New Readers (No Spoilers)

Re: Current Episodes Thread

Shane said:
I'm surprised how much
the death of uncle gon
gets to me :iva:

Yeah, I also found it touching. But I think it's partly because we know that he was the only one, aside from Granny Hon'iden, that truly had faith in Matahachi becoming a better man.
For him to die while Matahachi runs away
... it's like Inoue's telling us he's really, really hopeless.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Re: Current Episodes Thread

Eluvei said:
Yeah, I also found it touching. But I think it's partly because we know that he was the only one, aside from Granny Hon'iden, that truly had faith in Matahachi becoming a better man. For him to die while Matahachi runs away... it's like Inoue's telling us he's really, really hopeless.
On one hand, yeah, that's probably one of Matahachi's lowest points. But at the same time, the incident really humanizes him. As much as you want to hate him for being a coward, I think that Gon
's death
helped Matahachi realize that if he just keeps running away in various ways, he'll end up losing everything that really matters. Of course, being Matahachi, I don't think it properly sinks in for some time... :azan:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Shane said:
I hope this is in the right section.

As Slan said, best to keep the discussion of earlier volumes here (I should probably give the thread a makeover to make it more clearly for general series discussion, like Manga Mausoleum), and you'll want to be careful looking in the Current Episodes thread anyway, thar be spoilers!

Shane said:
I progressed a bit farther in the series, I'm on vol. 12 at the moment. I'm surprised how much
the death of uncle gon
gets to me :iva:

Glad to hear you've made progress, that's one of my favorite volumes, and not surprising you feel that way, though it's certainly unexpected while you're reading. It's so worthless. :sad:

slan69 said:
Yeah I felt really bad for uncle Gon as well, he was a nice man
and he died
trying to protect that idiot Matahachi. :sad:
Yeah, moral of the story, don't help Matahatchi! :schierke:

Eluvei said:
Yeah, I also found it touching. But I think it's partly because we know that he was the only one, aside from Granny Hon'iden, that truly had faith in Matahachi becoming a better man.
For him to die while Matahachi runs away
... it's like Inoue's telling us he's really, really hopeless.

Yeah, and it was all the more touching because Gon saw right through Matahachi and knew him for what he was yet still loved him and thought he was good enough to be somebody, maybe not a big somebody, but a somebody. Matahachi would have been better off spending more time with Gon, he encouraged him when he needed it, but called him out too. Gon had realistic expectations and knew before Matahachi did what a good life he had setup for him.

Grail said:
On one hand, yeah, that's probably one of Matahachi's lowest points. But at the same time, the incident really humanizes him. As much as you want to hate him for being a coward, I think that Gon
's death
helped Matahachi realize that if he just keeps running away in various ways, he'll end up losing everything that really matters. Of course, being Matahachi, I don't think it properly sinks in for some time... :azan:

Yeah, that's a good point, and a theme about Matahachi in general; he's sort of good at hitting rock bottom and finding the light down there for the rest of us.

Minotaur said:
I finished volume 3 last night (I started Wedsday) and I plan to read 4-6 today. It seems like a fun series so far. I can't wait to read more!

And it just keeps getting better, man! If I had to pick, my personal favorites are probably volumes 13, 14 and 25.

Keep posting your impressions as you progress! I'm always interested in reading people's takes on such a rich story.

Have picked up and read the 5 Viz Big Editions that are out. AWESOME series. Its so easy to put it up so much higher then so many other series i've read just for the sheer philosophy and character development. I tihnk im going to die waiting for the other big editions, ill probably jsut cave and read it online even though i don't want to.

Griffith

Draculoid said:
Have picked up and read the 5 Viz Big Editions that are out. AWESOME series. Its so easy to put it up so much higher then so many other series i've read just for the sheer philosophy and character development.

Very nice, that's the way to take the plunge! It's actually hard to even think of an facet of Vagabond that doesn't set it above most series, art, story, you name it.

Draculoid said:
I tihnk im going to die waiting for the other big editions, ill probably jsut cave and read it online even though i don't want to.

If you're that desperate, and believe me I understand, don't forget that you can also order the individual volumes here. You might like them even more than the BIGs, and you can always trade up later if you want consistency.

Griffith

As usual, let us know what you think, it's a great volume. :SK:

I'd have gotten 14 and 15 together though. :guts:

P.S. Doh, I can't seem to find the post where I broke down in what pairs or groups I would order the volumes in for the best reading experience while still spacing out the purchases.

So after reading up to volume 15 i gotta say i think my favorite character is Matahachi. How is he recieved by people generaly? and who are some other peoples favs? (if this should be in another thread just relate it to characters in the first 5 volumes that i've read)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Draculoid said:
So after reading up to volume 15 i gotta say i think my favorite character is Matahachi. How is he recieved by people generaly? and who are some other peoples favs? (if this should be in another thread just relate it to characters in the first 5 volumes that i've read)
Matahachi's among my favorites as well, and I even made a little thread defending him: http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=9926.0

While I like all the characters, the ones who really steal scenes for me, and I pore over each panel they're in are: Takuan and Ittosai.

Griffith

My favorite is easily Musashi, and it's hard for me to pick a second or even throw out other names because most of them fascinate me in some way. I never really thought about this before, but while Musashi is the star, Vagabond is full of "favorite" characters to me, it's like a favorite ensemble, you can put almost any of the major supporting characters in that category. I can't even say that for Berserk, but then, my favorite there kind of stands out.
griffnotevil2.gif

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
グリフィス said:
I'd have gotten 14 and 15 together though. :guts:

Haha, I remember you saying that, but I just can't afford to buy more than one per paycheck right now.

グリフィス said:
P.S. Doh, I can't seem to find the post where I broke down in what pairs or groups I would order the volumes in for the best reading experience while still spacing out the purchases.

I think it might be in this thread, but I'm not sure. I had it favorited at one time, but I've lost track of it since then.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
グリフィス said:

I found it. I think this will help you out Rhombaad
グリフィス said:
That's true, 13, 14, and 15 would be packed together at this rate, and even more awkward for those in the know, 19, 20, and 21. I totally share that sentiment, it was great as originally presented, though there is that one mitigating factor, the Kohei min-arc. If you can disregard that, and really, it's not easy considering some it's own haunting allusions, I think you can get past the Kojiro arc starting in the same book. Still, there's no arguing the way to go is the volumes. My biggest complaint with Vagabig is similar, but simpler... it's just too big. The size of the regular volumes is most comfortable for reading.

... Thanks a lot ... I discovered this manga last week ... since, I spend all my freetime to read Vagabond volumes ..
... it's amazing ... the drawings are so rich ... it's art ..

Griffith

Yes, another convert! :guts:

Welcome to the Vagabond Inn, flagawax! Enjoy our many Vagabond discussions, related sections (in the menu above or in my sig below), and feel free to contribute to any and all of them if you wish.

Since the french publication debut I wanted to start Vagabond. Basically, it's been 9 years (march 2001). So, here I am :carcus:
I've already red the first volume and planning to buy a dozen (among others things like Eden and Gantz) next week cause I'll be in france for three weeks (I living in Montreal).

I'm waiting for at least 5 vol. behind me to give my first impressions. For the moment, I'm just curious on how the relation between Takezo and Matahachi will evolve in the future and can wait to see them aging/evolve/growing, reach their dreams and maybe... becoming rivals.

By the way, great emoticons !

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Ryouma said:
I'm waiting for at least 5 vol. behind me to give my first impressions. For the moment, I'm just curious on how the relation between Takezo and Matahachi will evolve in the future and can wait to see them aging/evolve/growing, reach their dreams and maybe... becoming rivals.

By the way, great emoticons !

OH you'll be surprised! Welcome to the Inn. I hope we hear your impressions when you get the next volumes.

Griffith

Welcome to the Inn, Ryouma! Looking forward to hearing your impressions when you're ready to share them, and thanks for the compliment on the emots. :badbone:

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
For you Vagabond fans or new readers, I'm selling my copies of the first 11 volumes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230442810691

It's got the 1st VizBig edition (volumes 1-3) and the individual volumes 4-11.

Top Bottom