Who will win?

• New England Patriots

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • New York Giants

Votes: 10 45.5%

• Total voters

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Is anyone excited about the Super Bowl? I AM! Mostly because I'm going to be in Las Vegas during it, which is pretty much my first out of state vacation in about 20 years. Also I'm excited because my favorite team is going to be there. That's right, the New York Giants! Can the Giants defense overcome Tom Brady's wicked witchery? Will Eli be able to maintain his composure? I'd rather have had the Colts come through so we could have brother vs. brother in the Oreo Bowl. I'm with the Giants all the way. Does anyone want to make a wager? (And offer me a 12 point spread?)

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
I don't give a rats arse about American football.

At least not usually. This time around though, I've been watching the playoffs quite avidly. I'm not adapting into this across the pond way of life -- more I was really enjoying watching Favre do his thing, as well as New England breaking records. Now Green Bay are out, it's not my desired Superbowl... so really I'm just going to watch it for the kicks and the adverts. I'm still a NY boy, though, so I'm not really siding with any team. It would be excellent to see a 19-0 from the Pats -- mostly to see everyone else bitch and whine about it.

S

smoke

I wish the Packers would've gotten crushed by New England. It was our right, god dammit!

berserker88

The Raging Demon
Well at this point the NFL should just shut down, its obvious the Pats own the league now. Oh and GO PATS!!!!!!!!!!!

-there my fav team next to the Seahawks.

Oburi

All praise Grail
It would have been a better game if GB was in. But seriously NY is ganna get wrecked. They don't stand a chance against the pats. I'm not really a hardcore football fan but I could tell you that mauch. Since I live in NE I at least have to root for my hometeam.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Wow, an actual sports thread on here! And I thought the reference to the Giants/Packers game in the Youtube thread yesterday was a big deal.

Anyway, since the Niners lived up to my expectations and totally failed out of the league by October, I largely take a "may the best team win" attitude. I can actually enjoy the playoffs much more when my team isn't contending. Anyway, excellence should be rewarded so I want to see 19-0, but the Giants are the perfect scrappy underdog to take on the perfect team. And if they pull it off, it's no less an amazing story, and what sport is all about, really. Speaking of which, that last game of the season they played was excellent, it was like they were playing a personal game in the street, just for pride, which again is how it should be (it's only all the more sad some people still don't get why the Giants played their starters). Look what it did for the Giants, meanwhile, all those puss teams that rest their guys for three weeks get blown off the field. It's the same type of cowardly approach that causes coaches to lose more games for their team than win them, and I'm glad these two teams put them all to shame.

So, the Giants were the gatekeepers to 16-0, and it's only fitting that they also guard the threshold to perfection.

Uriel

That was almost poetic, Griff.

I'd like to talk sport here more, but with basic cable and no TNT to watch ANY NBA on.. well, I'm watching American football for fuck sake. That roughly sums it up.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
Well, since the Jets are a pathetic excuse for a team and have let me down once again (at least they did better than the dolphins!) I am going to throw my support behind the Giants. I don't follow american football either though, but since the guys I live with do I can't help but hear about it.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Uriel said:
I'd like to talk sport here more, but with basic cable and no TNT to watch ANY NBA on.. well, I'm watching American football for fuck sake. That roughly sums it up.

I coulda sworn TNT was on basic cable. At least I think it is where I am.

S

smoke

Discuss the following statement:

The Patriots are becoming the Yankees of football.

CnC

Ad Oculos
smoke said:

With great success comes a backlash, apparently. A few years ago everyone was talking about how special everyone on that team is, now apparently they're all douchebags. :schierke:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
smoke said:
Discuss the following statement:

My first thought is it's funny to compare a team that's won all its championships since 2001 to a team that hasn't won anything since 2000. Shouldn't the Patriots be losing for this comparison? Anyway, it's an ignorant statement in a number of ways unless one is referring to a status of historical excellence. For one thing, the Patriots' success has come with par for the course talent and fiscal responsibility. They stayed under the cap, made smart moves, and then won, whereas the Yankees currently blow a bunch of money on big names that don't help their team and lose. Even this year it's not like the Patriots just outspent everybody, they make excellent trades and get stars to take less money for a shot at the title.

If anything, they're like the Spurs, and they're pretty much similarly dismissed somehow despite being the winningest teams in sports for like the last decade.

BTW, http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3210779

Uriel said:
Really?

Regular wall to TV cable? Well, it sure as shit isn't showing.

Okay, Uriel, you need to quote when you're addressing a random point from a few posts back in the context of a new conversation; for a second I was trying to figure out your metaphor of walls to TV cables as are the Patriots to the Yankees. =)

Uriel

Apologies...

BUT TO WHOM?! Nah, seriously, Griff -- will do from now on. Although, I'm honoured you'd look that deep into my post :p

Go Patriots! I hope it's a blowout.

I think Eli's going to revert to his struggling ways in face of a masterful gameplan by Belichick. He's had 2 weeks to prepare.

Not to mention NY gave the Pats a good game when they had clinched the playoffs and had nothing to lose. Now they have everything to lose and if Eli has a few 3 and outs, I see him getting rash and reckless with the football.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Well the 4th quarter was by far the most exciting. Congrats to the Giants, they played some incredible defense early on and their offense caught up with them by the end.

Top Bottom