The End of Vagabond?

Over/Under: 1 episode of Vagabond in 2011?

• Over

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • Under

Votes: 6 35.3%

• Total voters

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Re: Inoue Confirms End of Vagabond Manga by Year's End

Eluvei said:
We can certainly expect this to be a hell of a year for Vagabond, that's all we can be sure of after that announcement. :badbone:

Yeah, it's definitely got a sense of urgency going forward now. Like I alluded to earlier, I'm already intrigued by the prospect of Inoue picking it up again some day. Looking forward to Vagabond 2 already! :ganishka:

Eluvei said:
Nice! I started loving basketball because of Slam Dunk! Can't wait to read REAL as well...

Yeah, it continues to be ridiculous that I haven't read either, since I already love basketball. Should be a match made in heaven for me.

P.S. So far it's 2-1 in favor of the idea we'll see Vagabond continue in 2011. :SK:

Griffith

Re: Inoue Confirms End of Vagabond Manga by Year's End

:guts:

Thinking more on Inoue's announcement, I wish he'd just take a vacation or ease his schedule before going this route during a time when he's even questioning if he wants to be a mangaka altogether (even he notes there would need to be a change, why not try it now?). It wouldn't exactly be awful if slowed down to, ya know, every other week instead of weekly.

I still feel like there's a lot of unfinished business, even with Ittosai, and there's technically still a lot of yet uncharted stuff to do in relatively little time (stuff that would certainly be done if Inoue was in the same mindset as say, when he worked on volumes 21-25, the thickest five volumes in the series). I even worry how much of Gonnosuke is going to make the cut because of how much is left to do (the Kojiro duel and events surrounding it could, and arguably should, take volumes in itself, not to mention it's chronologically years away), and how relatively little time Inoue's given himself to do it (something's gotta give). Though he could do it, glossing over Gon would seem a bit outrageous given the fact it's a famous historical duel of Musashi's.
Of course, how many times can Musashi lose in some fashion in this series and still be "undefeated?" :ganishka:

As for Kojiro, I don't want that glossed over either, and the only setup he's done so far for the duel would imply that it could almost just about happen any time, like chronologically soon, even though they should both at least be 29. So, either Inoue is going to take a pretty big historical liberty, or better, flash forward, or back depending on your perspective, to it, probably via Matahachi or Musashi in his cave. Really, Inoue can jump in anywhere, he could have them fight at this age, but I think like everyone else, I prefer he take his time and do it long form like the second Kyoto arc (which, not coincidentally, was after a long break when he was fully recharged and he did arguably the series richest work).

While I still think he can wow us ending it in this fashion, and arguably already has with LAST Manga, he's been taking the scenic route for so long, it'd really be a shame for him take a short cut now.

I wasn't reading this story to know the ending, after all. :griffnotevil:

Re: The End of Vagabond? (Inoue Confirms End of Vagabond Manga by Year's End)

Sorry I missed your post here.

Yeah, I agree with you. I'd be glad with just a long break, and after reading your text, it sort of seems like he's saying "let me get this out of my way once and for all", especially after what he said publicly about being a mangaka.

Well, all I can say is that although Slam Dunk's last arc is unarguably the best, he did leave things behind. He introduced characters that were later forgotten, much like what would happen to Gonnosuke if he takes a short cut and end it abruptly. But what you said about the last fight taking volumes in itself is something I hadn't thought about, and I'd say it's likely to happen, unless he decides to do something different like making it a two-page fight or something. Now I officially doubt he'll end it all in 2010. I think.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Eluvei said:
He introduced characters that were later forgotten, much like what would happen to Gonnosuke if he takes a short cut and end it abruptly.
But, how do we know this is a "short cut" and not what Inoue had planned all along though?

Griffith

It doesn't really matter as long as it's good, and I'm sure it will be, but as we've discussed, from what I've seen and heard of Inoue, he seems to like to go with the flow. While I could be wrong about that, you can undeniably see the difference in the length and detail of his work (but not necessarily the quality), both artistically and story wise, when he's starting fresh or when he's long overworked on something and maybe burning out. Also, in general, I'm not a big believer in "the big plan" (see Star Wars, The Matrix, The Dark Tower, Lost, etc). It's usually a bullshit sell or wishful thinking to excuse or otherwise make something seem right, "because it's all part of THE PLAN." Anyway, we'll see what happens, maybe this is all for the best or simply how it has to be for Inoue to end it effectively his way, but in any case, I'd feel a lot better about it if he was announcing some major time off first instead.

Here it is, everyone.

2010 is Real's 10th Anniversary and its 10th volume. Vagabond is hitting
its 12th Anniversary, and it will probably be its last year... It should
be. It will be. The Chinese zodiac has come full circle (it's been a
long time), which is a good place to stop.
The manga exhibit that
started in Ueno in 2008, which is now showing the "Osaka Chapter", will
have it's "Sendai Chapter" in May. And that's a good stopping point.

He seems pretty certain.

Griffith

I'm actually a bit more optimistic about it, since it's not really an official announcement at all (and he hedges between probably, should be, and would be all at once =). Not that he won't finish it this year or soon after, but this makes it sound much more like a continuing natural process he's going to follow, like he intends to finish it, but with that in mind, he's still going to see where it takes him and to that end won't force anything. Or, in basketball vernacular, he'll still let the game come to him.

On that note, with the Viz translation of 31, it's more clear than before that Inoue is working towards an end, having mostly resolved Matahachi's conflict and perhaps turning him into the instrument of the series' end (I always knew he'd be the end of Vagabond =). Also, a funny thing, Inoue is very much commenting on the general audience with Matahachi's listeners, "Enough about YOU, what happened to Musashi!?" :ganishka:

Can anyone help me decipher what he said on the latest Inoue News?

Vagabond completed later this year - last time I wrote here and Innovation (who, were surprised by something like yahoo news had become), but it is also where I say so is not visible (oy) , such voices of readers who take the moral support and to draw the story to promote this end. (Told you I should end now too late).

It has something to do with Vagabond's end. Oh my!

グリフィス said:
"Enough about YOU, what happened to Musashi!?"

Haha, nice!

Griffith

Hmmm, we won't know until it's officially translated, but I think he might be expressing some dismay on the story being picked up and widely reported like an official announcement, as well as commenting on the passion of his fans for Vagabond.
It'll probably end up being something completely different. :SK:

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
I'm really hoping for a chapter this year! I've re-read the entire story and i took my time with it this time.. i just finished and i noticed in the last few chapters the art style(quality) was diminishing. I'm sure it had something to do with his diminishing health or his lack of will to draw as he stated in his interview with the One Piece creator. I explored the Internet for the last couple of hours just looking at historical facts(or folklore) and also bumping into the interview and finally into the LAST exhibition which led me back here to the Vagabond Inn. I've read some of the older posts from 2008-2010. It was definitely really neat seeing the END of Vagabond. I dont mind spoilers, I thought it was just too awesome seeing the great artwork Inoue displayed during his art exhibition, and also the small tidbits of the possible conclusion of Vagabond put the cherry on top of my fun Vagabond related internet exploration. :serpico:

This thread was just too much fun http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?action=post;topic=8901.25;num_replies=34

P.S. I Listened mainly to the Samurai Champloo OST's (or Nujabes) while reading Vagabond and I think they are a match made in heaven. :)

Don't revive ancient threads. Find more suitable, recent threads.
Is there any info on continuation? I can't find anything, it's like this manga will never see new chapters ...

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Is there any info on continuation? I can't find anything, it's like this manga will never see new chapters ...
No. And please stop reviving 8 year old threads. There are plenty of other, more recent threads with this kind of discussion in them if you just look around a little.

Top Bottom