How will you spend YOUR $600?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22782454/

[quote author=MSNBC.com]Congressional leaders announced a deal with the White House Thursday on an economic stimulus package that would give most tax filers refunds of $600 to $1,200, and more if they have children.[/quote]
I just asked my coworkers how they'll be using the funds, and their answers align with my own: pay off debt or invest it for the future. I've got a wedding coming up and a few grand of debt to pay off since college. But how will either of those options stimulate the economy significantly?

If people get "free" money, they'll largely respond in one of two ways: blow it indescriminately or invest it. Odds are, of course, the country will be split down the middle on those two options, so we could see SOME stimulation. I just don't see it happening with all this looming talk of RECESSIONRECESSIONRECESSION and recent interest rate cuts.

What are your plans, SKnetters?

"You know, many Americans believe that Washington is broken,” Boehner said. “But I think this agreement and I hope that this agreement will show the American people that we can fix it and will serve to move along other bipartisan agreements that we can have in the future.”
"This will show the American people we're willing to buy you an HDTV to keep believing we're not a broken system!" :carcus:

CnC

Ad Oculos
Walter said:
Odds are, of course, the country will be split down the middle on those two options, so we could see SOME stimulation.

I doubt it, man. It feels like chucking bottled water at a forest fire.
I don't think the even half of americans will invest it. Given the average amount of debt, or the temptation to blow it I don't really see it fixing the economic lull or really doing much to ease it.

Walter said:
What are your plans, SKnetters?

Well I already had a savings account so it'll probably end up in there.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
SaiyajinNoOuji-Trading Cards said:
Lifetime subscriptions for as many Free to Play MMO's that are out there... My god... it will be glorious! :griff:
Speaking of which, I tried out the 10-day free trial for World of Warcraft this week. That game blows. My $600 WON'T be going to Blizzard for that. However, I think I'll pick up a legitimate copy of the Diablo II expansion, now that I mention it... (whoa, I made the tangent relate to the topic!)

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Walter said:
Speaking of which, I tried out the 10-day free trial for World of Warcraft this week. That game blows. My $600 WON'T be going to Blizzard for that. However, I think I'll pick up a legitimate copy of the Diablo II expansion, now that I mention it... (whoa, I made the tangent relate to the topic!)
Welp, I've kicked the habit (for now). Iv been clean from that game for about 3 months. My friend and I have been game Gypsies and have been wandering from game to game in hopes of finding shangrala. Playing EVE and Hellgate London at the moment. Anyways, didn't we just prove your theory of people spending the money in 2 ways? :troll:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Mine will be going into my savings account, in order to repair the damage my new Blu-ray player caused to said account. :guts:

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
PS3 -- I need to get next-gen somehow (wife bidding).

I heard it was $300, though. Ah well, whatever is left over goes STRAIGHT into my savings account. My car is 14 years old and already cost me more money than I have. My small debts were cleared as of x-mas, but I'm warey of the little bastard now. Honestly, I know little about economics as I'm far from fiscally minded -- but I cannot see this helping too much. Maybe when spending by the government decreases, the citisen spending will go up. I know I'd spend more. I don't think my wife and I count as a working couple as I'm a full-time, 18 credit a semester student while she is full-time. We get enough fiscal aid as is, so I do not set my hopes as high as $1,200, let alone $600.

Walter said:
"This will show the American people we're willing to buy you an HDTV to keep believing we're not a broken system!"
Well played. You owe me 500ml of beer for that which just shot out my nose while I laughed :miura:

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
If I do get $600, I can tag team it with the money I have saved in the bank and finally catch up on rent. That would be super.

I'm still waiting for someone to say Strippers and Beer.

No but seriously it seems most of the people on this forum either want to pay off debts or buy some form of technology.

i doubt that i'll be geting anywhere close to 600 bucks, but if I get anything back, it'll help pay for rent, film and any road trips that must be taken.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Rhombaad said:
Mine will be going into my savings account, in order to repair the damage my new Blu-ray player caused to said account. :guts:
Hate to break it to you but I believe the current Blu-Rays wont be able to play the 2.0 stuff. Hope you got one that supports it! :ganishka:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Hate to break it to you but I believe the current Blu-Rays wont be able to play the 2.0 stuff. Hope you got one that supports it! :ganishka:

...what? :griff: Is it fixable by firmware update? Shit...

EDIT: Yeah, the one I have is obsolete...so I'm returning it to Amazon.com, as I've yet to actually open it and set it up. I'll probably buy a PS3 as that is currently the only player out that's "future proof" from what I've read. And there are games coming out on it that I'm interested in purchasing. Ugh, technology. :schierke:

Fuck, we gotta wait 6 more months for our tax returns.

Lifetime subscriptions for as many Free to Play MMO's that are out there... My god... it will be glorious! :griff:

You're still eligible despite living in Japan?

CnC

Ad Oculos
Rhombaad said:
EDIT: Yeah, the one I have is obsolete...so I'm returning it to Amazon.com, as I've yet to actually open it and set it up. I'll probably buy a PS3 as that is currently the only player out that's "future proof" from what I've read. And there are games coming out on it that I'm interested in purchasing. Ugh, technology. :schierke:

Sony: We got another one!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
These checks are supposedly being distributed in early May, which is coming right up. Has anyone changed their minds on how they'll spend it? I've decided to spend it on computer parts, since my computer is so freakin old (it has circa ~2001 parts), Im probably going to upgrade it with the cash. That and I want to join in on the Age of Conan MMO - which is launching around the same time as the checks.

Im getting an Intel Core 2 Quad 6600 (2.4Ghz), some decent mobo to house it, and 4Gigs of RAM.

Is anyone doing anything more creative with it, like buying $600 worth of first-class stamps that never lose their value, just to stick it to the man. Or even better, burying it in the backyard and spending it in 50 years to REALLY stick it to the man

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Walter said:
Is anyone doing anything more creative with it, like buying $600 worth of first-class stamps that never lose their value, just to stick it to the man. Or even better, burying it in the backyard and spending it in 50 years to REALLY stick it to the man

I actually own nothing but first-class stamps and the last time I counted they were numbering in the thousands. Also I'm putting half into my cd fund and the rest into a new bank account. Yep really sticking it to the man there. :judo:

It's incredibly tempting for me to go on a DVD shopping spree, considering I haven't bought one in about a year (I use to have a habit of about one a week, then I somehow became poor.....), but I think I'm going to save it for either a new camera (a Rolleiflex!!!) or a lens for my 16mm.

.....yeah......

slayer81

Legendary pimp, slayer of evils
As it sounds cliche at this point, I am using mine to get out of debt so I will be ready to move into a new house in 6 months. Although, it really would be tempting to buy the last few volumes of Berserk that I am missing. :serpico:

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
The Perineum Falcon said:
It's incredibly tempting for me to go on a DVD shopping spree

It's ALWAYS tempting! I might take a hundred of it and go pick up some Criterion dvds I don't have. I currently only own 4 Kurosawa titles and that's a damn crying shame.

Godred

Once sent from the Golden Hall.
My buddy's mom is paying for us to go to Florida. So I'm sure a great chunk of this money will be taken out at Epcot's Norway gift shop. Then maybe a pressure pot and some art supplies. I do want a new PSU though...

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
I'll be spending about half of it on gas I bet, maybe all of it depending on how much I get. Yeah, $4.00 a gallon sucks. The rest is my summer fund 'till I get a job.

Top Bottom