Take-Two says: BLOW ME, EA

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/ptech/02/26/electronic.arts.ap/index.html

[quote author=CNN]The company behind the hugely popular video game "Grand Theft Auto" says it is not going to jump at a $2 billion buyout offer from Electronic Arts Inc.[/quote]
Kudos to them for not making the deal with the Satan of video game distributors.

I wouldn't say "Blow me" quite yet, there's no guarantee that T2 won't make a deal with them after GTA IV and seeing how aggressive EA is
http://eatake2.com/ one can only hope EA doesn't win out. At least we still have Vivendi Games and EA doesn't have a fools hope of taking them on now that they are the largest game publishing company.

CnC

Ad Oculos
It's wierd to think of EA as an underdog but they are trying to make up for the fact that they are now smaller than the behemoth that is Acti-blizzard(vivendi).

They're eying Ubisoft now, apparently.

Ramen4ever said:
one can only hope EA doesn't win out. At least we still have Vivendi Games and EA doesn't have a fools hope of taking them on now that they are the largest game publishing company.

Don't be so quick to praise the big guy yet, activision will likely take on the stigma that EA had/has with the eventual milking of the Guitar Hero, Tony Hawk, and Call of Duty franchises. I'll admit that while I didn't like EA's policies back in the "EA Spouse" days I'll be the first to admit they're actually producing some decent games recently. Rock Band, Orange Box, and even C&C 3 are all good.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Ramen4ever said:
I wouldn't say "Blow me" quite yet, there's no guarantee that T2 won't make a deal with them after GTA IV

Yeah, I'm afraid that's exactly what will happen.

Ramen4ever said:
At least we still have Vivendi Games and EA doesn't have a fools hope of taking them on now that they are the largest game publishing company.

Yeah guys, the Frenchies rule the world. :badbone:

CnC

Ad Oculos
Ramen4ever said:
The real question is why would anyone care unless they own stocks within the company?

Well development done to fulfill a quarterly profit can be done to satisfy investors, not necessarily consumers. Creativity is optional. So in that capacity that I don't want to see shitty games based on franchises (Spiderman 3), I care.

CnC said:
So in that capacity that I don't want to see shitty games based on franchises (Spiderman 3), I care.
The studios make the games.. not the publishers. Now if the publisher has a direct say in what the studios create that's a different matter but most studios are smart enough to have clauses in their contracts to give them some freedom. However if the publisher owns the IP.. thats usually when we start seeing crap brought to us on the shelves.

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
I heard there was recently a change in management at EA, which is why stuff like Dead Space is being put into production. Not sure the specifics on this, perhaps someone else is better informed. Still, gives me hope that we'll be seeing games better that the $5 lap dance movie games that EA loves so make.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Ramen4ever said:
The studios make the games.. not the publishers. Now if the publisher has a direct say in what the studios create that's a different matter

Then it's always a different matter.

Vaxillus said:
I heard there was recently a change in management at EA, which is why stuff like Dead Space is being put into production.

Yeah, we talked about it in another thread a while ago. We'll see how it goes, but having a couple giant companies buying all the others can't be good no matter how you look at it anyway.

Top Bottom