First medium of exposure to Berserk

What was your first medium of exposure to the Berserk universe?

• Manga

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • Anime

Votes: 73 61.3%
  • Dreamcast game

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • PS2 game

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.2%

• Total voters
Peregrine_Falcon said:
I would have chosen anime in that case.

I guess I could of, but if that AMV didn't exist, then odds are I wouldn't of even found out about the Anime at all. Could go both ways I'd suppose. The only thing Berserk related I have ever found without looking for it, was in an Arch Enemy booklet, but I wouldn't of known what it was to make a connection.

Oburi

All praise Grail
AMaineKillingFrost said:
The only thing Berserk related I have ever found without looking for it, was in an Arch Enemy booklet, but I wouldn't of known what it was to make a connection.

Arch enemy booklet??

Oburi said:
Arch enemy booklet??

Yeah, I was shocked. Arch Enemy is a melodic death metal band from Sweden who has a German woman on vocals (cause for a lot of the attention they receive) If you like shred then check them out, but if you hate metal then I wouldn't bother. But anyways one of them was wearing a Femto t-shirt in a group photo that was in the Doomsday packet. They're a famous band too in the metal community.

S

Sanguinius

Iilysium said:
I saw the manga once in a public library. Many years ago before I began reading Berserk.

You seen Berserk in a public library?! What country are you from?

My first sighting of Berserk was the most common one, namely the anime.

Billybob

Succumb to the will of the beast
Saw the anime first, one of my first anime to watch actually. Then Berserk was the first manga I bought and read. Heh, now my shelves are filled with the stuff. A nice way to past otherwise boring time.

Kieichi

Nerds get chicks, trust me.
I first got into Berserk thru the Dreamcast game, and of course had hardly any idea what was going on. Later I came across the anime, made the connection and then researched some more and got the manga and I've been addicted since. :serpico:

BTW this is my first post, lurked around the main skullknight page for a while now.

Godred

Once sent from the Golden Hall.
An old friend used to talk with me about it all of the time. I first thought it was just a Japanese book. I remember discussing it a lot. Then later on he showed me many pictures of the characters. Way later he told me that it was in fact a show, he gave me the first two episodes on CD. They where horribly pixelated, but absolutely breathtaking, to finally see Guts in movement was just amazing to me. After those two episodes i found the Dreamcast game, then the manga and then watched the rest of the animated series. Berserk is to me, what Lord of the rings is to the black metal society haha.

Okin

The Ultimate Battle Creature
One day while my mind was slowly rotting from Naruto and other Shonen, I decided to find more mature manga. But I was so disgusted with generics that I needed the most extreme Seinen I could find not just some occult Shonen I've heard of before. I find out that there's a manga named Berserk. Well that sounds violent enough! I live in Jersey and almost never go outside, so I of course resorted to the dreaded scanlations (Forgive me!). I read through the first 16 volumes in about a week, and I couldn't stop. I wanted to know more, share this epic story with someone. Of course, the air breathers at school were immediately disgusted by the Count's pseudo-apostle coming out of his mouth, and ran away screaming that its just an immature gorefest that could never distract them from their Sitcoms and Romantic-Comedy movies. I find this jewel in the cesspools of the internet, and the rest you know: I talk like a retard, Aaz shuts me down, I try to defend myself, Aaz shuts me down some more, and I start following everything he says.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Okin said:
I talk like a retard, Aaz shuts me down, I try to defend myself, Aaz shuts me down some more, and I start following everything he says.

Picard_Borg.jpg

Resistance is futile.​

Godred

Okin said:
Of course, the air breathers at school were immediately disgusted by the Count's pseudo-apostle coming out of his mouth, and ran away screaming that its just an immature gorefest that could never distract them from their Sitcoms and Romantic-Comedy movies.

I don't think Berserk was strongly meant to be shared throughout the Manga/anime/Otaku/whateverthefuck community. It doesn't surprise me at the least how they reacted. Berserk definitely has a much more western European feel to it. Not the same ol, samurai with magic power, super big robot, overly symbolic deep love story, same old same old way out there anime feel. I think its something that anyone who has the heart for, can dive into. Rather than being something that belongs under the anime sign. In the respect of it being grouped, it really doesnt belong in the anime section.
Dont get me wrong, I know a lot of anime can get deep and raw. But this story is something that isnt going to be enjoyed by just anyone who can say the love story under the anime moon. Berserk cant be touched like that. Assuming your friends at school are all Manga people. Well, if they read the manga in the first place I think I'm right to assume so.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Godred said:
I don't think Berserk was strongly meant to be shared throughout the Manga/anime/Otaku/whateverthefuck community.

Such a community didn't even exist when Berserk was created. Those were better times.

Godred

Aazealh said:
Such a community didn't even exist when Berserk was created. Those were better times.

Oh I knowz. Talking long before it started appearing on the shelves so frequently here. Anime lovers where few and far in between. Old and new, none of it has such a feel to it.

The anime's ending was spoiled for me while waiting in line at a fast food chain, and even though it was nuts I figured there was now no point in checking it out.
Later I watched my boyfriend play the Dreamcast game and the dialogue went something like this:
me: Who is that?
bf: His girlfriend.
me: Girlfriend?! Why's he with her? He's either sick or really nice...? :isidro:
bf: You dummy. She wasn't always like that, she used to be a skilled warrior, like a lieutenant of an army or something.
me: Geez, well what happened to her?
bf: Uhhh, not sure...

I tried watching the first episode with my friend, and we were both pleasantly underwhelmed and didn't even bother with the second. I decided to forget about it until some years later when I noticed my boyfriend reading something. Curiousity + comment on how it was more violent than Gantz (o_0 really?) + big time boredom = finally read the manga. I'm soooo glad I did, whatever it took.

A friend of mine had some episodes of the anime on CD (way before the DVDs were released). I borrowed a few and I liked what I saw, a lot. I watched all of the episodes he had, but I didn't get to watch the final episode which made me look for information on the internet. That led me to SK.net and the manga which I've enjoyed much more.

This little stroll down memory lane reminded me of something (off-topic) which I would like somebody to confirm or refute. I remember that when I first came across SK.net (around 2001, I believe) there where some scanlations available (a few episodes after the eclipse). The reason I ask is because lately I've come to realize that some stuff I remember as a fact didn't actually happen or happened differently :judo: and I'd like to know if this is one of those situations.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
m said:
I remember that when I first came across SK.net (around 2001, I believe) there where some scanlations available (a few episodes after the eclipse). The reason I ask is because lately I've come to realize that some stuff I remember as a fact didn't actually happen or happened differently  :judo: and I'd like to know if this is one of those situations.

I wasn't here in 2001 so I can't say for sure, but since the policy here is "no scanlations," I assume there weren't any available.  You can always pick up the Dark Horse release of Vol. 13, or the original Japanese one, if you're confused about what did or didn't happen.

Rhombaad said:
I wasn't here in 2001 so I can't say for sure, but since the policy here is "no scanlations," I assume there weren't any available. You can always pick up the Dark Horse release of Vol. 13, or the original Japanese one, if you're confused about what did or didn't happen.

I'm sorry, perhaps I didn't make myself clear. What I'd like to know is if there were in fact some scanlations hosted here at some point in time. I'm not asking for scanlations, I know the rules. The thing is that my memory seems to be failing me and I'd like to know if this situation I remember indeed happen or I'm just imagining things.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
m said:
I remember that when I first came across SK.net (around 2001, I believe) there where some scanlations available (a few episodes after the eclipse).

This is correct. The events right after the Occultation were put online by Walter at the time, to help fans that had just finished watching the animated series understand what was going on. However there were taken down pretty quickly, and it's not a part of SK.net history that we're particularly proud of (i.e. it never happened and mentioning it is doubleplusungood).

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Aazealh said:
The events right after the Occultation were put online by Walter at the time, to help fans that had just finished watching the animated series understand what was going on.

Whoops, my bad. :SK:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, we shamefully hosted a few episodes that directly followed the last episode of the anime since we were getting that question about 100x daily when new members were showing up. It was just easier to show them.

slayer81

Legendary pimp, slayer of evils
Peregrine_Falcon said:
What was your introduction to Berserk?
The first time I'd ever even heard of Berserk was at my office. One of my colleagues kept talking about it. So when I asked him about the series, he let me borrow the books. I haven't looked back since. :serpico:

Aazealh said:
This is correct. The events right after the Occultation were put online by Walter at the time, to help fans that had just finished watching the animated series understand what was going on. However there were taken down pretty quickly, and it's not a part of SK.net history that we're particularly proud of (i.e. it never happened and mentioning it is doubleplusungood).

Walter said:
Yep, we shamefully hosted a few episodes that directly followed the last episode of the anime since we were getting that question about 100x daily when new members were showing up. It was just easier to show them.

Thank you both for answering my question. I guess I can postpone a visit to the doctor for a little longer. :guts:

Perhaps you feel it was not a very good thing to do, but it probably helped introduce people to the manga. It worked for me, and for that, I thank you too.

Anyway, I promise not to bring that up again.

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
Downloaded the anime, and after getting over the being kicked in the nuts feeling I sought out the Manga.

Later on I bought the Anime box set.

First I saw Berserk AMV with Chop Suey by System of A Down, I was shocked, I looked for that anime for some time, but then it was nearly impossible to find it in my town. Couple of years later my friend gave it to me, it's still in my top 5 and I know that manga is waaay better. Again in a year or something I saw volume 17 in one of the NEC stores in Boston with Guts and Puck on the cover, then it all begun. :rakshas:

Top Bottom