DnDead

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
http://wkbt.com/Global/story.asp?S=7963395

MILWAUKEE (AP) - The man who co-created the game Dungeons & Dragons and helped start the role-playing phenomenon is dead.

Gary Gygax (GEYE'-gaks) died this morning at his home in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin, about 55 miles southwest of Milwaukee.

His wife, Gail Gygax, says he had been suffering from health problems for several years, including an abdominal aneurysm.

Gygax and co-creator Dave Arneson developed the role-playing game in 1974 and it went on to become 1 of the best-selling games ever. Dungeons & Dragons is considered the grandfather of fantasy role-playing games and has influenced video games, books, movies and inspired legions of adoring fans.

Gygax' wife says he always enjoyed hearing from the game's devoted fans about how the game influenced their lives.

For those who don't know, this guy was basically the father of RPGs. I'd make a joke about how he missed his last saving throw, but I'm pretty sure everybody else on the Internet has done it already.

Somehow this news makes me feel older.

JetBlack

CASULTY FAN
:judo: This news is so sad. A piece of story that goes away, he rolled a 1 critical saving throw... So sad.

PS. I feel old too...

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Penny Arcade Tribute

20080304kl9.jpg

This is glum news, even though I was never really a huge fan of the game. I did play Warhammer as an adolescent, though, so I did know of Gary from other people who went there... that's all I knew, to be honest, but I'm still saddened.

A real shame.

Okin

The Ultimate Battle Creature
I can't help, but think that this explains why all the kids at my school just started playing. Maybe the guy just got sick of people's inability to figure out what a saving throw does, or how many attacks you can do in one turn.

CnC

Ad Oculos
I only really knew of Gygax from the Futurama episode he was on. Still a shame to hear he passed away but it's good to hear that he lived a full life.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
CnC said:
I only really knew of Gygax from the Futurama episode he was on. Still a shame to hear he passed away but it's good to hear that he lived a full life.

I 100% forgot about that!

Fantastic episode that I am now going to look up and watch it heartily.

Yeah great episode I was making +1 mace jokes for days on DDO after that one(pull it often on that game and its crap,lol). "Here Fry, take my +1 mace" haha. Never played PnP but many of his ideas created a massive amount of MMO's books and other entertainment. We had an "in game" gathering/moment of silence for him last night in my DDO guild. Farewell Gary, he has now passed on to Epic levels.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
I've played video game RPG's for pretty much my whole life, yet only started playing D&D a few years ago. I know its been updated several times, but it's pretty amazing how well D&D stands up against the latest in digital media and has remained a fun past time for a small group of friends. A real testament to Gygax's imagination and achievements.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Too bad about Gygax. He was definitely one of the most influential personalities in what has become a multi-billion dollar genre. I don't think anyone could have forseen how far DnD's influence would spread. Literally every RPG owes homage to him, and I'd even venture to say video games wouldn't be where they are without DnD.

We ran a story on him in our newspaper today as well. Last night, we couldn't help but make jokes about how his abdominal pain had a DoT of 200 hit points per second and his equipment had been broken. :carcus:

When I first saw this thread title though, I thought CnC had died. :judo:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Damn man, if CnC had died you can bet my thread title would have been a lot more formal and about as humorous as a granite block. I'm not so insensitive! :judo:

Top Bottom