Votes: 6 15.8%
  • McCain

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Obama

Votes: 25 65.8%

• Total voters

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Obama and Huckabee won Iowa, Hillary and McCain just won New Hampshire, and we've got a real race on both sides now heading into South Carolina and beyond, so let's get a dedicated election thread going. Thoughts?

I'll periodically update and/or reset the poll as things develop. Be sure to recast your vote!

CnC

Ad Oculos
Re: 2008 Presidential Election

OMGZ your excluding Ron Paul you biggot! :troll:

Anyway it's an interesting race so far

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

I'm never totally sold on any politician. Ever. But this year, I'm most convinced by Obama, so far. It's probably his on-court dominance that really sold me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYCEnVmNkpE (check it out, the man even has a winning jersey number).

Thankfully, in addition to his hops, most of his views on major issues align with my own.

CnC

Ad Oculos

I definitely think Obama's a better public speaker than the others out there. Hope he can keep up the momentum :serpico:

Griffith

CnC said:
OMGZ your excluding Ron Paul you biggot! :troll:

He's got his own thread, so he's ironically not being included here with the real candidates, kind of like in real life. =)

Anyway, half those those names are up there out of courtesy already.

Walter said:
I'm never totally sold on any politician. Ever.

What about George Washington? FDR? =)

I'm also leaning towards Obama. Was basically on the fence until I got ye old sample ballot in the mail and I just gravitated toward him, though Huckabee and McCain, despite their respective flaws, are interesting on the Republican side. Anyway, tonight's result was disheartening if you're an Obama fan, it feels like tenuous ground with him, like if he isn't winning by a landslide you begin to wonder if he has a real chance again. You don't want to let Hillary Clinton up off the mat, Obama's speeches won't sound so good after she cuts his balls off.

Anyway, I'm still not impressed with much of anything they're saying, I'm not hearing so much policy idea as, "HOPE CHANGE FUTURE GOOD ME!!"

That pretty much sums up every candidacy in the last week, except this Giuliani ad which was about, guess what? A scare ad about terrorism, thanks Rudy!

CnC said:
I definitely think Obama's a better public speaker than the others out there. Hope he can keep up the momentum :serpico:

I'd say that shouldn't matter, but did you see Bush talking about the Iranian boats today? After the last 7 years, I just want a fucking President who can talk (that eliminates that card board cutout Thompson right there).

Speaking of which, Hillary gave a great victory speech tonight, along with Obama's usual awesomeness.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Griffith No More! said:
What about George Washington? FDR? =)
Even back then, I'd probably be skeptical... Ok well maybe not Washington =).

I read a lot these days about how in the coming years we'll see an even more increased focus on international relations with Iran, and with tensions rising again (and always) with Egypt. It seems pretty inevitable that one of these schmucks will have to make some difficult decisions on where and if we move the war front. And since this president would still be, in effect, a war-time president, who do you guys feel would be the best man cut out for that particular scenario?

Anyway, this is a really fresh election year so far. Things are looking positive for once after a loooong stint of muddy-water decisions by voters. I remember the 2000 election vividly and everyone was reluctant to take to the polls. The atmosphere so far has definitely changed for the better, and it's an awesome thing to see through my job here.

PS: Just curious, if there are any lurkers out there who are Romney fans, let's hear it for Christ's best pal! :troll:

Eh, none of them appeal to me. However, of the lot of 'em, I gotta say that Obama is the least offensive, and his ideas at least approach sanity.

CnC

Ad Oculos

Griffith No More! said:
I'd say that shouldn't matter, but did you see Bush talking about the Iranian boats today? After the last 7 years, I just want a fucking President who can talk (that eliminates that card board cutout Thompson right there).

But he was in DIE HARD 2!!!

Anyways I agree with you. It's sad when you're just glad the prez could be a person capable of expressing a coherent thought, but I'd say it goes even further than that. Obama, I think, could use words to move people to action. We'll see, but I'm just hoping that this isn't another situation where I go to the voting booth wondering who I dislike least.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!

Hilary won, huh? I thought the momentum would be in Obama's favour Do we know if it was a significant margin?

I don't know how I feel about him yet, but I cannot vote anyway. Still the results of this will affect me, regardless. All I know is that Bill whispering in Hilary's ear wouldn't be such a bad thing. He wasn't any cleaner than a polished turd, but at least the chap isn't less intelligent than 70% of Americans.

Griffith No More! said:

Don't get me started on that. He looked at the press like they should just assume he knew what he was talking about:

"They have botes damn it -- THEY ARE A THREAT TO THIS COUNTREE, YOUr FREEDuM AND LIBERTY!!!!!!"

Griffith

God, it was horrible.

"It was a provocative act. They shouldna done it."

*basic question from the press about what he thinks about it*

"I think? I think... it was... a provocative act! They shouldna done it!"

Thanks George.

You know, I remember thinking back in 2000 when he was projected the winner, "This shouldn't have happened, we had an incumbent Vice President from a wildly successful Presidency who's been groomed his entire life to be the President... and we just picked this strange man, a stranger, we don't know anything about, who doesn't seem to know what he's doing, instead. I can't believe we're stuck with this guy for the next four years."

Little did I know, and I was a high school sophomore at the time.

Uriel

Aye.. he's just itching to nail Iran.

2000 was bad enough -- I remember when he was re-elected. I can hand on heart say that when the news reached England, the country collectively sighed. Aaz might have been to hear it over the channel.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Well, I added a new option to the poll, for folks like me who can't vote. You damn Americans! :puck: Anyway, if I could vote, it'd probably be for Obama.

Uriel said:
2000 was bad enough -- I remember when he was re-elected. I can hand on heart say that when the news reached England, the country collectively sighed. Aaz might have been to hear it over the channel.

So that's what it was. Meteorologists theorized about an atmospheric drop in pressure at the time. :ganishka:

Griffith

Aazealh said:
Well, I added a new option to the poll, for folks like me who can't vote. You damn Americans! :puck:

Deep down though, isn't everyone an American? :troll:

Anyway, Obama's winning here I see, no surprise, but like I said, I'm worried Hillary is too much man for him now that she's back in it. Well, we can't really lose, because at least every vote for her would put this man that much closer to being back in the White House:

clinton.jpg

Hail to the Chief, baby.​

S

Sanguinius

Griffith No More! said:
Deep down though, isn't everyone an American? :troll:

Anyway, Obama's winning here I see, no surprise, but like I said, I'm worried Hillary is too much man for him now that she's back in it. Well, we can't really lose, because at least every vote for her would put this man that much closer to being back in the White House:

clinton.jpg

Hail to the Chief, baby.​

Apart from being Black and playing High School Basket Ball and being a good orator why do you like Obama?

P.S. I can't see that photo GnM, who is it of?

Griffith

Sanguinius said:
Apart from being Black and playing High School Basket Ball and being a good orator why do you like Obama?

I guess for the same reason I mentioned Huckabee and McCain as intriguing. Namely, they're black, played basketball, and are good orators. Actually, I like him because he's half white and I'd totally hit the Obama girl, I bet she's a good "orator", brah!

Anyway, though I've read his books and like his intelligence, idealogy, and overall approach, you've essentially hit the nail on the head, or to the nature of your question, put the cube through the square-shaped hole. Anyone on this board should know the power of an engaging and charismatic leader, and he doesn't just represent or sell progressive change well, but literally embodies it. I'm sure you'd get similar, if not better, answers from his supporters; when you see and hear him, you feel like you're seeing the candidate of the future.

Basically, no good reason over anyone else, and if that's too much a flowery fairytale for you (it's just how Obama makes us feel inside =), like I said, at this point, I'll vote for anyone that knows how to fucking talk.

Sanguinius said:
P.S. I can't see that photo GnM, who is it of?

William Jefferson Clinton.

VIDEOS:

Here's some videos relating to things discussed in this thread already.

Bush on Iran Boats (Does this better answer your question, Sang?)

Rudy Giuliani: Ready (to be a stupid asshole)

A parody of the above

Huckabee: Norris Approved (literally a parody of itself)

Hillary's "human moment", as it's being hilariously dubbed, that may have turned her campaign around.

I was going to post both Obama's and Hillary's victory speeches from last night (I know, Obama lost, but he somehow declared himself future President anyway =), but fuck it, they're both 13 minutes long. Find 'em yourselves if you care.

S

Sanguinius

Griffith No More! said:
I guess for the same reason I mentioned Huckabee and McCain as intriguing. Namely, they're black, played basketball, and are good orators. Actually, I like him because he's half white and I'd totally hit the Obama girl, I bet she's a good "orator", brah!

Anyway, though I've read his books and like his intelligence, idealogy, and overall approach, you've essentially hit the nail on the head, or to the nature of your question, put the cube through the square-shaped hole. Anyone on this board should know the power of an engaging and charismatic leader, and he doesn't just represent or sell progressive change well, but literally embodies it. I'm sure you'd get similar, if not better, answers from his supporters; when you see and hear him, you feel like you're seeing the candidate of the future.

Basically, no good reason over anyone else, and if that's too much a flowery fairytale for you (it's just how Obama makes us feel inside =), like I said, at this point, I'll vote for anyone that knows how to fucking talk.

William Jefferson Clinton.

VIDEOS:

Here's some videos relating to things discussed in this thread already.

Bush on Iran Boats (Does this better answer your question, Sang?)

Rudy Giuliani: Ready (to be a stupid asshole)

A parody of the above

Huckabee: Norris Approved (literally a parody of itself)

Hillary's "human moment", as it's being hilariously dubbed, that may have turned her campaign around.

I was going to post both Obama's and Hillary's victory speeches from last night (I know, Obama lost, but he somehow declared himself future President anyway =), but fuck it, they're both 13 minutes long. Find 'em yourselves if you care.

Well none of that is really any kind of reason to support Obama. Whatever president Bush or Rudy or Huckabee said is at most a reason to not support them, not a reason to support Obama who is only one of many candidates. I wasn't asking for links or smarmy replies, all you have to do, if you have any really reason for supporting Obama is e.g. 1. He will whatever 2. 3. etc etc. Short bullet points would be fine by me, just say what Obama has and what you think he'll do that makes him better than everyone else running.

Griffith

Sanguinius said:
Well none of that is really any kind of reason to support Obama.

It is actually, and I didn't say I'm a supporter, you asked me why I liked him.

Sanguinius said:
Whatever president Bush or Rudy or Huckabee said is at most a reason to not support them, not a reason to support Obama who is only one of many candidates.

Griffith No More! said:
Basically, no good reason over anyone else

Strike two, if you're going to quote the entire bulk of my posts, you could at least read them and understand what I'm saying within context before replying like this. I'm not insulting you there, I just think you're trying to force me into a different conversation than I'm having here.

Sanguinius said:
I wasn't asking for links

Well, they weren't just for you, they're for everybody. :casca:

Sanguinius said:
or smarmy replies, all you have to do, if you have any really reason for supporting Obama is e.g. 1. He will whatever 2. 3. etc etc. Short bullet points would be fine by me, just say what Obama has and what you think he'll do that makes him better than everyone else running.

I replied in kind to a smarmy question that was obviously setting me up for ye olde politically charged debate. Not my interest I'm afraid, but, I answered your question honestly, and my answer is perfectly valid within the context of this thread. I'm not here to campaign for Obama or push him on you like some meddling dickhead, I'm not going to list his talking points or attack people that don't like him (I welcome valid Obama bashing), I already said the substance of none of the candidates especially impresses me at this point, and I'm not stupid enough anyway to presume to really know what any of them would actually do in office, whatever they tell me. I'm still undecided myself, but if you're interested in Obama, I suggest you further research him yourself, try reading his books if you haven't already.

Another relevant video. :troll:

S

Sanguinius

Griffith No More! said:
It is actually, and I didn't say I'm a supporter, you asked me why I liked him.

Sorry for the misrepresentation of your views.

Griffith No More! said:
Strike two, if you're going to quote the entire bulk of my posts, you could at least read them and understand what I'm saying within context before replying like this. I'm not insulting you there, I just think you're trying to force me into a different conversation than I'm having here.

Maybe I am trying to force you into a different conversation, I want the kind of conversation where you list one or two reasons why you like a particular Presidential candidate that you said you liked.

Griffith No More! said:
Well, they weren't just for you, they're for everybody. :casca:

Well fair enough, but then my original Obama question was for everyone who said they liked Obama, not just you.

Griffith No More! said:
I replied in kind to a smarmy question that was obviously setting me up for ye olde politically charged debate.

Not really, the question wasn’t even addressed to you but to everyone who said they liked Obama.

Griffith No More! said:
Not my interest I'm afraid, but, I answered your question honestly, and my answer is perfectly valid within the context of this thread. I'm not here to campaign for Obama or push him on you like some meddling dickhead, I'm not going to list his talking points or attack people that don't like him (I welcome valid Obama bashing),

Yes silly me, asking for a reason why the guy who made the 2008 US Presidential thread likes the Presidential candidate he said he liked was me being a meddling dickhead, sorry.

Griffith No More! said:
I'm not going to list his talking points or attack people that don't like him (I welcome valid Obama bashing), I already said the substance of none of the candidates especially impresses me at this point, and I'm not stupid enough anyway to presume to really know what any of them would actually do in office, whatever they tell me. I'm still undecided myself, but if you're interested in Obama, I suggest you further research him yourself, try reading his books if you haven't already.

Sorry, I’m having one of my blackouts again, how exactly did I bash Obama? All I thought I asked was why do you people like him?

Griffith No More! said:

Thanks for that link, it’s good you showed me what ‘Bullshit’ is, asking you to give a rational explanation for liking Obama was obviously pure ‘Bullshit’ on my part, and a good thing you pointed that out to me. Good thing too you didn’t show that ‘Bullshit’ link whenever people post links talking about a Presidential candidates sporting activities, as that clearly isn’t ‘Bullshit’, as your link clearly demonstrates. Yep, asking you to give a rational reason as to why you like a Presidential candidate, now that’s ‘Bullshit’.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Sanguinius said:

His wife is hotter than Ron Paul's. And he didn't name his son "Rand" in honor of Ayn Rand. :casca:

Griffith

Sanguinius said:
Maybe I am trying to force you into a different conversation, I want the kind of conversation where you list one or two reasons why you like a particular Presidential candidate.

Well, I did list a few reasons why I liked him, as a candidate or otherwise. That's more than you've said here, to be fair.

Sanguinius said:
Well fair enough, but then my original Obama question was for everyone who said they liked Obama, not just you.

Not really, the question wasn’t even addressed to you but to everyone who said they liked Obama.

My mistake, foolish of me to assume it was addressed to me since it directly followed an entire quote of my previous post.

Sanguinius said:
Yes silly me, asking for a reason why the guy who made the 2008 US Presidential thread likes the Presidential candidate he said he liked was me being a meddling dickhead, sorry.

I said I liked three, and I don't even have it that narrowed down. Anyway, I was trying to subtly hint that you might want to cool it a bit, you're not a meddling dickhead for asking, but the fact that you're still pressing and becoming even more acerbic... yeah, a little dickheadish to say the least, sorry.

I feel like you're trying to use me to be honest. =)

Sanguinius said:
Sorry, I’m having one of my blackouts again, how exactly did I bash Obama?

You didn't, I was just saying I'd welcome it, so you're certainly having some kind of comprehension blackout, and taking things way too personally. This is the road I didn't want to go down in this thread, I'm hoping it'll still recover (again: hint hint).

Sanguinius said:
Thanks for that link, it’s good you showed me what ‘Bullshit’ is, asking you to give a rational explanation for liking Obama was obviously pure ‘Bullshit’ on my part, and a good thing you pointed that out to me. Good thing too you didn’t show that ‘Bullshit’ link whenever people post links talking about a Presidential candidates sporting activities, as that clearly isn’t ‘Bullshit’ as your link clearly demonstrates. Yep, asking you to give a rational reason as to why you like a Presidential candidate, now that’s ‘Bullshit’.

Uhhh... okay, glad you liked it. I did give a rational explanation for liking him, he's intelligent, eloquent, and I like his stance on the issues and his overall approach. That's just a casual estimate, I'm not a big Obama stumper, so I'm not interested nor prepared in listing or debating his policies point by point anymore than the others. Get it? Anyway, if you don't think those other things are important too though, fine, it didn't require a temper tantrum, and I think you can go away now while us politically unenlightened boobs watch:

The real reason to vote OBAMA (other than spite at this point)

I think it was written and directed by Hideo Kojima.

CnC

Ad Oculos

Dodging the quote war:

Griffith No More! said:

I just love it. As soon as he said "pure and simple", I was just WAITING for the self-satisfactory grin. 3... 2.. AH, there it is! However he wasn't expecting the scene of the western that must be playing continuously in his mind to continue. All the follow-up questions scrambled his brain so he had to rely on repeating the same thing over and over again until the voices shut up.

Anyways I'm listening to the hillary speech right now. It's a good speech. It doesn't have the same power Obama (imo) had in Iowa but it's good.
Crowd cheers at some wierd places:
"I've met people that can't pay the bills, and hope they don't get sick" (someone goes "woo" here). "Young people, who can't afford to go to college to persue their dreams" (huge cheer here).

...even she's kinda baffled by that. But it's kind of telling that she's not really in control of the crowd.

Uriel

Sigh.

Can we not make this the Sanguinius vs. Za Waruldo thread, please?

CnC said:
...even she's kinda baffled by that. But it's kind of telling that she's not really in control of the crowd.

Thank you, thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you so much! Thank you!

CnC

Ad Oculos

Uriel said:
Thank you, thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you so much! Thank you!

Why, you're welcome Uriel. I'm glad you enjoyed my pos... oh.

Anyways anyone hear McCain on Meet the Press? I thought he came off pretty good. I don't agree with his foreign policy points but his economic ones seemed sound (just on the program, haven't don't much digging otherwise). Anyways I'm glad he won over Romney.

Griffith

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_lQYC7vqBg

Obama's speech had a weird moment like the cheering in Hillary's around the 7:15 mark, "Terrorism and nuclear weapons, climate change and poverty, genocide and disease... all of the candidates in this race, share these goals."

Whoa, now here are some point by point issues! He was talking about fighting them of course, but it came out awkwardly through the structure and pace of the speech. =)

CnC

Ad Oculos

Well it wasn't quite the mandate that Clinton needed from New Hampshire (despite what she's making it out to be), I guess we're on to the next state.

...by the by I hate the primary system ;)

Top Bottom