Episode 294

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Baldulf said:
It's a chance of course,but I don't think the Bakiraka (as a group) could stand against an enemy who is not human.A single apostle would be able to exterminate most of them.

I don't know about that. Not all apostles are Zodd, and they don't have to fight fairly against them either. They're good at assassination, remember. Besides, they could be useful as scouts and such. I don't see them fighting apostles frontally on a battlefield in any case.

Black_Devil

Punos Rey
^Agree there, There's been apostles killed by humans other than Guts before (the hawks took down some of them before they were killed). It would make for an interesting dynamic if Silat and the Bakiraka had an alliance (even if it was just for convenience) with Guts, seeing as how Rakshas is allied with Griffith (Though is he really serving him? forgive me if I remember wrong, but doesn't he want Griff's head?). Speaking of him, I would've expected Rakshas to have been the one in league with Jaris before I would've expected Silat showing up, which was a pleasant surprise :ganishka:.

In the end though, it should still come down to Guts and his group conflicting with the Big 5 of the neo-hawks right? It'd be unrealistic like Aaz pointed out in a thread to think of Guts going into a direct collision with the entire Neo Hawk army, even if he gained potential allies like the Bakiraka.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Black_Devil said:
There's been apostles killed by humans other than Guts before (the hawks took down some of them before they were killed).

A few apostles were wounded, but the only one that apparently died was killed by Casca after Judo had blinded him.

Black_Devil said:
Rakshas is allied with Griffith (Though is he really serving him? forgive me if I remember wrong, but doesn't he want Griff's head?).

His cryptic comment leaves room for speculation as to what his intentions really are, but so far he's been serving Griffith just like all the other apostles.

Black_Devil said:
In the end though, it should still come down to Guts and his group conflicting with the Big 5 of the neo-hawks right?

Who knows? Maybe it won't even be all of them, or maybe it'll be all of them and more. It's hard to guess.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
CnC said:
After reading the translation, my respect for Silat has jumped up 300%.   :guts:

Same here.  Like Aazealh, I really hope that an alliance forms between the Bakiraka and Guts one day.  They'd be an extremely valuable resource to have, and Guts can use all the help he can get. :guts:

CnC

Ad Oculos
Aazealh said:
Pfff, you guys just underestimated him all along!

aw shaddup, mr. knowitall. :troll:

I really liked the development Silat's gone through over the years, tho. That and we get some real back-story about the Bakiraka.

I think I need to clarify something...

Was this Bakiraka tribe the very same assasin group that the Midland king summoned to hunt Griffith down back in volume 10?

yota821 said:
^Did you read the translation?

I did and that is why I want to clarify... The translation in my chinese manga uses different names for the assassin group in vol 10 and Silat's tribe.

Aazealh said:
A few apostles were wounded, but the only one that apparently died was killed by Casca after Judo had blinded him.

That was a very very low level apostle, I doubt its even anywhere tougher than apostle spawn

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Smith said:
I think I need to clarify something...

Was this Bakiraka tribe the very same assasin group that the midland king summoned to hunt Griffith down back in volume 10?

Yup, they're from the same tribe.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Smith said:
I did and that is why I want to clarify... The translation in my chinese manga uses different names for the assassin group in vol 10 and Silat's tribe.

Well, the translation in your Chinese manga sucks.

Smith said:
That was a very very low level apostle, I doubt its even anywhere tougher than apostle spawn

You're not one to judge the "levels" of apostles as if it were that precise. And everybody already knows that it wasn't a powerhouse, you don't have to point this out.

Aazealh said:
Yeah it doesn't have SK either. Or Zodd. Very smart remark here. "Are they on the island yet? :judo:"

Screw the Island, I want more of the boat!!!11 :ganishka:
I can't believe people made such a big deal about that in the first place.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Ramen4ever said:
Screw the Island, I want more of the boat!!!11 :ganishka:
I can't believe people made such a big deal about that in the first place.

Once they get to the island everyone is going to just complain about wanting to be back on the boat? "What the hell more trolls? :isidro:"

It's inevitable, we just need to ban everyone.

Draulix

FOOOD!!
Is it me or does anyone else feel that something is a bit strange here?
First of all, I'm not here to accuse or disrespect anyone so I do not want to be miss understood.
Anyone else feel like the Translation group Evil Genius is exceptionally early with their version of Episode 294?

Most of you I'm sure are familiar with their works and are all knowledgeable with Berserk stuff in general. Evil Genius is undoubtedly one of them. It took them more then a week to put out Episode 293 which was very minimal in conversations. I'm sure to put out their Quality work is no doubt more time consuming then me just posting on a forum were all can just read and correspond the lines with the pages. I mean they go to get the raw first which no doubt they get it from SK.net but they have to translate it, edit it, clear the text bubbles, add the new English text, polish it etc. Other factors that fall in to place such as the priority of the people who are doing all the work in order to put out the 21 page .rar file out asap but it seems like they just copied the translation off here.

I don't intend to take all the credit for my translation as to other do help me out weather it be my friends or the admins or fans from SK.net, but I was wondering how if any folks from SK.net feel of the works that translators such as I put out vs the ones of Evil Genius?

I'd like to point out that they do a good work of translations but it seems the readers or rather will say the non Japanese readers are getting shorted cause they seem to infuse a lot of "popular" English in the translations, and by that I mean its the language you would expect while talking to some one on the street in the modern day world. This could very well be my very own opinion but it seems to me, the text and dialogue that Miura puts out is very hard to understand sometimes even for a normal average Japanese person so to speak. Some of this stuff, you wouldn't figure out what he is trying to say without some times using a dictionary or just second guessing from the text or scenery of the manga. In that sense what would readers come to expect is better comparing a more Direct and literal translation..."as Close as I can get it to be" vs someone infusing popular wording to get the same message across?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
It wouldn't be the first time they've taken translations from others, but in the past year I'd say they've generally cleaned up their act. That being said, The Hawks were always the more notorious for that activity.

Draulix said:
Is it me or does anyone else feel that something is a bit strange here?
First of all, I'm not here to accuse or disrespect anyone so I do not want to be miss understood.
Anyone else feel like the Translation group Evil Genius is exceptionally early with their version of Episode 294?

I don't think it's exceptionally early, especially since their previous translation was late (apparently their translator was ill), they propably wanted to make up for that delay.

As for the translation, I did notice it was rather similar to yours, it doesn't necessarily imply anything besides both of you having translated the episode well though. Of course, if you made some mistakes and they seem to be replicating them, there's more reason to be suspicious...

Draulix said:
In that sense what would readers come to expect is better comparing a more Direct and literal translation..."as Close as I can get it to be" vs someone infusing popular wording to get the same message across?

I'd rather have the direct translation and judge what's going on by myself than someone else's view of whatever point he thinks the author is trying to make, thank you very much. =)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Draulix said:
Most of you I'm sure are familiar with their works and are all knowledgeable with Berserk stuff in general. Evil Genius is undoubtedly one of them.

On the contrary, I sure hope that most of the people here are not familiar with their work. Whether that's true or not is another thing altogether. You're new here so you might not know it, but we at SK.net do not approve of scanlations due to our ethics, and do not like scanlators much in general due to their history of stealing material from here and using it for things we disapprove of. We encourage people to purchase the volumes of Berserk as they come out in Japan, and while our translations are meant to allow the fans to follow the series as it is released episodically, their higher purpose is to be used for reading the Japanese volumes. Scanlations just replace the volumes altogether and a vast (practically complete, really) majority of their target does not and will never buy the manga, never supporting and rewarding the author for his work. A simple search on the forum should be able to inform you of how profoundly we feel about this. It's also partly in the rules, so go ahead and read them carefully if you haven't already done so.

http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=5626.0
http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=2626.0

I personally don't know about what goes on in other places that follow Berserk and I don't intend to change that fact, mostly because they're not up to my standards. However, material published on our website has been stolen and reused against our will, with or without credit, ever since SK.net has been online. Virtually every other website on the Internet takes material from here. EG used our translations without authorization for years before finally "recruiting" a translator, and then again that was due to some particular events that forced their hand. Since then they've apparently been coming up with their own stuff, but as always a reasonable doubt subsists. Could their translator be using our own translations as a basis for his whenever possible? Certainly. As it been suspected before? Certainly. Can it be easily proven and can we do something about it? Well, not really. If you can find definite proof, it'll be most appreciated. However, even if it was true, their translator would deny it, they would call us liars, and they'd keep doing it. That's how the Internet works: people steal stuff and boast about it or act indignant when they're called on it.

Draulix said:
I'm sure to put out their Quality work is no doubt more time consuming then me just posting on a forum were all can just read and correspond the lines with the pages.

I don't really agree. It's more time consuming, but not necessarily much more. And you don't need to be elogious in the least here.

Draulix said:
I don't intend to take all the credit for my translation as to other do help me out weather it be my friends or the admins or fans from SK.net, but I was wondering how if any folks from SK.net feel of the works that translators such as I put out vs the ones of Evil Genius?

Like I said earlier, this question was most likely spawned by your ignorance of our site's history. If the rest of my post doesn't tell you enough about it, feel free to send me a Private Message and I'll give you a very long history of events explaining why we don't support scanlations and scanlators and want nothing to do with them. Not to mention that our various communities (as there are plenty of scanlators and other websites that use material from SK.net without our consent) aren't always very friendly toward one another. Simply put, your work is the only kind we accept and respect here. And it's been so for a long time (Internet-wise).

It is natural that you are credited for your translation, and do not doubt that everyone at SK.net is very thankful for your efforts in quickly translating the episodes. Even when corrections are applied by various other parties, it is always in the spirit of the general good, and always with consideration to the original translator. It's always a lot easier to correct a work than it is to actually come up with it. This is something that we never lose sight of. We work in a collaborative and evolutive manner and we do it for the sheer love of Berserk, not for Internet popularity but so that a reliable source of knowledge exists for this manga we are fans of.

Draulix said:
This could very well be my very own opinion but it seems to me, the text and dialogue that Miura puts out is very hard to understand sometimes even for a normal average Japanese person so to speak.

It's not just you. Some Japanese readers in fact often complain that Miura uses too complicated words and expressions. It's part of what makes Berserk the quality work it is.

As for the question on authenticity and faithfulness versus ghetto speak to cater to the cesspool that composes the target of scanlations in general, obviously you needn't ask. A translation shouldn't be literal, but it should always be as close to the original as possible while properly adapted in the target language. It's always been our policy here at SK.net and I don't think that will change.

Now that this has been said, let me point out that we've had many discussions on this subject in the past, and that our positions are rather firm in that regard. None of what I said about our policies is open to debate. Anyhow, I don't think it's really appropriate to talk about this in here, considering those threads are devoted to discussing and commenting on the episodes themselves and their place in the story. In fact I'd rather move it to its own thread or remove it altogether.

eerojv said:
As for the translation, I did notice it was rather similar to yours, it doesn't necessarily imply anything besides both of you having translated the episode well though. Of course, if you made some mistakes and they seem to be replicating them, there's more reason to be suspicious...

I cannot speak about specific instances, but in general, when the different wording of different translators is continuously replicated by a single other person over the course of more than a year, it does seem suspicious.

Draulix

FOOOD!!
It was a very informative post and no doubt, I'm more informed on how SK feels about scanlators and I have to agree that I myself do not like the works of scanlators in general as they try to impose "their" translations so to speak or the quality in which it is degrading to the author because it takes away from what authors are trying to get to the readers. I feel the "Love" that we all share simply for the love of Berserk here.

But gettin back on topic, no doubt this episode was very refreshing being able to see Silat speak, and get more back story to the Bakiraka clan and a glimpse of what is to come.

Okin

The Ultimate Battle Creature
I think its helps us understand Miura's work better if we take part in and witness the translation from literal to figurative. It at least helps us appreciate Miura's wordplay.

this episode was very refreshing being able to see Silat speak

It sure was.

Not only Silat was able to survive twice in a fight against Guts but also was clever enough for not trying a third time.And now he is the only one who thinks that Griffith could be even worse than Ganishka (apart from those who know his Femto side)

Silat's coolness is officially over the chart.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
By the way guys, I didn't post about it before, but Miura has stated that the part of the story focusing on the Kushans would soon be over. Of course this is nothing too new, but it confirms that Ganishka's fall will put a definitive end to the Kushan invasion.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Aazealh said:
By the way guys, I didn't post about it before, but Miura has stated that the part of the story focusing on the Kushans would soon be over. Of course this is nothing too new, but it confirms that Ganishka's fall will put a definitive end to the Kushan invasion.

Guess that means the final confrontation between Griffith and Ganishka is going to be resolved before we head back to Guts and company.  I'm really looking forward to it.  I can't wait to see what Griffith can do, not to mention what Ganishka looks like.  I wonder if he'll continue to rely on his magical abilities, and if so, how his new form augments them.

Top Bottom