"The Spectacular Spider-Man" A new television series

Okin

The Ultimate Battle Creature
I saw the trailer awhile ago, just remembered it due to a Marvel Entertainment newsletter.
http://www.marvel.com/news/moviestories.2553.Spectacular_Spider-Man_Debuts_March_8
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0976192/

Seems like more degenerating of an old 80-90s masterpiece. Apparently its a re-telling of the original storyline but with as many references to teenage life as possible, strong Christian overtones; drug awareness episodes. Worst of all they're going to ruin Spidey's famous one-liners and comebacks, you can tell in the trailer! Also, NEW LOW BUDGET ANIMATION STYLE! Never again will Spider-man look remotely human, masculine, or mature!

To me the best version of Spider-man outside of the original comics was the 1994 animated series. Of course even that was censored: No guns, Spidey never punched anyone on screen, no blood either.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
Looks like its going the route of the new xmen and ninja turtle cartoons, with a poorly executed in your face "too cool" attitude, tailor made to be absolutely terrible to anyone over the age of 12. I really miss the good cartoons of the early 90s

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
though I'm a big fan of the spider-man comics, the 90' cartoon where great but Parker always seem a bit to big imo. still is the best series (after that it's the 60' cartoon that i like, cheesy but funny!)

i saw that trailer a while ago doesn't seem that bad compared to a series I've seen in the late 90'

Okin

He was kinda big, especially for a book worm, but I feel it gave Peter a more mature appearance both in public and as Spider-man. I really liked that over the pre-pubescent halfling they're animating now.

It's true Spider-man is a slim guy, but he's definitely not tiny or lanky.

Why don't we discuss the drawing styles we like the most? That's one of my main problems with this new series.

If your interested, we can start a poll?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
This looks like shit, as do all the new animated series they're coming up with these days. Batman, the X-men, now this... All terrible.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Aazealh said:
This looks like shit, as do all the new animated series they're coming up with these days. Batman, the X-men, now this... All terrible.

Just wait until the new Transformers. :ganishka:

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Aazealh said:

bit off topic but have guys seen the small video talking about the 6 short animated batman movies done by madhouse and other good animation company? i don't have the link for now but I'll post soon.

they look pretty good actually compared to the usual crap that warner brother put out on TV

Okin said:
Why don't we discuss the drawing styles we like the most? That's one of my main problems with this new series.

they should have kept Steve McNiven for a while! is drawings were amazing on the first 3 brand new day

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
jackson_hurley said:
bit off topic but have guys seen the small video talking about the 6 short animated batman movies done by madhouse and other good animation company?

Can't say I have.

jackson_hurley said:
bit off topic but have guys seen the small video talking about the 6 short animated batman movies done by madhouse and other good animation company? i don't have the link for now but I'll post soon.
are you referring to this?
http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2008/02/batman_gotham_knights_preview.php

EDIT: Unfortunately, the clip's down on that site. Haha.

EDIT DEUX: GET IT WHILE IT'S HOT!!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
The Perineum Falcon said:
are you referring to this?
http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2008/02/batman_gotham_knights_preview.php

EDIT: Unfortunately, the clip's down on that site. Haha.

EDIT DEUX: GET IT WHILE IT'S HOT!!

Well, that looks cool.

S

smoke

Goddammit.

Animated to be frentic, crude, and kid-safe. Did they get the guys who do the Trix commercials for this shit? A voice actor for the hero of the series who was probably rejected by the Digimon dubbing staff. And an "attitude" that is 'spunky', which is really pretty much code for 'brainless'.

Honestly, this kind of obvious noneffort is an insult to us as consumers. It makes me sick. Sick enough to take an explosively watery shit while simultaneously vomiting bile. Maybe I'll mix them together and take a picture. Would probably look better than this new show.

Aazealh said:

Ain't that no shit. The new Batman cartoon is a joke, but the 90's one with Kevin Conroy was so dark and brilliant, even more true to Batman then the movies they're making now, but aside from that, it looks like the same exact deal with Spiderman. Even the art style is close to that new Batman cartoon. The Spiderman animated series was a lot lighter then Batman, but I still used to watch and enjoy it. I feel sorry for kids now days who are forced to subject themselves to this terrible treatment of cartoons.

Okin

jackson_hurley said:
they look pretty good actually compared to the usual crap that warner brother put out on TV

Now that's what I'm talkin' about! At least there is some hope for our childhood heroes.

I really have a high hopes for Batman: Gotham Knight. The only thing I could ask for is that they pay homage to the red night time sky of Batman: TAS

Top Bottom