Berserk Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

slayer81

Legendary pimp, slayer of evils
Ok guys, I am not sure whether this has been covered previously or not, but my friends and I are going by what volumes have been released in the U.S. thus far. I've noticed a pic of Guts in the Berserk armor, with a skull helmet... Where does this come into play? The only pics I have seen, other than that particular one is with the helmet that looks like the Beast...

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k294/coolerimmortal/Berserkv26c225p200copy.jpg

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
slayer81 said:
Ok guys, I am not sure whether this has been covered previously or not, but my friends and I are going by what volumes have been released in the U.S. thus far. I've noticed a pic of Guts in the Berserk armor, with a skull helmet... Where does this come into play? The only pics I have seen, other than that particular one is with the helmet that looks like the Beast...

This occurs in volume 26. When Guts finds and first wears the armor, it features a skull-shaped helmet. Shortly after, the helmet changes and takes on the shape of the Beast of Darkness, as the armor adapts itself to its new owner.

slayer81

Legendary pimp, slayer of evils
Ah, I see! That is cool. So it was initially a skull because it was previously worn by SK? Thanks much, my friends and I were all scratching our heads, trying to figure out why it was different. Like I said, we are all only on Vol. 22

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
slayer81 said:
Ah, I see! That is cool. So it was initially a skull because it was previously worn by SK?

Yes, from what he says he wore it at some point, a long time ago.

What did Zodd mean when he said something about seeing his age old Nemesis right after seeing Guts in his Berserker Armor? I thought he might've been referring to someone other than Skull Knight. Also, why does the armor take the shape of the wolf like creature? Would it change depending on the characteristics of the person wearing the suit? Silly questions from silly me :p

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
IncantatioN said:
What did Zodd mean when he said something about seeing his age old Nemesis right after seeing Guts in his Berserker Armor? I thought he might've been referring to someone other than Skull Knight. Also, why does the armor take the shape of the wolf like creature? Would it change depending on the characteristics of the person wearing the suit? Silly questions from silly me :p
The only time I've really seen guts interact with dogs (that I can recall) is when he fights for his life against a pack of wolves as a kid. If someone could enlighten me as to the origin of the beast of darkness and reasoning, that would be Grrrrr-eat!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
IncantatioN said:
What did Zodd mean when he said something about seeing his age old Nemesis right after seeing Guts in his Berserker Armor? I thought he might've been referring to someone other than Skull Knight.

He is referring to the Skull Knight, and "nemesis" does not take a capital letter in this case. Zodd simply calls him his sworn enemy (but actually pronounces it "tomo", which means "friend"). Please make sure you use correct translations for reference, otherwise you're going to be confused about a lot of things.

IncantatioN said:
Also, why does the armor take the shape of the wolf like creature? Would it change depending on the characteristics of the person wearing the suit? Silly questions from silly me :p

It's called the Beast of Darkness. It's a personification of Guts' darker emotions. And yes, the armor does change depending on the person wearing it (like I said in the first reply to this thread, 3 posts above yours). We actually see it change right after Guts dons it for the first time, remember?

Truder said:
The only time I've really seen guts interact with dogs (that I can recall) is when he fights for his life against a pack of wolves as a kid. If someone could enlighten me as to the origin of the beast of darkness and reasoning, that would be Grrrrr-eat!

The Beast of Darkness first appears in volume 16, episode 118. Spectres take its form to torment Guts. So far there has been no hint at a specific event in Guts' past having played a role in its visual aspect.

...Although, maybe...

GambinoBeast.jpg

He inherited it from his father?! :void:

Aazealh said:
He is referring to the Skull Knight, and "nemesis" does not take a capital letter in this case. Zodd simply calls him his sworn enemy (but actually pronounces it "tomo", which means "friend"). Please make sure you use correct translations for reference, otherwise you're going to be confused about a lot of things.
What would you recommend a proper translation to be, the Dark Horse releases? I checked the manga scans I had for that panel, it's basically the same translation. But, I'm having a hard time believing Zodd was referring to SK when he saw the suit.

To me, it looked like he was referring to the armor itself, but probably recognizing it, and reminiscing by calling to it or speaking out loud, so to speak.

Aazealh said:
It's called the Beast of Darkness. It's a personification of Guts' darker emotions. And yes, the armor does change depending on the person wearing it (like I said in the first reply to this thread, 3 posts above yours). We actually see it change right after Guts dons it for the first time, remember?

The Beast of Darkness first appears in volume 16, episode 118. Spectres take its form to torment Guts. So far there has been no hint at a specific event in Guts' past having played a role in its visual aspect.

...Although, maybe...

GambinoBeast.jpg

He inherited it from his father?! :void:
That picture looks sort of funny, if you focus on the animal, looks like a calf's head rather wolf's! I think the art's a bit confusing or weird there.

Once the armor's is worn, can Guts take it off? I'm trying to remember when the last time was that he took it off, if he did.

Oburi

All praise Grail
IncantatioN said:
What would you recommend a proper translation to be, the Dark Horse releases? I checked the manga scans I had for that panel, it's basically the same translation. But, I'm having a hard time believing Zodd was referring to SK when he saw the suit.

Dude, you should absolutely take Dark Horse translations over any scanlations, no question. And in the Dark Horse version Zodd calls Skullknight "old rival" and he was talking to him when he saw the armor. I don't know what you're confused about?

IncantatioN said:
To me, it looked like he was referring to the armor itself, but probably recognizing it, and reminiscing by calling to it or speaking out loud, so to speak.
Zodd saw the armor, turned to Skullknight, and said something like "Ahh the memories, my dear old rival. So you would have him follow you down that same path into hell"?

IncantatioN said:
That picture looks sort of funny, if you focus on the animal, looks like a calf's head rather wolf's! I think the art's a bit confusing or weird there.
Looks like a dog to me.

IncantatioN said:
Once the armor's is worn, can Guts take it off? I'm trying to remember when the last time was that he took it off, if he did.

The very next time we see Guts after he gets the Berserk armor Schierke specifically mentions how they a hard time getting it off. We also see Guts without the armor several times on the ship in volumes 33 and 34. The scene where he dives into the ocean after Casca, for example. How far are you in the manga?

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
IncantatioN said:
What would you recommend a proper translation to be, the Dark Horse releases? I checked the manga scans I had for that panel, it's basically the same translation.

Do you own the Dark Horse releases in addition to keeping scans? I sincerely hope so, since it's a requirement of this site that you purchase the manga as it's released.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
IncantatioN said:
What would you recommend a proper translation to be, the Dark Horse releases?

Skullknight.net's translations. If you can't check them right away, then Dark Horse's releases.

IncantatioN said:
But, I'm having a hard time believing Zodd was referring to SK when he saw the suit.

Then you're not understanding the scene correctly. He's definitely referring to the Skull Knight, who had worn that armor at some point in the distant past (like I'd told slayer81 in the last post of the thread before your revival).

IncantatioN said:

Uh... It's a dog. It looks like a dog.

IncantatioN said:

See Oburi's post. He can take it off and he did more than once. In fact he wasn't wearing it until recently (episode 309).

Cool beans, thanks for clearing that up Oburi and Aazealh. I've read the manga in one sitting just once last year, other times it's been in bursts or whenever I was in the mood, so I've not been able to retain every specific of the story properly, but I'll get there soon, hopefully :farnese:. There's just a lot to read and watch *shakes his head*. I'm current with the manga up till 312. I haven't used SK.net's translations before since I just hopped on board.

Rhombaad said:
Do you own the Dark Horse releases in addition to keeping scans? I sincerely hope so, since it's a requirement of this site that you purchase the manga as it's released.
The scans I have were something I picked up a year or two years ago in bulk. I could later afford to own the Dark House volumes and began ordering them slowly. I currently own Volumes 1 through 31 on Dark Horse, and have pre-booked 32 + 33 online on Kinokuniya's site.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
IncantatioN said:
The scans I have were something I picked up a year or two years ago in bulk. I could later afford to own the Dark House volumes and began ordering them slowly. I currently own Volumes 1 through 31 on Dark Horse, and have pre-booked 32 + 33 online on Kinokuniya's site.

Nice! Glad to hear you're supporting Miura. :guts:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom