TV Series: Lost

Walter said:
WOW! This was by far the best episode yet in LOST
for the foley artist responsible for creating all the gratuitous and unnecessary gun cocking sounds.
That reminds me... An Italian site uploaded supposedly leaked script pages of the final episode, and I'm not sure how anyone could doubt they're the real deal, considering this part:
Suddenly, CLIC-CLICK, a RIFLE BOLT being COCKED, and Sawyer feels the cold steel of the BARREL on the back of his neck.

Anyway...

I love how Sun and Jin keep talking to each other in English. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. "Our viewers are too dumb to be moved if they had to read "I love you" instead of hearing it!"
Thing is, I think I'm not dumb enough to be moved by that death scene anyway, considering how nonsensical the whole thing was.

So Smocke can't kill the candidates directly. Because he's not allowed to. By "the rules". Remember how Ben couldn't kill Widmore or vice versa? Yeah, same kind of deal. It would seem whoever wrote "the rules" might be completely arbitrary but sure cares a lot about drama.
Anyway, Smocke can't kill the candidates directly. So what does he do?
Well, simple enough: he takes a watch from one of Widmore's goons, immediately spots the bomb that Widmore planted on the plane (for some reason? were the candidates just a Smocke bait, as far as Widmore was concerned? and can Smocke be killed by an explosion, now? wait, why am I even asking questions? 'guess the show needed another bomb, so there it is!), grabs it, says "let's go take the sub" (that should be easy, considering he's a smoke monster, and all... OK, so he doesn't turn into smoke form in the end, but it was easy anyway), quickly turns the goon's watch into a timer (now, there's someone who plans ahead), puts the bomb in Jack's unexplained-but-so-convenient backpack (seriously, it looks like Jack had been carrying a backpack these past episodes just so Smocke could pull that trick.. if you were wondering why he kept the mysterious backpack when he swam back to the main island, two weeks ago, well, there you go!), and assumes our heroes would try defusing the bomb (because the timer Smocke added so quickly is also a tricky one... and it would seem that, according to "the rules", them trying to defuse the bomb counts as if they, not Smocke, set it up in the first place... don't ask... say, if Jack couldn't kill himself with dynamite, maybe Sawyer should have kept the bomb he just tried to defuse, and it wouldn't have blown up? that makes sense, right?!) without resurfacing with the sub.
A sound plan.
I mean, it's either that, or letting Widmore's bomb kill them all in the plane, and... Oh. Yeah, he could have done that, too!

Just like he could have let Jack die in the mortar strike. What was the point of saving him, again? Even the inconsistencies are predictable, on this show.

So we get four deaths (yeah, Lapidus probably died, too... and no, nobody cares... why should we?), and judging by the obnoxious violins or pianos, we should be sad instead of wondering what the hell the writers were thinking.
(gotta love how they show that Jin is fine in the flashsideways immediately after the death scene, too... yeah, we get it: you think your viewers are a bunch of idiots)

In the end, Sayid turning "evil" (?) proved to be about as essential to the plot as Sun forgetting how to speak English.
Yeah, he killed Dôgen (who was the one who kept Smocke out of the temple, apparently? why did they let Contagiously Evil Sayid roam around the temple and near Dôgen, then? and what about the ash? why am I asking questions, again?), but since I'm still not sure as to what the point of the temple "plotline" was anyway... Apart from finally showing us the "famed" temple (without telling us anything about it, naturally), that is...

Same thing for Sawyer's little adventure last episode: They're all back together less than a hour later. What was the point? Oh, yeah: "exciting television". I keep forgetting.

Gratuitous cameo of the week: Bernard.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I know we've all heard this before, but I think this could seriously have been the worst episode in the season yet. It was aimless, ridiculous, and several other -less words I'm sure I'm forgetting.

Wouldn't their fucking heads have popped due to the pressure of swimming several dozen feet under the ocean? And if not that, then their capillaries would have burst upon diving several hundred feet, and then rising suddenly. Also, when caring for an unconscious person, it's not advisable to jerk them around through a metal submarine as you make your way to safety, submerging them in water for up to 2-3 minutes before finally tossing them limply on the beach. His lungs would have been completely filled with water at that point.

Oh yeah, Olivier made me remember, what the fuck was up with Bernard anyway? Was his scene even necessary? Nope. Did the writers really need to draw attention to their bad exposition by having Jack ask how Bernard remembered that Locke was with someone in the crash? Nope, but they did it anyway. Was there anything emotional or powerful about Jin and Sun's arbitrary deaths? Nope, but the writers sure seemed to think there was. That lingering shot of their hands in the water was like a fart bubble at the end.

I've said it before, but just take note of the sheer number of gun cocking noises in this episode. It's something that's always bothered me with this show, but in this one they're so prevalent it became comical. I finally broke down in laughter when Sawyer cocked his glock and it sounded like an anti-tank rifle.

I recorded it just to demonstrate my point: CLICK-CLACKACHICHCOCK. And one more, for good measure, just to make sure those guns are good and primed! CLICK-CLAK ... CLACKACHOCK ..... CHIK

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
It also would have been nice if they'd bothered to ask the sub captain if the sub had a torpedo tube or an ejection hatch or something.

And the timing on this show is really starting to bug me. OK, so the sub is diving, you're scrambling like crazy to take care of a serious looking gunshot wound, during this scramble you find the bomb with like four minutes left on the timer.

HOW THE FUCK DO YOU NOT HAVE TIME TO SURFACE THE SUB? How the fuck long ago were they supposed to have started diving? How the fuck did they get so allfired deep so fast when they were leaving from what looked like a dock in a cove anyway? Why would they even WANT to be diving so deep so fast?

And what the fuck, Jin? Die romantically with your lover instead of ESCAPE TO RAISE YOUR FUCKING DAUGHTER? REALLY? And Sun? MAYBE MENTION THIS TO HIM MAYBE? And I'm so pissed off that it's so blatant that the reason they're killing off the characters we're supposed to care about is so that 'happy universe' ends up taking over and we'll end up with a big fat HEY, NONE OF THAT AWFUL SHIT THAT HAPPENED MATTERS, SO YOU'RE NOT MAD, RIGHT? RIGHT? SEE? *points to happy universe* SEE?

If this does not happen I will reevaluate my position. But it sure fucken looks like this will happen.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Olivier Hague said:
I love how Sun and Jin keep talking to each other in English. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. "Our viewers are too dumb to be moved if they had to read "I love you" instead of hearing it!"
Thing is, I think I'm not dumb enough to be moved by that death scene anyway, considering how nonsensical the whole thing was.

Worst thing is in the first seasons they spoke Korean all the time and that wasn't a problem.

Walter said:
I know we've all heard this before, but I think this could seriously have been the worst episode in the season yet. It was aimless, ridiculous, and several other -less words I'm sure I'm forgetting.

I have to agree. It was just terrible. The plot was everything we expected it to be since the beginning of the season, the directing was as lazy as can be, the acting was subpar
(couldn't tell if Hurley was crying or laughing on the beach)
and even the special effects were nonexistent.

Walter said:
Wouldn't their fucking heads have popped due to the pressure of swimming several dozen feet under the ocean?

Actually, not necessarily depending on the depth and since they weren't breathing. What's completely unrealistic is the whole deal with the submarine: the depth it's supposed to be at and the way it reacted to a breach in its hull. That and Hurley carrying a gravely wounded person to shore. Sorry obese people, but this just isn't possible.

Walter said:
Was there anything emotional or powerful about Jin and Sun's arbitrary deaths? Nope, but the writers sure seemed to think there was. That lingering shot of their hands in the water was like a fart bubble at the end.

Yeah at this point it's just utterly meaningless, and it even retroactively spoils whatever emotional deaths took place earlier.

Walter said:
I've said it before, but just take note of the sheer number of gun cocking noises in this episode. It's something that's always bothered me with this show, but in this one they're so prevalent it became comical. I finally broke down in laughter when Sawyer cocked his glock and it sounded like an anti-tank rifle.

The best moment to me has to be Locke's ridiculously exaggerated recoil motion after firing his WW2-era carbine at hip-level and at point blank range to kill one of Widmore's goons who was guarding the plane. It's like a kid playing with a plastic cowboy gun.

The absence of any effect for the bullets shot at Locke bothered me as well (not that it's new or anything). Guy gets shot from 4 ft away and the bullets just disappear? I know they're strapped for cash but please... The guy can be pushed in the water or stabbed in the chest, but his t-shirt is bullet-repellent.

Another great moment: Locke explaining how the bomb was rigged to the plane so that it'd blow when they "started" it. Just like with cars! :schierke:

Finally, I liked how Locke took orders from Sawyer for no reason when they attacked the sub while he stayed behind for backup. Nobody questioned it either, like it's normal for the invincible god-like being who just saved their asses to be the rear guard during an assault he decided on in the first place.

Lithrael said:
It also would have been nice if they'd bothered to ask the sub captain if the sub had a torpedo tube or an ejection hatch or something.

And the timing on this show is really starting to bug me. OK, so the sub is diving, you're scrambling like crazy to take care of a serious looking gunshot wound, during this scramble you find the bomb with like four minutes left on the timer.

HOW THE FUCK DO YOU NOT HAVE TIME TO SURFACE THE SUB? How the fuck long ago were they supposed to have started diving? How the fuck did they get so allfired deep so fast when they were leaving from what looked like a dock in a cove anyway? Why would they even WANT to be diving so deep so fast?

Yeah, that. None of it made any sense. Downright laughable.

Lithrael said:
And what the fuck, Jin? Die romantically with your lover instead of ESCAPE TO RAISE YOUR FUCKING DAUGHTER? REALLY? And Sun? MAYBE MENTION THIS TO HIM MAYBE?

I was surprised that they seemingly did not give a shit, even with my ultra-low expectations. What great parents.

Lithrael said:
You know what else dived fast? The sun. Not the Korean girl (well, she did dive quite fast, I guess), but the actual sun.
Night time when they escaped from the cages, day time when they got in the sub, and night time again when they escaped from it, what? less than ten minutes later?
All right, show! No problem!

Aazealh said:
Finally, I liked how Locke took orders from Sawyer for no reason when they attacked the sub while he stayed behind for backup. Nobody questioned it either, like it's normal for the invincible god-like being who just saved their asses to be the rear guard during an assault he decided on in the first place.
Also, note how Sun and Hurley, who are unarmed, are part of the strike team. 'Makes sense!

Aazealh said:
Actually, not necessarily depending on the depth and since they weren't breathing. What's completely unrealistic is the whole deal with the submarine: the depth it's supposed to be at and the way it reacted to a breach in its hull. That and Hurley carrying a gravely wounded person to shore. Sorry obese people, but this just isn't possible.

Hey, don't forget, fat floats. He probably shot to the top like a very large buoy~ :troll:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I just woke from a dream where the ending of Lost was unspeakably bad. This show is literally giving me nightmares!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
グリフィス said:
I just woke from a dream where the ending of Lost was unspeakably bad. This show is literally giving me nightmares!

Lost episode 291: Precognitive Dream. :griffnotevil:

Found this on another board.

After Jack pushed Locke into the water... Smokey's weakness revealed?! http://i41.tinypic.com/334i0lk.jpg

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CowTip said:
Found this on another board.

After Jack pushed Locke into the water... Smokey's weakness revealed?! http://i41.tinypic.com/334i0lk.jpg

Neat detail, I hadn't noticed it while watching. To be honest I originally thought falling into the sea might prove to be a big deal to him, since he seemed reluctant to cross over to the other island, but it apparently wasn't a problem. In light of this sequence, I guess holding him down underwater could be the way to defeat him?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
It's still stupid. The show seemed to imply that Sawyer knew something about Smokey, and how it would react in water. When really, he just needed Locke to be distracted for a few seconds. But ... how could he possibly have known that would work?

Admittedly, as a person who loves LOST, I am getting a bit nervous about how this is all playing out. Walter's Wired quote rely speaks to my feelings regarding the direction this is taking. How can LOST possibly live up to the absurd amount of hype? Even if it falls flat in the end, I did truly enjoy the first four seasons of character development. Fingers crossed.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Johnstantine said:
maybe he MiB ate a devil fruit and sea water is his weakness
Don't joke. You know the Lost writers could attempt it.

"Do you know what a devil fruit is, Desmond?"
"Nao, bruthah."

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Talking about brother, now we know the source of that line.
So why didn't ""monther" gave "brother" a name and then just kept Jacob's. Or if he has a name I didn't hear it. As soon as I saw Jacob's mother coming out of the water, I said "I bet she's Jacob's mom". I wasn't expecting them to be brothers just that one rebelled and was against Jacob all this time.

Griffith

Th3Branded0ne said:
As soon as I saw Jacob's mother coming out of the water, I said "I bet she's Jacob's mom". I wasn't expecting them to be brothers just that one rebelled and was against Jacob all this time.

Yeah, I actually called the twins bullshit as soon as I saw her, right down to the black and white blankets.
Not because I'm smart or anything, but because this show is so dumb. You can just throw shit like that against the wall and it'll actually stick.

I miss Berserk.

Rather large contradiction tonight.

So the mother character raises these two boys to protect a mystical light on an island that supposedly contains the light of all humans (I assume light means literally their life), but then she goes on to bash the humans on the island calling them selfish, power hungry and overall terrible. She doesn't think twice about murdering anyone she meets and is grateful to die by the end of the episode. So why again did she care about protecting the light again? You'd think she'd point the humans right to it just to end it all.

However, that's not even the contradiction I was pointing out.

In an earlier episode, we have MiB and Jacob sitting on the beach discussing their little 'game'. MiB talks about how terrible people are and how there's nothing good about them, yet Jacob defends the good of people and how the light prevails etc... That's a fair change of heart after following mommy around for so many years and basically taking everything she ever said at face value.

I dunno, maybe my expectations have lowered so far, but I didn't mind this episode that much. Sure, the pacing was bad, the acting was questionable and the plot was somewhat stupid, but at the least they gave MiB a bit of character. I'm actually starting to like him more than anyone else on the show and he's supposed to be the one we all hate.

Yeah. :casca:

X

Xem

Yep, from what I've gathered most LOST fans consider this episode an "acceptable" explanation. I was a little surprised, I thought they would've been really angry that the solved mystery wasn't more intriguing... but at this point I guess "acceptable" is all they're asking for.

Guess I can't blame'em.

A good number of places I've been to have been sort of up in arms over this. Whereas before the fans seemed to overshadow a lot of the complainers, tonight things have been sort of crazy with the amount of arguments flying around.

At least I was able to find these out of this whole thing:
http://twitpic.com/1n2329
http://twitpic.com/1n26i0
http://twitpic.com/1n25eo

Griffith

I thought it was pretty disappointing whatever your expectations. I mean, it was so laughably vague and simplistic it wasn't much more than a metaphor itself. I imagine we'll get more good/evil/fate of the universe gobbledegook until the last, but it's pretty clear there's nothing behind the curtain, which I expected, but now it looks they're not even trying to make something up. It felt downright surreal halfway through the episode, like, THIS is what they're going with, really? Is this Lost, or a lost hour of the Merlin miniseries? Just another Lost hour of my life, unfortunately.

Top Bottom