Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Obama

Votes: 25 65.8%

• Total voters

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Re: 2008 Presidential Election

Sanguinius said:
One thing I did wonder about that poll, why is it, I'm not a US citizen "damn you" in the options? Am I meant to be damning the fact that I'm not a US citizen? because I don't :miura: no offence to all you Yanks :casca:

Interesting interpretation, methinks doth protest too much. :carcus:

CnC said:
Your brash oversimplification of the issues is saddening. None of the candidates are cylindrical in nature nor do any of their policies include the funneling of surfboards.

I suggest you do your research and get back to us.

Only if I miss on this suicide attempt, I probably can't even do that right. :judo:

CnC said:
He sucked in that show anyway. I want McCoys old boss (the guy dating back to season 1). Now THAT's a fictional character I can get behind!

Now that was a man, speaking of which, anyone see the new season? I thought the first episode was pretty over the top bad, like the shark's circling and McCoy is putting on his water skis. I didn't like him as the head DA either, Cutter sucked, and just like whoever we elect in '08, McCoy has sold out now that he's in the top office, "I'm getting crucified!" McCoy worried about his image over justice? Say it ain't so, Jacko. =)

CnC said:
http://davies.lohudblogs.com/files/2008/01/010808davies.jpg

Hahaha, yup, everyone's doing it, and I hear Obama was pissed at Hillary for blatantly ripping off his message in New Hampshire. Telling that even in this cartoon he's been pushed to the side on it.

Forest Wraith

Evil is born when we lose power over ourselves.

It always feels so weird seeing my Lovecraft-country state mentioned in the news this time of year. . . .

Griffith

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/01/09/richardson.out/index.html

My intuition not to include Richardson in the poll reportedly was a good one. I wonder if we might see him again, perhaps as someone's Vice Presidential candidate.

CnC

Ad Oculos

Yea Richardson just screams 'vice-presidential candidate' for some reason...

Griffith No More! said:
speaking of which, anyone see the new season? I thought the first episode was pretty over the top bad, like the shark's circling and McCoy is putting on his water skis. I didn't like him as the head DA either, Cutter sucked, and just like whoever we elect in '08, McCoy has sold out now that he's in the top office, "I'm getting crucified!" McCoy worried about his image over justice? Say it ain't so, Jacko. =)

I watched around the first half of it. The new people just aren't making the cut, so I turned it off

Interesting side note:
Even tho Hillary 'won' New Hampshire, both she and Obama picked up the same number of delegates since it was so close:
http://www.startribune.com/politics/national/president/13548576.html

S

Sanguinius

Griffith No More! said:
Interesting interpretation, methinks doth protest too much. :carcus:

Only if I miss on this suicide attempt, I probably can't even do that right. :judo:

Come on, I thought it was fairly obvious I was joking.

CnC said:
Yea Richardson just screams 'vice-presidential candidate' for some reason...

When are Vice-Presidential candidates selected? I'm not sure how that works over there.

CnC

Ad Oculos

Sanguinius said:
When are Vice-Presidential candidates selected? I'm not sure how that works over there.

I believe it's pretty much when the nomination is assured.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great

Sanguinius said:

When the republican and democrat nominations are finally finished being picked, they'll pick someone to be their vice president. Nomally it would be who ever ran against them during the nomination, but that's not set in stone so it could be anyone really.

Griffith

Sanguinius said:
Come on, I thought it was fairly obvious I was joking.

I know you were on the American thing, but I have no idea why you included my suicide line in the quote?

Anyway, Vice President will be selected and announced no later than at the party convention, if not before. Sometimes the nominee isn't even officially selected or announced until then, but that was more in the old days when they would basically ignore all the primary voting, go in the back room of the convention, and negotiate/select the nominee and the ticket then and there. =)

CnC

Ad Oculos

Griffith No More! said:
I know you were on the American thing, but I have no idea why you included my suicide line in the quote?

yea.. that was mine :judo:

It's usually pretty far ahead of the convention (the idea of the convention nowadays is so droll), if for the only reason so they can print all those signs with VP's name on it.

Griffith

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
When the republican and democrat nominations are finally finished being picked, they'll pick someone to be their vice president. Nomally it would be who ever ran against them during the nomination, but that's not set in stone so it could be anyone really.

Yeah, and one thing I'm curious about is whether Hillary or Obama would choose the other for their running mate, or will they go for a more traditional tall white male, between the ages of 40 and 60, to "balance" the ticket? Bill could technically still be Vice President, because the VP can serve as interim President for up to 2 years and still be eligible to run for two terms afterward.

I'm sure there's some pussy rule against doing it this way though. :judo:

CnC said:
It's usually pretty far ahead of the convention (the idea of the convention nowadays is so droll), if for the only reason so they can print all those signs with VP's name on it.

Yeah, the way things are today, we may know the night of the victory speech, and hell, getting to be vice President is like getting the inside track on being President the next election (I didn't lose, it's another step towards victory!). I wonder how many guys run seriously thinking, "Man, I hope I can just get on the ticket as vice president and run as the incumbent some day."

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great

Those of you interested in pollsters should watching this interview that was on a daily show. http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=147324&title=john-zogby

It explains polling and how it works.

Griffith No More! said:
Yeah, and one thing I'm curious about is whether Hillary or Obama would choose the other for their running mate, or will they go for a more traditional tall white male, between the ages of 40 and 60, to "balance" the ticket? Bill could technically still be Vice President, because the VP can serve as interim President for up to 2 years and still be eligible to run for two terms afterward.

I'm pretty sure Obama isn't going to pick Hillary as his VP or the other way around. They probably are going to go for one of the lesser candidates like Dodd for example. I'd be surprised if either of them pick edwards.

Edit: no one is going to let hillary put bill as VP. I think because they are related or he was a president.

S

Sanguinius

Griffith No More! said:

Unintentional.

Griffith No More! said:

Yeah, the way things are today, we may know the night of the victory speech, and hell, getting to be vice President is like getting the inside track on being President the next election (I didn't lose, it's another step towards victory!). I wonder how many guys run seriously thinking, "Man, I hope I can just get on the ticket as vice president and run as the incumbent some day."

Pretty sure that was the relationship between Clinton and Gore. As for the Obama or Hillary being VP for the other, seems hard to know, it could easily run to two extremes. They're running so close and are running so much on personality politics that it might not be viable as you'd have a VP that undermined the Presidential candidate by splitting the party. The opposite could also happen as there is so little of substance separating them they could agree to support the one who came out on top this time so that in the future the current VP can run as the incumbent candidate as GnM said.

Griffith

By then they'll be splitting from the party anyway to try and win the general election, that's one reason they run so much on personality politics at this point, if they're not vague enough, it'll look much worse when they shift all their policies to the center later. God bless politics. =)

I think Obama would be worth more to Hillary than the other way around, she'd love to get his general appeal and the independent votes he brings to the table to strengthen her candidacy, and I'm not sure her Democratic base is worth the rest of the baggage she brings to the table in a general election for Obama, don't think he needs. It's always nice to pool supporters, but they can find other ways to claim them if you keep in mind the detractors they'd also pool, frankly those not really comfortable voting for a woman or a black man, especially running against two white males (thus far the only people America has ever elected President). It could also be a case of each being too overwhelming to fit into a supporting role, you don't want your VP to overshadow the candidate.

On the Republican side, at this point I'd go for Huckabee for VP, since the rest of them have no cred with the bible belt and that's a good base to shore up as recent history has shown us. It's all about balancing your deficiencies after all.

S

Sanguinius

Griffith No More! said:
By then they'll be splitting from the party anyway to try and win the general election, that's one reason they run so much on personality politics at this point, if they're not vague enough, it'll look much worse when they shift all their policies to the center later. God bless politics. =)

I think Obama would be worth more to Hillary than the other way around, she'd love to get his general appeal and the independent votes he brings to the table to strengthen her candidacy, and I'm not sure her Democratic base is worth the rest of the baggage she brings to the table in a general election for Obama, don't think he needs. It's always nice to pool supporters, but they can find other ways to claim them if you keep in mind the detractors they'd also pool, frankly those not really comfortable voting for a woman or a black man, especially running against two white males (thus far the only people America has ever elected President). It could also be a case of each being too overwhelming to fit into a supporting role, you don't want your VP to overshadow the candidate.

On the Republican side, at this point I'd go for Huckabee for VP, since the rest of them have no cred with the bible belt and that's a good base to shore up as recent history has shown us. It's all about balancing your deficiencies after all.

How could you imagine Huckabee running under? McCain? seems like an odd alliance to me, but I guess he and Rudy would need to pander a bitto the religious wing of the Republican big tent but even still. Can't say I like Huckabee though, he seems overtly religious and seems to want to really bring the into his politics. On top of that his big economic plan is to replace the income tax with a sales tax, which is a really bad idea. I think you're right about the Obama Hillary thing though, Obama does have more to offer Hillary than she could offer him if he won.

Forest Wraith

Griffith No More! said:

I wouldn't be surprised if she puts him somewhere on her cabinet if she wins though. I wonder if that would sway you and others to voting for Hillary? I have to agree with your assessment that Bill was one of our best Presidents in recent years too.

Griffith

Sanguinius said:
How could you imagine Huckabee running under? McCain? seems like an odd alliance to me, but I guess he and Rudy would need to pander a bitto the religious wing of the Republican big tent but even still. Can't say I like Huckabee though, he seems overtly religious and seems to want to really bring the into his politics. On top of that his big economic plan is to replace the income tax with a sales tax, which is a really bad idea.

Well, the advantage of the vice president is you get to claim his positives to patch the holes in your own candidacy while largely ignoring his negatives. In Huckabee's case, the religious right will be happy he's there at least, it'll make them feel better about voting for that ticket (and I doubt the Dems will make them a better offer), while the people who don't like him won't care if they like the main candidate, because, hey, he's just the VP (plus he's more dynamic and charismatic beyond the factors of his faith). It's a convenient double standard, and I think it could work especially well with McCain since the evangelicals seem more dubious of him at this point than outright against him, like Rudy. Of course, that would be even more reason for Rudy to pick Huckabee.

Forest Wraith said:
I wouldn't be surprised if she puts him somewhere on her cabinet if she wins though. I wonder if that would sway you and others to voting for Hillary? I have to agree with your assessment that Bill was one of our best Presidents in recent years too.

Can't happen, it's the "Bobby Kennedy Law", no relative can be appointed to the President's cabinet because of the conflict of interest. It's really too bad, and ironic considering that Robert Kennedy was one of the best and certainly the most influential Attorney General we ever had. By the same token, the point is not to let these offices become so powerful due to a personal relationship to the President.

In any case, I'm sure Bill would find a way to keep busy as the First Gentleman, or as I would call him, "the lady's man." =)

CnC

Ad Oculos

Think there's any weight to this?:

http://www.eurotrib.com.nyud.net/story/2008/1/12/191247/981

Those machines be bad mojo, mon. :judo:

Apparently Kucinich's calling for a recount.

Griffith

And Mitt is now on the board with a win in Michigan (though he also had won ignored Wyoming), and we now have three different winners in the first three major primaries on Republican side... what a mess. Also, Clinton won Michigan for the Dems, but Obama and Edwards weren't on the ballot because the delegates aren't supposed to count due to scheduling violations of the state (the Democratic party is penalizing Michigan for holding their primary so early). Anyway, it can't hurt her, especially if the party changes its mind for some reason...

Also, Mike Huckabee continues to intrigue me, but now more in the way the new Joker intrigues me in The Dark Knight:

http://rawstory.com/news/2007/Huckabee_Amend_Constitution_to_meet_Gods_0115.html

Lettin' his crazy out! Really, he must be angling to be the VP for one of the religiously bankrupt candidates at this point. =)

Forest Wraith

Griffith No More! said:
Also, Mike Huckabee continues to intrigue me, but now more in the way the new Joker intrigues me in The Dark Knight:

To the Hawk-Mobile!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

CnC said:
most. pathetic. campaign. ever.
My fiancee is pondering what to do about her custom-made "Fred Sucks" bumper sticker, since neither of us like kicking a man when he's down.

Griffith

Okay, the poll has been updated and reset now that Drop Dead Fred has finally dropped (my money is on Edwards next). No more "I'm not a U.S. citizen" option either, just vote for who you would if you could.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great

Griffith No More! said:
Okay, the poll has been updated and reset now that Drop Dead Fred has finally dropped (my money is on Edwards next). No more "I'm not a U.S. citizen" option either, just vote for who you would if you could.

By default shouldn't you remove Giuliani also? The guy is getting less votes then Ron Paul.

Edit: I like to point out how every poll before the election has been wrong about Giuliani and that Giuliani is doing horrible in the election.

Griffith

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
By default shouldn't you remove Giuliani also? The guy is getting less votes then Ron Paul.

Yeah, but if he wins Florida he's right back in there for Super Tuesday. Edwards is still on there because South Carolina is his home and he carried it last time, so it could keep him in contention, if he loses it though... well, he'd just be a jerk to keep going. =)

Especially since I believe his presence is hurting our beloved Obama. :judo:

Speaking of which, what do we have here? McCain currently leading the poll against those young punks! :daiba:

Top Bottom