pts and beserk

I was just thinking that both Gatts and Casca both suffer from post traumatic stress... through out the whole of what's out so far Gatts shows bigtime symptoms of it... cuz his childhood was majorly traumatic, and Casca had a whole set of traumas placed on her, aside from the joint trauma of life as a soldier and all...

I'd have to say that being having most of your friends die and then raped by a demon that was at one point your love interest/leader counts as a major cause for pts... which caused her mind to collaspe and the like, but even then there have been such cases where the sufferer "snaps out of it" and returns to normal or whatever... so what if this happened to Casca? How would that play out in the long run?  

Fishbomb

Fear the slightly white swordsman!
Yeah... PTS is a very good description of what they are going through. Throughly shellshocked the both of them, just dealing with it in different ways.

I think that Casca will snap out of it sooner or later, but what will happen then? No idea, I've stopped trying to second guess Miura about that, especially after chaper 187 and the rumours about chapter 188...

And, let's not forget Griffith while we're at it, spending a year being tortured would lead to some pretty severe trauma. I am not suprised he went through with the sacrifice, after allhe must have been pretty screwed up by then, having little but hate for humanity...

White_Hawk

The Only True Free Spirit / Dark Horse Rider
Please
let's not talk about stuff nobody here knows anything of,
like PTS...please?
Neither does Miura know shit about it, and it's betetr to keep the grim reality out of the whole picture. Berserk is nice enough without it.

yea, to have such details on the medievial society shows signs of research, and furthermore PTS is a common thing discussed in most psych classes, and like what better way to develop a character than to better know the human psyche? O_O;

Wereallmad

I love YaBB 1 Gold!
Please
let's not talk about stuff nobody here knows anything of,
like PTS...please?
Neither does Miura know shit about it, and it's betetr to keep the grim reality out of the whole picture. Berserk is nice enough without it.

Um, post traumatic stress syndrome is something I am 100% sure Miura knows about. It's a very common concept. Anyone who is going to write a story, script, screenplay, etc etc, about action willl most certainly know more than enough about the subject.

You see it in all the movies dealing with people whom have fought in a war of some sort. The guy with the eye-patch in firestarter, sylvester stalone in Rambo/First Blood, and so on.

It's not some unkown concept. I wouldn't be surprised if you know about it too, just under a diffferent name.

White_Hawk

I am in darkness mode right now, so I will try to be as little as offensive possible.
SO...
The PTS I believe you're talking about is post war syndrome, right?
I don't know the psycological study stuff that well, but I doubt it can be as useful as the real thing. And I would know abot the real thing from really personal experiences, and nothing like that is visible in berserk. I thank Miura for that.
I know also PTS it is a wide subject and fertile ground for many interpretations, but the stuff berserk characters manifest is some other form of trauma.

Wereallmad

I love YaBB 1 Gold!
posttraumatic stress disorder
n. Abbr. PTSD
A psychological disorder affecting individuals who have experienced or witnessed profoundly traumatic events, such as torture, murder, rape, or wartime combat, characterized by recurrent flashbacks of the traumatic event, nightmares, irritability, anxiety, fatigue, forgetfulness, and social withdrawal.

Post traumatic stress syndrome (or Posttraumatic stress disorder as it's called above) is a very common affliction. It involves reliving the stress accociated with some trauma, this can also be accompanies by hallucinations.

As shown above, war trauma can indeed cause it, but it is just one of the catalyists.

This is pretty much EXACTLY what Guts is dealing with.

Guts exhibits signs of post traumatic stress syndrome many times. When Farnaze is almost raped, he experiences it (it is visibly demonstrated, he "relives" the occultation, more importantly, the rape of Caska), when him and Caska are getting it on in hte forest, he experiences it (this time reliving the rape at the hands of Donovan). Those are two examples of it, I am pretty sure there are many more.

I suppose you can argue against my statement, but i don't really see how.

As for Caska, is she dealing with the same disorder, possibly. She does have flashbacks, but it's not quite the same as the ones Guts experiences.

What Caska is going through, is another disorder, I forget the name. It's when you revert back to an earlier state of mental development (in this case, that of infancy).

White_Hawk

Good examples. Completely true. However, I see I was referring to war trauma I wrongly assumed to be in question.
There are great amounts of rape trauma, since everyone important was either raped or sodomized. Hmmm, makes you wander about the author... (possible joke)

Wereallmad

I love YaBB 1 Gold!
I think Guts' trauma stems not only from his rape (I count sodomy as rape), but also from the rape of Caska, and the murder of the hawk soldiers.

I didn't state another part of the definition, which states that posttraumatic stress disorder is often caused by guilt (in this case, Guts probably feels guilty that he didn't die with the hawks) after surviving a traumatic event.

White_Hawk

Guts probably feels guilty that he didn't die with the hawks) after surviving a traumatic event.

May be, however what fascinates me about gatsu is his spite for all that surrounds him. The absolute reject of fear and desperation (of course, he locked it inside) in the wake of such horrenduos events. From that point of view, Miura made the deepest character ever, since all that gatsu locked away is now manifested as the beast of shadows. I particulary liked the part where gatsu comes to godor for the second time (somewhere around vol 17). We see him split for the first time after the count...

I said that, weare, only in condensed form... yeah, sodomy's rape, and to be raped by somebody as ugly as donovan......

I forgot the other disorder that Casca had, but it's kinda caused by traumatizing stresses and all too ... *is looking it up now*

Here we go, DID... (Dissociative Identity Disorder) and I quote:

Dissociation is a mental process which produces a lack of connection in a person's thoughts, memories, feelings, actions, or sense of identity. During the period of time when a person is dissociating, certain information is not associated with other information as it normally would be...

When faced with overwhelmingly traumatic situations from which there is no physical escape, a child may resort to "going away" in his or her head. This ability is typically used by children as an extremely effective defense against acute physical and emotional pain, or anxious anticipation of that pain. By this dissociative process, thoughts, feelings, memories, and perceptions of the traumatic experiences can be separated off psychologically, allowing the child to function as if the trauma had not occurred.

DID(MPD)/DD is often referred to as a highly creative survival technique, because it allows individuals enduring "hopeless" circumstances to preserve some areas of healthy functioning...

Yes. Dissociative disorders are highly responsive to individual psychotherapy, or "talk therapy," as well as to a range of other treatment modalities, including medications, hypnotherapy, and adjunctive therapies such as art or movement therapy. In fact, among comparably severe psychiatric disorders, DID(MPD) may be the condition that carries the best prognosis, if proper treatment is undertaken and completed. The course of treatment is long-term, intensive, and invariably painful, as it generally involves remembering and reclaiming the dissociated traumatic experiences. Nevertheless, individuals with DID(MPD)/DD have been successfully treated by therapists of all professional backgrounds working in a variety of settings.

The "hopeless circumstance " being the hawks all dying, her rape, and the horrible downfall of midland as a whole...

and the possibility of treatment or something to that affect could bring the warrior casca back... or something x_x;

Top Bottom