping drama, intense plot-twists and remorseless time-travel that has crushed both fan and disbeliever alike in its relentless path of story-telling reinvention. Give me back my breath!

(p.s: I've almost finished watching The Prisoner. Two more episodes left.)

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
If that was the most revealing episode of Lost ever, how telling that it was actually kind of a bore. A.C, please, your superlatives are past the point of unintentional mockery of the show.

Anyway, for all we've seen, which amounts to nothing we didn't already guess, assume, or even needed to know, all we really found out is that they're going to drag all this BS out even longer (probably until next season with the get back to the island crap; btw, I know I'm not the only one who realizes we're watching the show go in a giant circle). It seemed promising when they had all the Oceanic 6 together except Hurley (who they'd have soon), but now they have to go get all those stupid characters back again. I'd give them the benefit of the doubt that they could do that in an episode or two, but the way things are going it's probably going to take one per character or some ridiculous filler laden scenario.

I too liked Ben's outburst, though here's a simple question that isn't mired in all the flashy time travel BS meant to distract you from from the mediocre writing. Why did he have them all meet at the pier if they weren't going to leave directly from there, shouldn't the meeting place have been the church, so they'd all be there with Mrs. Hawking anyway? I guess evenBen's scenarios are only as good as the writers'. =)

Also, not to promote myself, but...

Griffith said:
If the plot could stand on it's own, the series wouldn't need to rely so heavily on mystery and gimmicks to jumble it all up, which has been it's bread and butter since the beginning. When it's all laid out, or if you look at it all laid out, it'll likely just be over the top or underwhelming, as much of it has been, but without the benefit of a caveat like there could still be some incredible payoff in the end that will make it the best story ever. More likely, not. It's like a Rubik's cube, complex and interesting while it's messed up, but nothing special once solved. Imagine a lot of this stuff presented in a straight forward, matter of fact manner; it would be hokey and silly. But when you present it like this with mystery, smoke and mirrors, slight of hand and MacGuffins, it can take on an almost religious sense of vague importance, which people naturally get wrapped up in, even if it's just totally fucking ridiculous when you look at it straight on.

I'm feeling mighty confident about this statement the way things are unfolding. It might be the most pertinent Lost theory EVER! =)

I think the O6 story has moved at a decent pace. It's true it's not the most exciting stuff, but I would be somewhat disappointed if Sayid, Hurley and Kate changed their mind so easily. Desmond will need some serious convincing too. I can buy that Jack and Sun are onboard but they need to give the remaining characters some proper motivation (hopefully without dragging it out though).

You have a point about Ben that he should have had them all meet at the church instead.

And lol at the last episode of The Prisoner. Yeah that was a great esoteric series. I might need to get that on DVD sometime. The last 5 episodes were somewhat tiresome though... I kind of feel like those were better to 'think' about/remember the day after watching them than actually watching them.

The 'super computer' episode was kind of lame though. There's no way an electronic device would get blown up if you input a nonsensical question like 'why?' Lame AI cliché.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Just watched the last 3 episodes in a row because I was curious about the posts in this thread... My first comment is that I laughed every time those guys spoke French. The girl playing Rousseau had a good enough accent, but the others sounded Canadian at best and with rather thick accents for some. Not only that but their delivery... I wouldn't be surprised if some didn't speak the language at all and just learned the phonetics by heart. Felt very awkward.

A.C said:
Holy shit! Jin is alive!!

And I'm very glad for that because he's one of my favorite characters, but man, his come-back is ridiculous. He jumped into the water while no one was looking, uh? What a load of crap. Why even kill him in the first place? Just for a cheap thrill? Because it feels cheap now.

Deci said:
When we found out Widmore was one of the Others during one of the flashes to the past

That was good, I agree.

Deci said:
Thankfully Jin isn't dead, that really changes a lot, at least as far as Sun's current character development goes.

Yeah, I didn't really like the direction it was taking but now it seems back on the right tracks.

A.C said:
That was probably the single most reveal-filled episode of LOST thus far and a remarkably sophisticated piece of writing. Hard to believe that so much stuff happened in the episode while still being so emotionally satisfying with such strong writing for the characters.

Montand losing his arm did not disappoint and we finally learned what the 'sickness' is and the answer was more than satisfying, and made for some disturbing scenes. Daniel's time spent with Charlotte was really well-written, giving us several concrete answers, some intriguing questions

Yeah those time-travelling plot-holes were so sophisticated man... The finest piece of writing ever!! And so many answers... Montand's arm, one of the biggest mysteries ever, finally answered! And seriously, what's the use of Charlotte's character again? What has she brought to the show? She's like Miles, useless except for being a cynical smartass. And Faraday's facial expressions are about as convincing as Aaron's. What her death did was make me realize how much of a waste of time every scene about her character has been.

A.C said:
and everything with Jin's ring was excellent and his love for Sun has rarely been more purely expressed.

I think it was more purely expressed ages ago when he was in the water yelling "자기야".

A.C said:
But the finest moments were probably the Locke stuff and I think this episode makes up for the poor way his character was handled in last season.

Yeah, he hurt himself, that's basically the summary of his character. Old man who's wounded but struggles on and heals real fast because of some vague magical stuff. He the Lost equivalent of Heroes' Claire Bennet.

A.C said:
Everything from when Locke and company showed up at the Orchid Well to when Locke moved the wheel are pretty much some of the best-written, best-directed, and best-acted scenes ever on this show and the conversation Locke and Christian had is one of the best exchanges on the show.

:ganishka:

"Can you help me stand up?"
"No... I can't."

EPIC DRAMA

A.C said:
And then the final scene. After everything we've seen in just ONE EPISODE, one forgets about how many elements LOST really has until the very end. Jack is with Ben and Sun. Jack's father was in the previous scene talking to Locke. Ben has already met Locke. Ben's right there trying to convince Sun, whose husband just told Locke not to return with Sun. They're all going to meet Faraday's mom. Out of nowhere, DESMOND shows up. Desmond, of all people... one of the most beloved characters in LOST. Because of all the awesomeness, I had almost forgotten about his whole story. His relationship to Eloise, Penny and how Ben wants to kill her, etc.

Well I hadn't. And I was bored waiting for it to happen. Just more messy attempts to tie everything together. Who expected Desmond, right? After all, he was only supposed to go there the whole time! And what an extraordinary coincidence that he happened to arrive at the same time! Who could have seen it coming? Everybody, that's who.

A.C said:
It was so epic seeing Ben and Desmond finally in a scene together.

Yeah, reminded me of Robert De Niro and Al Pacino in Heat.

NightCrawler

Griffith said:
Anyway, for all we've seen, which amounts to nothing we didn't already guess, assume, or even needed to know, all we really found out is that they're going to drag all this BS out even longer (probably until next season with the get back to the island crap; btw, I know I'm not the only one who realizes we're watching the show go in a giant circle). It seemed promising when they had all the Oceanic 6 together except Hurley (who they'd have soon), but now they have to go get all those stupid characters back again.

That scene with Sayid and Kate leaving was just another moment of "yay more filler to come" that i usually say to myself when watching this show.

Aazealh said:
Yeah those time-travelling plot-holes were so sophisticated man... The finest piece of writing ever!! And so many answers... Montand's arm, one of the biggest mysteries ever, finally answered! And seriously, what's the use of Charlotte's character again? What has she brought to the show? She's like Miles, useless except for being a cynical smartass. And Faraday's facial expressions are about as convincing as Aaron's. What her death did was make me realize how much of a waste of time every scene about her character has been.

:ganishka:

Faraday was as sorry for her death as all of us.

See? They didn't drag out the O6 story, the way they got
Sayid on the plane
last week was ingenius.

Aazealh said:
JHe jumped into the water while no one was looking, uh? What a load of crap. Why even kill him in the first place? Just for a cheap thrill? Because it feels cheap now.

They needed to get Sun some motivation. I think it was great, the best "is he dead or not" mystery from any finale. Of course he jumped in the water when he saw the helicopter was leaving, who wouldn't? I'm just surprised there were no other survivors.

Aazealh said:
Yeah those time-travelling plot-holes were so sophisticated man... The finest piece of writing ever!!

I thought it was the finest Lost episode since the ending of Season Three (and until the last two came along :guts: .) The episode managed to compress four meaningful stories (Danielle and the Monster, Sun and Jin, Daniel and Charlotte, Locke and the Island) into a single hour. Rather than feeling disjointed, though, each of these stories linked together beautifully, and offered its own take on that overarching theme expressed in its title ("This Place is Death") and I felt the actors responded well to the script. It was also the first time in a long while I found myself intimidated by an episode of LOST.

Aazealh said:
And Faraday's facial expressions are about as convincing as Aaron's. What her death did was make me realize how much of a waste of time every scene about her character has been.

Faraday is a scientist, they don't do facial expressions. Intellectuals have problems expressing themelves. And yes Charlotte was death fodder, she was supposed to die earlier but her arc in Season 4 got cut due to the strike so she got dragged into Season 5. I didn't mind.

These last two episodes may have been the best this season though. With the crescendo this season is reaching so far, this season is shaping up to be even better than Season 1.

Locke's conversations with the O6, especially with Kate were heartbreaking. He really started to doubt himself, wanting to end his life. I wasn't sure we were going to get a proper flashback of this, but we did, and it was more sad than I would've imagined. I was a little confused by Ben killing Locke after he made such an effort to talk him out of suicide. I can only think of 2 possibilities. 1) He needed the information Locke had and after he got it, it was time to get rid of him or 2) Locked was not supposed to die by his own hand, so Ben did the deed. I wonder if Ben knew at the time that Locke had to die and be returned to the island or if he found that out later.
btw, Locke died the same way that his father did. Strange.

Can't wait for the reunion between Locke, Kate, Jack, and Sayid on Island. So did the Others know that Flight 316 would crash on the Hydra Island? They were building that mysterious "runway" thing in Season 3. Great opening sequence for this episode. I was totally confused at first. =)

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
When I saw Ben talk John out of committing suicide I was confused as to why? Then seconds later he kills him. I was :isidro: What a selfish bastard. Then after absorbing the scene. I came to similar conclusions as you A.C. Maybe he needed to die by other means, rather than suicide. Was Ben suppose to be the one? Who knows? Finally, at the end Ben comesback to John. Maybe some explaining will be exchanged between them.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
A.C said:
See? They didn't drag out the O6 story, the way they got
Sayid on the plane
last week was ingenius.

Hahah, seriously? How was it ingenious exactly? It just came out of nowhere as an easy way to do it without an extensive explanation.

A.C said:
They needed to get Sun some motivation. I think it was great, the best "is he dead or not" mystery from any finale. Of course he jumped in the water when he saw the helicopter was leaving, who wouldn't? I'm just surprised there were no other survivors.

The way it was shown really left no possibility for him to have jumped in the water, and from where exactly? A porthole? :schierke: Besides, with that big of an explosion, jumping into the water right before it happened probably wouldn't have helped much.

A.C said:
I thought it was the finest Lost episode since the ending of Season Three (and until the last two came along :guts: .)

Of course, the newest episode is always the best since the last one and until the next one.

A.C said:
Faraday is a scientist, they don't do facial expressions.

My God, now that's some rationalization.

A.C said:
These last two episodes may have been the best this season though. With the crescendo this season is reaching so far, this season is shaping up to be even better than Season 1.

Yeah man, I can't get enough of
Locke crying

A.C said:
I was a little confused by Ben killing Locke after he made such an effort to talk him out of suicide. I can only think of 2 possibilities. 1) He needed the information Locke had and after he got it, it was time to get rid of him or 2) Locked was not supposed to die by his own hand, so Ben did the deed. I wonder if Ben knew at the time that Locke had to die and be returned to the island or if he found that out later.

I saw it coming myself, and by a mile. Anyway, it seems to me that it's the mention of Eloise Hawking that pushed Ben to kill Locke.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe he needed to die by other means, rather than suicide.
Well, I haven't seen the last few episodes, but just in reading what you guys were reviewing, I have a thought to add. Remember in Season 3 all the focus about Locke not getting his own hands bloodied by killing his father? Yet at the time, Ben was trying to force his hand and get Locke to do the deed himself. I always thought that would come into play later on. Maybe this is another manifestation of that, only this time Ben is helping Locke.

Like I said, just a thought.

NightCrawler

This latest episode was a waste of time and definitely one of the worst ever. I was so bored that the impact at the end did nothing to me.

While I admit the last few episodes haven't really felt all that important, I'm sure the whole thing flows a whole lot better watching them all together.

As for Locke and Ben, it's obvious that Ben needed Locke to die as he stated they basically needed a corpse to help get everyone back on the island, but I don't think Ben ever expected Locke to come back. He did end the episode by telling him he'd miss him. I definitely think they're leaning Ben more and more towards being the 'bad guy' but who knows how they'll end it when all's said and done.

NightCrawler said:
This latest episode was a waste of time and definitely one of the worst ever. I was so bored that the impact at the end did nothing to me.

It seems you miss the point of what makes LOST a great show. John was thinking that he would be the hero and give these great, persuasive, powerful speeches, but ended up giving little, wimpy, short talks. He got off the island, and once again his life was falling apart and he wasn't the man he wanted to be.

Maybe he had to go and talk to them all not so much to convince them all back, but to get him to face something inside himself. It seemed that each conversation stripped off a layer of confidence in Locke. As if in light of each person's reaction his personal worth was lessened. Sayid tells him that he married Nadia and had the best 9 months of his life.... Walt asking about his dad and Locke not being able to tell him the truth... Hurley not believing in him and running away from him... Kate questioning whether he understands what love is... and culminating in Jack telling him that he isn't special or important, that he is nothing. He seemed more and more deflated after each encounter but not because of the reactions he got, but rather from introspection. I think this is what getting off the island really was... his last test.

There is something very profound about it, and this is why LOST is much more than just a mystery/adventure type show. I love how the writers set us up to think that Locke's conversations were going to be earth-shattering, just like Locke thought they were going to be, but then they ended up being complete failures. Once again Locke was forced to come face-to-face with the weak, helpless, Locke that existed off the island. His being in a wheelchair again also reinforced this. In short, Locke failed, but somehow destiny turned his failure into a brilliant success. Kudos to the producers who wrote these last two episodes.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Here's a picture of my boss and Jin, I think he resembles Jin alittle bit.

sdc10556.jpg

jin1.jpg

I don't care if your boss slightly resembles Jin, this isn't your blog. I realize it's probably not my place to say that, but I'm not caring. :casca:

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
I just saw the latest episode. It felt kinda like a filler episode, but after the last one I guess it was ok to slow the pace down. So mister Lafake and others joined the ranks of Dharma. Only to have the island deserters return and smack Sawyer's words back into his throat.

Top Bottom