Anon. VS Scientology: Who ever wins, we lose!

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
Walter said:
I hear all that, but I think that's Anon talking sweetly into your ear against THE MAN. :guts:
We should stack Scientology next to Christianity to see which institution is guilty of more deaths.
If you made enough adjustments for scale they might compare but probably not. I wouldn't care if they got rid of all the religions, I think they're all equaly silly.

I'm not nearly as interested in the war on scientology as the fact that anon has maintained its attention on one thing for nearly a month.

CnC said:
zing! But give it time, Walter, I'm sure with time and the proper guidance Scientology can be just as guilty of mass murder as the other religions. It's still young, after all.

Your post got me thinking, tho. Just an off topic: Is it the monotheistic religions that seem more prone to murder in their respective singular god's name or is modern history just overshadowing the lesser known polytheistic driven atrocities? [/off-topic]

I don't think the two are linked in a direct causal chain, bit I'd say that Monotheism has more of a tendency.

In my mind this would be because of the (relative) strength of monotheism in tribal coherence (please understand I am using "tribal" loosely here). It's not that, say, Christianity is inherently likely to cause genocide (indeed, Jesus never approached the idea of Just Violence/ Just War, to my knowledge) but, rather, that the cultural identity imparted by being Christian/Islamic lends itself more toward an 'Us Vs. Them' mentality, much the same as the current 'Us Vs. Terrorists' mentality.

Polytheism has a tendency to be too fractious internally for that in most cases, I would think.

Those thrice damned Thor-followers fucked another of our goats, Dad! I think I saw him!
Well, son, we're going to show them how Heimdall deals with that: Death By Horsecock
http//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenneth_Pinyan

Edit: Damn you, CnC, for removing that post. :puck:

How do you bloody well use a true hyperlink here? I'd like to incorporate the wiki-link into the phrase used above.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
I think you could do that by publicizing some of the more blatantly crazy ideas of the religion.

As far as I've heard that's mostly what people are doing. Distributing tracts and telling people to go to xenu.net, a site online since 1996 set on exposing Scientology's bullshit and shady activities. The silly threats and DDoS attacks aren't the whole thing. But then again, I can't say that I've really been following this stuff.

Nonsapient said:
In my mind this would be because of the (relative) strength of monotheism in tribal coherence (please understand I am using "tribal" loosely here). It's not that, say, Christianity is inherently likely to cause genocide (indeed, Jesus never approached the idea of Just Violence/ Just War, to my knowledge) but, rather, that the cultural identity imparted by being Christian/Islamic lends itself more toward an 'Us Vs. Them' mentality, much the same as the current 'Us Vs. Terrorists' mentality.

I wouldn't be so sure about that if I were you. The Romans changed Christianity so it would fit their views, not the other way around. I think it's a matter of historical context for the most part, but it's true that with a single god it's easier to claim his cause to justify your actions ("I killed all my rivals to become king and now I'm going to war against our neighbors, not because I'm power-hungry and after this troubled ascension I need to assert my power, but because it's the almighty word of GOD!").

Nonsapient said:
How do you bloody well use a true hyperlink here? I'd like to incorporate the wiki-link into the phrase used above.

There are many online resources explaining how to do it, and it's pretty simple really. You could also just quote my post and look at it.

Aazealh said:
I wouldn't be so sure about that if I were you. The Romans changed Christianity so it would fit their views, not the other way around. I think it's a matter of historical context for the most part, but it's true that with a single god it's easier to claim his cause to justify your actions ("I killed all my rivals to become king and now I'm going to war against our neighbors, not because I'm power-hungry and after this troubled ascension I need to assert my power, but because it's the almighty word of GOD!").

Oh, I wasn't even stating that it was necessary even for the God justification, just that, with Monotheism, it may be much easier to designate an 'in' group and an all inclusive 'out' group.

The justification thing could be used with most any faith (" Thor commanded me to rape those virgin men and war against my neighbors!").

And, if my statement earlier indicated certainty, please understand it was purely 100% speculation (in other words, unfounded bullshit).

CnC

Ad Oculos
Nonsapient said:
For the sake of cleanliness, can we get a spinoff? :casca:

Well I composed a rough draft of what a possible thread with that subject would start with, but frankly I don't really know enough about the subject material to frame a coherent conversation about it (so I dropped it). You're free to start one, tho :serpico:

CnC said:
Well I composed a rough draft of what a possible thread with that subject would start with, but frankly I don't really know enough about the subject material to frame a coherent conversation about it (so I dropped it). You're free to start one, tho :serpico:

I'm just full of 100% grade A "I-think-I-Know-what-I'm-talking-about" bullshit, so I've really nothing more to contribute either. Consider this sub-thread dead.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
A mate of mind just sent me this:

http://xenutv.wordpress.com/2008/03/17/a-heartbreaking-tale-from-dc/

I've only been mildly following it, but this whole story is quite chilling. Also, what is with all acronyms in Scientology?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Uriel said:
Also, what is with all acronyms in Scientology?

The use of acronyms and weird jargon makes what you say unintelligible to people outside your group. It gives people the illusion of an intellectual edge, and also makes it look like their bullshit is really a complicated science to neophytes.

Forest Wraith

Evil is born when we lose power over ourselves.
I wonder if it's occurred to any of the anons demonstrating in public how big of an oxymoron it is to appear in public and declare yourself as anonymous . . .

slayer81

Legendary pimp, slayer of evils
Forest Wraith said:
I wonder if it's occurred to any of the anons demonstrating in public how big of an oxymoron it is to appear in public and declare yourself as anonymous . . .

LMAO, an excellent point! Unless those demonstrating aren't really Anonymous and are just doubles :p

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Forest Wraith said:

They wore masks for the most part.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
This is pretty interesting...

Seems the Church of Scientology (or, amusingly, CO$) have apparently tried to stop this interview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNUjMz9-W2I

slayer81

Legendary pimp, slayer of evils
Uriel said:
This is pretty interesting...

Seems the Church of Scientology (or, amusingly, CO$) have apparently tried to stop this interview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNUjMz9-W2I

Hm, an underground group of nihilistic hackers vs. a cult of rich nutjobs. This should get very interesting :serpico:

Top Bottom