Japanese Bug Fights

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Haha yeah, they really like this kind of stuff. There are videogames about this that sell like hotcakes in Japan. Anyway, those videos are funny for a while but they get old fast as far as I'm concerned. It was more funny when I was 8 years old and doing it myself. :void:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Vaxillus said:
First Pokemon, now this. Next thing you know they'll be broadcasting dogfights on TV. :schierke:

Yes, because Pokemon predates bug fights. Riiiight. Cock fights are also still popular in many parts of the world, you know. Bug fights are cool with me.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Peregrine_Falcon said:
If dog fighting is illegal and can get you six years in prison, how come bug fighting is not?

Yeah man, and we should start putting all those 3 years old bug slayers behind bars too! They're running rampant!

Okin

The Ultimate Battle Creature
I love how excited the announcer sounds.This is pretty slow compared to watching a giant centipede or a bullfrog eat a mouse. You can get a bunch of those off youtube, and they're way more graphic. Aaz is right about it getting boring quickly though.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Peregrine_Falcon said:
Both should be legal or both should be illegal.

Hahaha, are you actually serious about this? Bugs and mammals can't really be compared. Bugs barely have any consciousness, have a very small natural life expectancy, and probably can't even feel pain. One could even argue that they aren't forced or bred to fight like dogs are, they're just put in the same place and they start fighting by themselves.

Aazealh said:
Hahaha, are you actually serious about this? Bugs and mammals can't really be compared. Bugs barely have any consciousness, have a very small natural life expectancy, and probably can't even feel pain. One could even argue that they aren't forced or bred to fight like dogs are, they're just put in the same place and they start fighting by themselves.

Do you have any sources that back up these claims and theories?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Peregrine_Falcon said:
Do you have any sources that back up these claims and theories?

Why should I bother providing any source to you? Can't you back up your own ridiculous claims, or I don't know, maybe do a little research on your own and see the evidence? Do you want to discuss the biology of insects as compared to that of mammals? I mean, you're nice and all, but you haven't even provided an argument for what you say here. I thought you were joking at first.

EDIT: To clarify my point to you, I would easily agree that it's not devoid of cruelty as a form of entertainment, and that it's mostly puerile in nature, but keep in mind it's first and foremost a kid's game. I just find the comparison to dog fights completely disproportionate. It's just not the same level at all. Moreover, the people who indulge in these fights with any seriousness are peasants that use beetles who would otherwise ravage their crops. You sound like you just don't get the context at all.

I'm currently looking for articles related to cerebral ganglion/insect consciousness/insect brains. If I find an article that supports the claim that insects do in fact have little to no consciousness and/or feel no pain, I'll retract what I said earlier about these sorts of fights.

Let me clarify: I am not against people killing insects for the sake of clearing out swarms in their houses, protecting their crops, making food, making medicine, or scientific research. I also recognize that many accidental killings happen.

I am against deliberate and sadistic torture.

Consciousness or no consciousness, I still find forced bug fighting to be a grotesque and tasteless act. It's strange that some of you take pleasure in mutilating insects or watching others mutilating insects.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Peregrine_Falcon said:
Consciousness or no consciousness, I still find forced bug fighting to be a grotesque and tasteless act. It's strange that some of you take pleasure in mutilating insects or watching others mutilating insects.

Well then again, how do you force an insect to do anything? It can't be tamed or even really influenced outside of the most basic stimuli. Is it tasteless? Yeah, probably. Is it a big deal? Not to me. It's not like it's even widely spread or anything.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Aazealh said:
Well then again, how do you force an insect to do anything?

The only way I see to "force" them is to put them in the same place and waiting for them to interact. wich isnt really forcing them as training them to fight

Top Bottom