Guts' hair

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum here, so let me just say I've heard so much about the anime/manga called Berserk. When I watched the first episode I was hooked because the dark atmosphere was a refreshing change and a (anti)hero who wasn't afraid to spill some blood was so cool (In your face Vash! In your face Kenshin!). The anime had a really gripping story with lots of well developed characters and I was really pissed off with the ending of the anime (leaving it hanging at one of the most crucial moments). So I started reading the manga now where the anime picked off. Anyway I've got 1 question that I don't think I've seen anywhere on the forum and I don't think the manga explained it very well. After Guts gets the berserk armour he gots a small tuft of white hair, how did he get that?? Once agan if this topic was mentioned somewhere on the forum I apologize.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Z0R0 said:
So I started reading the manga now where the anime picked off.

That was your first mistake.

Go back and read the first 13 volumes, which Dark Horse has released, then anything after that. Then we'll talk turkey. It won't answer your trivial hair question, but I'm REALLY doing you a favour here. If you can't be arsed, then I'll tell you it happens when that character not in the anime uses means to bring about enormous amounts of stress onto Guts. That's all I'm saying, because you wouldn't learn your lesson if I spoiled it.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Well, it's not like it's a huge spoiler or anything, and he claims to have read up to the point Guts gets it. So, it's in Volume 27, after Guts emerges from the Berserk Armor after having given in to the Beast. Whether it was because Schierke had to astrally drag his ass out of the trance, or his strong desire to protect Casca, the event was so wrenching for Guts, it left a permanent mark in his hair.

I will also concur that you should read the whole manga. Otherwise you're missing a lot of content. Volumes 5-8 are the most intact to their anime counterparts with out anything major taken out but every other volume from 1-13 has 15-20, 100+ or even 220+ pages that are very pivotal that never made it into the anime.

Forest Wraith

Evil is born when we lose power over ourselves.
Walter said:
Well, it's not like it's a huge spoiler or anything, and he claims to have read up to the point Guts gets it. So, it's in Volume 27, after Guts emerges from the Berserk Armor after having given in to the Beast. Whether it was because Schierke had to astrally drag his ass out of the trance, or his strong desire to protect Casca, the event was so wrenching for Guts, it left a permanent mark in his hair.

Maybe it's been brought up before but it's kind of odd that that didn't happen after the eclipse instead. The events of the Eclipse turned Guts into a cynical, traumatized wanderer and he's still recovering from it. I think it's worth pointing out that the White shock of hair must have more to do with an accumulation of traumatic associations being brought up by his encounter with The Beast rather than just that specific incident in it of itself.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Forest Wraith said:
Maybe it's been brought up before but it's kind of odd that that didn't happen after the eclipse instead. The events of the Eclipse turned Guts into a cynical, traumatized wanderer and he's still recovering from it.

I don't see anything odd with it. It's the use of the Berserk's armor that gave Guts his white streak, not just stress.

Forest Wraith said:
I think it's worth pointing out that the White shock of hair must have more to do with an accumulation of traumatic associations being brought up by his encounter with The Beast rather than just that specific incident in it of itself.

I don't see any reason to think so. If it happened at that specific time it's because the events were very taxing for him. The fight and the use of the armor took a toll on him, that's all. The stuff he had undergone in the past only contributed to his state of mind at the time (which itself led to him losing control to the armor).

slayer81

Legendary pimp, slayer of evils
Uriel said:
That was your first mistake.

Go back and read the first 13 volumes, which Dark Horse has released, then anything after that. Then we'll talk turkey. It won't answer your trivial hair question, but I'm REALLY doing you a favour here. If you can't be arsed, then I'll tell you it happens when that character not in the anime uses means to bring about enormous amounts of stress onto Guts. That's all I'm saying, because you wouldn't learn your lesson if I spoiled it.

Amen to that. Even though the Anime did a good job, there was a pretty good bit that you can only get from the Manga.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
slayer81 said:
Even though the Anime did a good job, there was a pretty good bit that you can only get from the Manga.

The anime did an average job, at best.  It changed a lot of key things and even removed a volume's worth of material at one point.  And there's more than just a pretty good bit you can get from the manga.  You get the actual story, instead of the one that's been adapted to a different medium.

Bubbles Float High

God hand, shmod hand..
Taxing indeed. Stressful indeed. Kinda like when you get grays from your children! It's a good reminder that though Guts is young, he's in a way aged by the experience (ie. armor/beast)

Top Bottom