TV Series: Lost

Aazealh said:
Originally the whispers were supposed to be the Others themselves if my memory serves me well. It's what Rousseau said way back then.
Even last season, Ben warned the young Rousseau that if she were to hear whispers, she should run the other way. So them really being ghosts definitely is a pretty recent idea (it actually pains me to call that an "idea").

To be honest, she and her crew of losers were kind of a joke to begin with. Served no purpose other than to be a mysterious new group of people with some secret knowledge.
C'mon, compared to Caesar, they were major players.
"But... But... I introduced myself to Jack at the airport! Surely, that was foreshadowing something!? And my casting sides said I was a killer or something like that!?"
Poor guy.

It's a bit like what happened with Ana-Lucia... We got that one long ominous shot of Jack and her when they first saw each other on the island. Probably because of that whole "army" plot. And how did that one go?
"Sure, killing Ana-Lucia right there and then was always part of the plan!"
Well, yeah, clearly.

Yeah, especially since Michael was supposed to have redeemed himself on the ship. Guess not after all.
But that was Christian's ghost! Who's been established as actually being the Evil Smoke Monster after all! Well, sorta! Even if there was no way he could just show up in the freighter like that!

Hahaha yeah, you'd think by now they would have realized it's not an experimental VTOL aircraft.
Especially considering the pilot is right there with them. Shouldn't he know better?
'Guess he already forgot about the gruesome death of his co-pilot, too. Ah, well, it was, like, days ago. And these things happen all the time anyway.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Olivier Hague said:
Even last season, Ben warned the young Rousseau that if she were to hear whispers, she should run the other way. So them really being ghosts definitely is a pretty recent idea (it actually pains me to call that an "idea").

Alright, who volunteers to go read all the fan-made transcripts of what the whispers say to check against this new revelation?

*crickets*

Olivier Hague said:
C'mon, compared to Caesar, they were major players.

Shit man, I had to check out who that guy was, had already forgotten about him.

Olivier Hague said:
It's a bit like what happened with Ana-Lucia... We got that one long ominous shot of Jack and her when they first saw each other on the island. Probably because of that whole "army" plot. And how did that one go?
"Sure, killing Ana-Lucia right there and then was always part of the plan!"

Yeah, good times... Looking back, I think that's actually when the show started going down for me. Then Eko's death in season 3 sealed the deal.

Olivier Hague said:
But that was Christian's ghost! Who's been established as actually being the Evil Smoke Monster after all! Well, sorta! Even if there was no way he could just show up in the freighter like that!

Has it really be confirmed to be him? Because the house was surrounded by the black powder that's supposed to repel him as well... I thought it was just another unresolved plot point.

Olivier Hague said:
Especially considering the pilot is right there with them. Shouldn't he know better?

Oh yeah, good point, even Lapidus is around. Ugh.

Aazealh said:
Alright, who volunteers to go read all the fan-made transcripts of what the whispers say to check against this new revelation?
I love Lost fans.

Looking back, I think that's actually when the show started going down for me. Then Eko's death in season 3 sealed the deal.
I was already quite a bit skeptical during season 1. Way too many different supernatural elements.
Then, with season 2 and the Dharma reveal, I thought "hey, even if they had no idea where they were going in the first season, maybe they fixed that over the summer... we'll just have to forget about the earlier stuff..." But season 2 got incredibly silly faster than you could say "WAAAAAALT!". The season finale was stupid in so many ways, it was mind-boggling. No faith in the writers whatsoever from that point. No reason to believe in a miracle for the show either.

Has it really be confirmed to be him? Because the house was surrounded by the black powder that's supposed to repel him as well...
Ah, but the circle was broken when Ilana and Bram got there! So whoever was using the cabin (and it wasn't Jacob, according to them) might have escaped!
(well, the Smoke Monster had been roaming around the island for years anyway, but hey: details!)

Also, the writers said Jacob never appeared as someone else, Claire said that her father told her the Others had her baby, she was in the cabin with him when Locke was told to move the island, Christian is the one who told Sun and Lapidus to follow "Locke"...

I mean, sure, Christian was obviously really supposed to appear on Jacob's behalf, initially, but the writers gradually changed their mind later on...
"Hey, we could say there's also an "evil Jacob"! And we could blame him for the Others, or all those times "Jacob" or his spokesmen acted like assholes! Oh, hey! We could even say he's the Smoke Monster! And even that we haven't even seen or heard anything from the real Jacob yet!"
Shockingly, the end result is a mess.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Olivier Hague said:
I was already quite a bit skeptical during season 1. Way too many different supernatural elements.

The smoke monster was a really big letdown for me back then. The rest I could live with, but the monster was never "scary" again after that.

Olivier Hague said:
The season finale was stupid in so many ways, it was mind-boggling. No faith in the writers whatsoever from that point. No reason to believe in a miracle for the show either.

Amen to that. Though I can't deny I kept watching it just out of curiosity for what would happen next. :farnese: Well, that and to diss the show on SK.net. :iva:

Olivier Hague said:
Ah, but the circle was broken when Ilana and Bram got there! So whoever was using the cabin (and it wasn't Jacob, according to them) might have escaped!

True, but then again I'm not sure they were especially reliable. Bah, whatever, it's not like we don't know the writers were forced into that plot point because the fans had analyzed the darkened shot of the actor's eye and found a match.

Olivier Hague said:
Claire said that her father told her the Others had her baby

Unless I'm mistaken I believe it was the Man in Black who told her that. He admits it to Kate after Claire jumps her, telling her it was so Claire had a goal and didn't lose her mind or something like that. Of course if she does say it was her father who told her about it I guess that proves they're supposed to be one and the same.

Olivier Hague said:
she was in the cabin with him when Locke was told to move the island

That's right, but at the time she was supposed to be a ghost, like him (after being killed back at the Others' little maple town). Then came the retcon that she wasn't really dead but had been somehow corrupted. Makes me wonder if we'll see more of Christian before the end. 6 episodes left, right? Then we can be free! Damn, I'm warming up to Smokey's ideals now. :void:

Aazealh said:
The smoke monster was a really big letdown for me back then. The rest I could live with, but the monster was never "scary" again after that.
Ah, well, I guess I'm the forgiving kind for that sort of stuff... SFX are expensive, after all.

I can't deny I kept watching it just out of curiosity for what would happen next. :farnese: Well, that and to diss the show on SK.net. :iva:
Precisely!

Unless I'm mistaken I believe it was the Man in Black who told her that. He admits it to Kate after Claire jumps her, telling her it was so Claire had a goal and didn't lose her mind or something like that. Of course if she does say it was her father who told her about it I guess that proves they're supposed to be one and the same.
In usual Lost fashion, the writers kept the whole thing conveniently vague:
JIN: Claire, how do you know they took him? How can you be so sure?
CLAIRE: How can I be so sure? Well, first my father told me, and then my friend told me, so I'm pretty damn sure.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Olivier Hague said:
Ah, well, I guess I'm the forgiving kind for that sort of stuff... SFX are expensive, after all.

I bet they saved a lot of money on that one. :iva:

Olivier Hague said:
In usual Lost fashion, the writers kept the whole thing conveniently vague:

Hahaha I see. Thanks for posting the exact line. It makes little sense for the real Christian to have told her that, so I guess we can assume Smokey was posing as him at least the one time he told her about it. But then wouldn't she have seen through the illusion, like she does for the Locke disguise? I sense another well-crafted plot point.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Walter said:
Mega 64's take on LOST's drama http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwIDd8HlRJY
You know, I kept meaning to post that... but I've never watched Lost... it's still funny to me for some reason though.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Dar Klink said:
You know, I kept meaning to post that... but I've never watched Lost... it's still funny to me for some reason though.

Well now you have, because that's exactly how the show is. Anyway, this week's episode was just more of the same bullshit.

The deal with trusting/not trusting Claire was retarded. I mean they're leaving her behind once again, which is the reason she tells Jack she trusts Locke: because he was there when they abandoned her. Good thinking there Jack. But then she comes up and Kate pulls the Aaron card and OK now she trusts them and she's not corrupted anymore. Gah.

Desmond's speech to Sayid was also really weak, I mean I would have shot him for free myself at that point. But no, zombie Sayid also found his conscience in his spare pants and couldn't do it. You'd think Rousseau's lover and the father of her child would have hesitated when he was in the same situation. Whatever.

What really struck me in this episode is how it all seems to be a contest to see who's the stupidest. Locke's actions make no sense for example. 3 losers come and threaten him and his camp. Among them is Widmore's right-hand girl. He's pissed but he lets them go? Why? Why not go after them and just slay them in the jungle? And on the beach when they're being blown to bits you see him standing like an idiot for 10 seconds before he rescues Jack. Is that to show the audience that he's indestructible? Because we'd already got the point, thanks.

And Jack. Wow, the character's really become worthless. Doesn't know what he wants, doesn't know what to do, changes his mind all the time. A real larva. And of course great finish, with Jin & Sun's reunion expedited in 30 seconds, complete with a gross explanation to the crowd from Lapidus, straight out of a Scooby-Doo episode. "LOOKS LIKE SOMEONE GOT HER VOICE BACK!" Too bad he didn't wink to seal the deal, that would have been perfect.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Sounds like I really missed out by skipping this one!

Hahaha yeah, honestly man I think at this point you could just watch the finale and not miss anything.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
I was also like ?? that Sun
gets her english back in a rush of emo of seeing Jin and so they get to superemotionally declare love n stuff.. in stilted ass english instead of you know the language they've actually spoken all their lives.

Also Jack for fuck's sake at least put your shoes in your backpack before you go for a swim.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Lithrael said:
Also Jack for fuck's sake at least put your shoes in your backpack before you go for a swim.

Well Sawyer didn't need to keep his rifle out of sea water, so why would Jack have a problem swimming with his shoes (and a backpack) on?

Lithrael said:
I was also like ?? that Sun
gets her english back in a rush of emo of seeing Jin and so they get to superemotionally declare love n stuff.. in stilted ass english instead of you know the language they've actually spoken all their lives.

The worst part is that they obviously put in her whole loss of English in the first place just to try to make her reunion have more impact. Instead it had exactly the opposite effect. It made one of the long awaited moments of the last two seasons to come across as really cheesy and forced. And I'm with you Lithrael. I was really bothered by the fact that they were speaking English to each other, not to mention that Sun had no way to know that Jin could speak proper English as far as I recall.

Emotionless Sayid actually feeling guilty was really dumb too. Nothing more to add about that.

The bombs that were being lobbed at the beach... the first mortar or whatever they're lobbing resulted in a huge explosion, but the ones they launched with the intent of killing Locke's people looked tiny.

Jack jumps out into the middle of the ocean instead of just waiting to get to the other island. He looked pretty far out for one, for two, didn't they mention sharks in one of the earlier seasons? Sawyer made a crazy swim after jumping out of that helicopter though so I guess Jack is cool too.

Also, have they explained how Widmore found the island yet? If so I missed it. What was the purpose of them moving the island in the first place, or did it not actually move anywhere outside of flickering through time for three years? Also, the first time Widmore heads back to the island he brought a bunch of tough guy mercenaries and this time he only brings pudgy scientists to what is supposed to be the battle of the century? Blarg.

Honestly, none of this would really matter to me if the show was entertaining, but things have gotten really boring. At least 24 is looking to end on a high note.

Also added:
Aazealh said:
And on the beach when they're being blown to bits you see him standing like an idiot for 10 seconds before he rescues Jack. Is that to show the audience that he's indestructible? Because we'd already got the point, thanks.

For Aazealh: http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421064118/lostpedia/images/d/d5/6x13bombardment3.png

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CowTip said:
And I'm with you Lithrael. I was really bothered by the fact that they were speaking English to each other, not to mention that Sun had no way to know that Jin could speak proper English as far as I recall.

Perfect example of how not to write a plot. Because they had to show she could speak English again as soon as she met up with Jin, they made it completely unnatural. And what purpose did her non-English speaking phase serve? That's right, none at all.

CowTip said:
The bombs that were being lobbed at the beach... the first mortar or whatever they're lobbing resulted in a huge explosion, but the ones they launched with the intent of killing Locke's people looked tiny.

I'd like to know what weapon they're using to fire those super precise shots over that distance personally.

CowTip said:
Jack jumps out into the middle of the ocean instead of just waiting to get to the other island. He looked pretty far out for one, for two, didn't they mention sharks in one of the earlier seasons? Sawyer made a crazy swim after jumping out of that helicopter though so I guess Jack is cool too.

Well he had to get off Sawyer's personal boat right there and then. HIS boat.

CowTip said:
Also, have they explained how Widmore found the island yet?

Nope.

CowTip said:
What was the purpose of them moving the island in the first place, or did it not actually move anywhere outside of flickering through time for three years? Also, the first time Widmore heads back to the island he brought a bunch of tough guy mercenaries and this time he only brings pudgy scientists to what is supposed to be the battle of the century? Blarg.

Uhh yeah, blargh indeed.

CowTip said:
Honestly, none of this would really matter to me if the show was entertaining, but things have gotten really boring. At least 24 is looking to end on a high note.

Yeah that's the worst part: it's a yawnfest. If at least Sayid and Locke were snapping necks right and left while Widmore blew half the island up, but nooo, please give us more indecisiveness from Jack.

CowTip said:
Also added:
For Aazealh: http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421064118/lostpedia/images/d/d5/6x13bombardment3.png

Hahaha good find, seriously look at this shit.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
lostvoice.gif

So let's have a little talk, Smocke. ... No, wait, Hugo is the leader now. Ah, no, that was just because last week was his episode. Too bad, Hugo! Sorry you're still fat!
So let's have a little talk. I have lots of questions (especially compared to all those guys you promised answers after killing their friends at the temple... guess they just forgot about them while trekking in the jungle).
First off, I have no idea what you are.
"I think you do."
... OK, that's good enough for me.
Next: why Locke?
"Well, he was dead, and you brought his body back, so I could look like him."
Well, that, too, is good enough for me, considering I haven't seen that episode where you impersonated Richard's wife, nor listened to that podcast where the writers said some of the Walter apparitions were actually you in disguise.
Say, were you my father, too?
"Yup, 'sure was. I thought you'd need some water."
And I thought you were trapped here. Why did I see you back in LA, a little while ago? And good thing I don't know about all this, because I would also wonder how/why Michael saw you on the freighter right before dying, why you were looking like my dad who wasn't even born yet when you were telling Locke to turn that Frozen Donkey Wheel...
Ah, well.
And I see you're already ready to go back to the camp, so I guess I won't ask why you chewed on our pilot, hugged trees, killed Eko, chased us-let us go-chased us again the next day... You probably had your reasons. And thanks for the water!
Oh, hi, Claire. So you know you're my sister? Gee, how long have you known? Wait, you also knew about our dad, Locke and the smoke monster being one and the same? That's not what you told Jin. Well, if that's how it is, I won't tell you that your mother got out of her coma!
All right, let's go back to the c... Wow! Daylight. How did that happen?

So you've spent a bunch of episodes just waiting around for the other candidates to show up. We miraculously do (because Hugo is a bit on the dumb side and forgot about that one time Jacob sent us out of the temple to keep us safe). We needed to all be together in order to leave and here we are... What's the plan, now, Smocke?
"Let's split up!"

... I dunno, some stuff about big groups being slower. It probably has something to do with Einstein. I'm sure it makes sense. Not sure why Smocke is in such a hurry anyway, all of a sudden, but OK.

"Also, here's what my stick was for! Dramatic walkie-talkie destruction! The wood hath spoken!"
Boy, the answers just keep coming, don't they?

"Sayid, go kill Desmond for me. I didn't do it myself presumably because of "the rules". That might also be why the well wasn't all that deep after all, who knows. And I didn't ask you to do that right away yesterday because... Well, I'm not sure. Widmore apparently wants him back (according to that woman we let go... just because we're at war, that doesn't mean we should forget our manners), so I feel like killing him off, now."
"Hey, Sayid, thanks for killing Desmond off. Wait, did you do that off-screen? Ermm... Maybe I should go and check. After all, I am a super-fast smoke monster, so... Aww, don't give me that look. All right, I believe you, you murderer you!"

"Meanwhile", in the obvious epilogue...
Sun, who got shot the day after the plane landed, finally arrives at the hospital. I was getting worried. Since she crosses paths with Locke and we had been told last week that it'd been a week since the plane landed, that's... Yeah, well, she's safe, and that's all that matters.
Desmond still is his usual creepy deux ex machina self. Who wouldn't want to follow that guy anywhere?
Kate is probably innocent this time around, 'cause, y'know, how would she get her happy ending otherwise? ... Oh, right: Sayid. Well, sorry you're still Arab!
Also, gratuitous cameo of the week: Ilana.

Cliffhanger time!
Of course the first thing Sun would do upon being reunited with Jin would be to talk to him in English! It only makes sense! What was the point of her losing her speech? Well, she was the second character to lose and recover her speech for no discernable reason in the series, and that's got to be some kind of record. Guinness, baby!
Oh, shit! The deal with Widmore is off! After everything Sawyer did for him, like when... Er... Well, he's still a backstabbing bastard!
Mortar! Jack's only weakness! Nooo! Why couldn't it be dynamite?! Fortunately, Smocke is there to save his life! Because he's not really trying to have all the remaining candidates killed after all. Not right now, anyway. Apparently.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
グリフィス said:

Thank you. :ganishka:

You know what would have made this episode better?
The sonic fence not being disabled when Sun and Jin ran up to each other.

Olivier Hague said:

Hahaha man, you're really nailing it in-depth here. But it's true, all those details stick out like sore thumbs. It never ceases to amaze me how the writers manage to contradict themselves in 3 episodes' time these days. There's almost no need to look back at the previous seasons anymore since it's not even consistent from week to week.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Aazealh said:
Thank you. :ganishka:

No problem, would you like some wine and crackers to go with that cheese? I swear, this is becoming like Commando TV.

Aazealh said:
You know what would have made this episode better?
The sonic fence not being disabled when Sun and Jin ran up to each other.

I was wondering about that myself when they were both running towards it, and nobody even tried to caution them. Another case of zero intelligence characterization.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
グリフィス said:
No problem, would you like some wine and crackers to go with that cheese? I swear, this is becoming like Commando TV.

Hell, at least Commando has cool action scenes and funny one-liners. It doesn't take itself seriously. Lost does, more than ever.

グリフィス said:
I was wondering about that myself when they were both running towards it, and nobody even tried to caution them. Another case of zero intelligence characterization.

Also makes you wonder why Jin was allowed to roam the place freely right before everyone was ordered to get down on their knees like they're going to be executed. You know, because though they're the holy canditates and potentially crucial allies in the battle against Locke, Widmore's goons shouldn't waste an opportunity to gratuitously irritate and humiliate them. In other words, the usual Lost treatment everytime anyone meets anyone else.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Olivier Hague said:
So much BS. I don't even... Urgh.

Key quote in there that made me laugh:

Wired: Do you still see that as the central issue, man of faith versus man of science?

Lindelof: The paradigm has shifted from that to, were we brought here for a very specific reason, and what is that reason? Locke is now the voice of a very large subset of the audience who believes that when Lost is all said and done, we will have wasted six years of our lives, that we were making it up as we went along, and that there’s really no purpose. And Jack is now saying, “the only thing I have left to cling to is that there’s got to be something really cool that’s going to happen, because I have really, really fucking suffered.”

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
WOW! This was by far the best episode yet in LOST
for the foley artist responsible for creating all the gratuitous and unnecessary gun cocking sounds.

Top Bottom