Hi everyone! Read Vinland Saga!

Long time lurker, first time poster. Actually I just joined because...unless I missed something (highly possible)...I noticed nobody mentioned the manga Vinland Saga. I know you're all reading it. You MUST be. If not you damed well should be.
Anyway, about me now. Been a Berserk fan for 4 years, for as long as I've been into anime. Also a huge Hellsing and Vagabond fan.
Can't say I expect to be posting much, but I'll at least check back here. This is *far* from the only board I post on, also a definite member of the anon.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Hi everyone

Hi Sal, welcome to SK.net!

Sal said:
Long time lurker, first time poster. Actually I just joined because...unless I missed something (highly possible)...I noticed nobody mentioned the manga Vinland Saga. I know you're all reading it. You MUST be. If not you damed well should be.

Never heard of it.

That's crazy. Every Berserk fan should be a Vinland Saga fan. It's required reading, like Vagabond. It's about Vikings. It's violent and intelligent enough to be considered seinen, although there's no sex or rape (only implied). It shares some storyline similarities to Berserk in that they are both about some one attempting revenge, and both have a flashback arc, and both have a bishounen King character. Plus, both are very, very GAR (manly, macho, etc.) Both are also medieval in setting, although VS doesn't have fantasy elements. I supose it's not as original as Berserk, but it's damed well done.
VS has only been around for 2 years and has 40 chapter, coming out monthly. It's actually fast becoming a very popular manga.
Have some pages. It's not licensed in America so just send me a message if you want to know how to get it. I was tempted to make a thread specifically about VS but I wasn't sure...maybe I'll change the thread title.

Battle
Thorkell=fuckwin
HORSE PUNCHTM

You get the idea. Also, I didn't make this, but it's proof I'm not the only one...

berserkvsip1.jpg

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Hi Sal, welcome! And wow, this Vinland Saga looks like something worth checking out. Thanks for the recommendation.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Looks interesting. I might check it out one day when I've got more free time on my hands. Right now Berserk is keeping me pretty busy. :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Sal said:
That's crazy. Every Berserk fan should be a Vinland Saga fan. It's required reading, like Vagabond. It's about Vikings. It's violent and intelligent enough to be considered seinen, although there's no sex or rape (only implied). It shares some storyline similarities to Berserk in that they are both about some one attempting revenge, and both have a flashback arc, and both have a bishounen King character. Plus, both are very, very GAR (manly, macho, etc.) Both are also medieval in setting, although VS doesn't have fantasy elements. I supose it's not as original as Berserk, but it's damed well done.

Well, I read a bit on it after your post so I know that it's about vikings and such. However, I don't want to come off as untactful but your description wasn't very effective in sparking my interest. I mean, no rapes? Why would I waste my time with anything that doesn't have rapes?! :schierke:

It's just that vague similarities to Berserk or the amount of violence displayed aren't likely to convince me to read something. But anyway, I'll give it a shot if I get the occasion, so thanks for the recommendation. :)

Sal said:
I'd post a link to where you could get scans but I don't know if that's allowed.

It isn't allowed.

LOL yeah, I guess I should actually say what it's about. I admit I wasn't easily convinced to read it either, only after hearing people rave about it over and over was I convinced, but I'm very glad I did. I hoped the page scans would speak for themselves, plus the fact that every single VS fan I've met is also a Berserk fan, like with Vagabond.
Oh, and honestly the first chapter of the manga isn't really the best one. I thought it was really over-the-top, although some people like that. Give it more than that.

So...
It's about a boy named Thorfinn whose father was a great Viking warrior named Thor. Thor was killed in an unfair fight against another warrior named Askeladd. Therefore, the kid (who was very young at the time) wants revenge, but he's certainly not strong enough yet. So in order to learn to be a warrior he stays with Askeladd and even works for him, but his reward being that he could duel with him anytime he asks. Askeladd teaches him to be a very impressive warrior and knows that someday the kid will beat him, but he doesn't really care because he's useful to him now. Askeladd is a very strategic, intelligent warrior, even if not always an honorable one.
Askeladd wants to gain more power, so he takes the lead in the Danish invasion of England. One warrior, named Thorkell, who was a Viking, is fighting for the English just for the hell of it. He's pretty damed amusing like that. It seems he knew Thor once as well, and has a lot of interest in Thorfinn, but since they are on opposite sides him and Thorfinn end up dueling a lot.
And lastly, the prince Canute gets involved, whose this very wimpy, feminine leader who really doesn't belong in this at all, but don't worry he changes a lot.

tl;dr kid wants revenge against his boss, fights in Danish Vikings invasion against awesome warriors. Boss tries to gain power in England. Only 40 chapters so far, who knows what it'll lead to.

Another thing. Both Thorkell the Tall and Canute the Great were real historical figures and this manga involves them somewhat accurately. And really, the reason you should read it is because the writing is great, the characters are highly well-developed, and the art is beautiful. It's also very amusing and not always too serious, it's not dark or tragic, and it's not preachy or cliche either. It's very easy to follow the politics even if you don't know shit about Vikings (I sure as hell don't) and even if you don't particularly care about them either. But it's still an intelligent story about adult human characters that you won't help but love.
I thought it was going to be just a bunch of macho men running around slicing things up, but hell that's what I thought Berserk was until I read it too. Imagine trying to explain what Berserk is about and why it's awesome! Now you know why it's hard for me to describe VS in less than 200 sentences.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler

Aazealh said:
I mean, no rapes? Why would I waste my time with anything that doesn't have rapes?!

Seriously. I mean, isn't that what Berserk is all about? Speaking of which, we haven't seen any in a while. Miura must be getting lazy. :beast:

Rapes not good enough, it's gotta have tentacles or other strange appendages. Monster rape or I'm not reading it. :schierke:

P.s. I actually almost stopped reading Berserk because of the troll scene.
Oh and Welcome to the Forums. :serpico:

A

avidwriter

Well I gave into curiosity and looked into Vinland saga. However I don't see where to buy it. Is it even licensed in America yet? How many Mangas are out? From what I can see from fan stuff seems only 4.

EDIT : Scratch that. 5 are out in Japan and from what I see nothing in America. Which sucks as it looks pretty good so far.

o rly? So what's a better image host? I try another one for my av, although it's what I've used for all the pages so far. Never been slow for me.
Is it funny or too stupid? I think it's awesome.

No, it's not licensed in America........ I forgot people still care about that........anyhow so if anyone wants to know how to get it just send me a private message. Also, current volume is volume 6, chapter 41, but no new chapter until April.

I started reading Vinland Saga about a month ago, and it's really very good.
If there's really only about 40 chapters then I've already read about half of it.
I'm also interested in whether or not it is licensed in America. I haven't seen anything about it, though.

Like I said, it's not, and I'd be pretty surprised if it ever was. It's not the kind of manga publishers pick up these days. They've had 2 years to do it already.

Sal said:
Like I said, it's not, and I'd be pretty surprised if it ever was. It's not the kind of manga publishers pick up these days. They've had 2 years to do it already.
Really? Too gory or profain or something? Or is it just too historical? >:(

Sal said:
Too historical. And seinen in general isn't the most popular thing, these days it's mostly shonen and shojo.
I mean if fucking the fucking Monster anime hasn't even gotten licensed yet than this doesn't stand a chance. I know it's very different, but it's one of the best animes ever made and very popular.
Hmm. It's a shame, it seems to me like the best manga is seinen, and that shonen manga is generally just "good".

that hurt my sides. :(

Top Bottom