Free subscription to EGM courtesy of Joystiq

CnC

Ad Oculos
Peregrine_Falcon said:
What's the catch?

spam in your email. Your address sent to every single magazine of that sort so they can start sending you shit. That and after the year is up you will start being charged for it if you forget to "unsubscribe".

I'll pass.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
I signed up.

Why? Because when I move from my apartment in about a year, some other sucker will get the mail. In the mean time, I get stuff to read whilst I'm on the bog and, as Falcon suggests, after I'm done with the bog too.

CnC said:
That and after the year is up you will start being charged for it if you forget to "unsubscribe".

I'm not trying to defend my "purchase" but it clearly stated on Joystiq's main site that it will just end when the year is up.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Uriel said:
I'm not trying to defend my "purchase" but it clearly stated on Joystiq's main site that it will just end when the year is up.

Ah. Well there's that at least, I suppose. And just to defend my skepticism I like EGM and listen to most of the 1up podcasts, I just don't really see why I would need the magazine in addition to the internet. meh, thats just me.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
I like EGM and listen to most of the 1up podcasts, I just don't really see why I would need the magazine in addition to the internet. meh, thats just me.
This is my take as well. I was a faithful subscriber to EGM throughout adolescence, so they've already got my allowance for several years. These days I don't see the purpose of print media for something like video games, when the Internet improves every aspect of reporting the news in spades. Hell, these days I get news of the latest video game stuff here on SKnet thanks to diligent members.

And yeah, I listen to the 1up podcasts as well. What a bunch of fucking nerds. Usually highly entertaining though :guts:

CnC

Ad Oculos
Walter said:
And yeah, I listen to the 1up podcasts as well. What a bunch of fucking nerds. Usually highly entertaining though :guts:

Yup. I fear I'm just as nerdtacular, as I love listening to 1up Yours and GFW Radio. EGM Live kinda sucks, tho.

Uriel

To be honest, I'm tired of going to Borders to read Edge (my favourite) and other magazines without buying them.

I'm not one to keep issues either, so this is literally just something else for me to read besides text books. The Internet > Magazines these days, that much is apparent.. but eh, it's sort of nice to be able to read various reviews of games I've never heard of, for example.

Walter said:

CnC said:
Yup. I fear I'm just as nerdtacular, as I love listening to 1up Yours and GFW Radio. EGM Live kinda sucks, tho.

Quoted these for truth.

At first, I didn't like the guys, but they're kind of growing on me. I do like it when the English chaps join them -- someone needs to put Shane Bettenhausen in his place [/revealinglovehaterleationshiptowardsshane]. Still, it's the only gaming podcast I'll listen to, besides the Kojima Productions report.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Uriel said:
At first, I didn't like the guys, but they're kind of growing on me. I do like it when the English chaps join them -- someone needs to put Shane Bettenhausen in his place [/revealinglovehaterleationshiptowardsshane].

Yup. While all are knowledgeable about the industry sometimes they can tread into fanboy territory (and start taking stuff personally). Fortunately it's pretty easy to spot, and Shane is a pretty bad offender. However when one of the brits are on or they have guests like N'Gai Croal on it usually makes for a great podcast.
The GFW podcast this week was pretty good, they went off on griefing Second Life and the Mike Wilson/John Romero scuffle. Hilarity ensued.

Another good gaming podcast you might want to try is the "Gamers with Jobs" podcast. Usually pretty good discussion and occasionally they'll have good guests on. Last week (I believe) they spoke with Ken Levine of Bioshock fame.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Uriel said:
Cool beans.

Would it be possible to provide your recently awoken brethren with links?

I usually get all this stuff off iTunes so this was my first time visiting the site :guts: :
http://www.gamerswithjobs.com/taxonomy/term/408

Uriel

Excellent. Cheers, mate!

A few minutes in, and it's a good one so far. Will probably stick with this one in the future. :badbone:

Top Bottom