Soul Calibur 4

Darth Vader? In Soul Calibur??
I'm not sure at all what to think of that. Half of me thinks it's badass, the other half of me thinks that lightsabre v. steel is pretty unfair, and the final half of me wants it more now.
Yes, I have three halves, I'm just that great.

Also, Rock has a rhino mask? That's kinda cool. Is that burnt-looking guy Yoshimitsu, though?
See that Nightmare's still around, and has a new but similar look.
I think I see a blonde elf chick and a woman with extremely pointy erect nipples. :carcus:
And Zasalamel is still around? I don't see him any screens, but there was an artwork of him.
Given the ending of S.C.III, I'd think he would be gone from the series...
Soul Calibur's look is evolving some too, it now looks like it is made of some sort of crystal.

My one criticism so far is that Taki's breasts are bigger than her head, which seems like it would be disadvantageous to a ninja in more cases than not.

Is this a dodo bird!? http://ps3.ign.com/dor/objects/739576/soulcalibur-iv/images/soulcalibur-iv-20070717082616808.html?page=mediaimgviewer

I'm really excited about this. I've been a fan of the Soul Calibur games as far back as the original Soul Edge game in arcades. This one seems like it'll have plenty of new challenges for me, I've finally pretty much mastered Soul Calibur III.

Uriel said:
One, beautiful sums up my feelings for SCIV.

"Ugh".
Why is that?
Darth Vader's the only thing I felt "Ugh" about at first, though I was a bit more open to it after thinking about it for a few minutes.

Re: Soul Calibur 4losenki

In the beginning, I just hope that Darth Vader and Yoda will be playable only as guests, as a bonus and not a part of the story. I mean, it doesn't really matter for me, and the roster will be better (especially for the Versus part) but I'm really concerned about the consistency of the Soul Calibur/Soul Edge concept.
Everyone knows the historical background is the 16th century (even Link's presence from SoulCal II GC version wasn't credible though the Zelda universe was maybe easier to connect to than with Spawn or Heihachi).

Anyway, I can't wait to play this game. I'm hoping for some minor details like the statistics will come back and for some major ones like a enhanced version of the character creation mode, and a brand new Chronicle mode. I also really enjoy that armors and weapons can be (again) deteriorating during the confrontations. That means more strategic fights, less "guard battles" and a great place for the Guards Impact.

It seems each (principal?) character possesses a very spectacular "finishing move" which can be unlocked after you have destroyed the adversary's armor.
It reminds me of the Choukosenki Kikaiô's system (a damaged armor unlocks the final attack). And finally, we'll have an Online mode!

Logically, this episode will be the complete one. We hope that the new moves, gameplay subtilities will be amazing.

CnC

Ad Oculos

Ryouma said:
In the beginning, I just hope that Darth Vader and Yoda will be playable only as guests, as a bonus and not a part of the story. I mean, it doesn't really matter for me, and the roster will be better (especially for the Versus part) but I'm really concerned about the consistency of the Soul Calibur/Soul Edge concept.
Everyone knows the historical background is the 16th century (even Link's presence from SoulCal II GC version wasn't credible though the Zelda universe was maybe easier to connect to than with Spawn or Heihachi).

Your first mistake was to assume Soul Calibur has any sort of real story. Its more of a "ok they're all after this swor-- oh who gives a fuck? FIGHT!"

It's not much of a concept, and nor should it be. People typically don't play SC to see what happens to the characters, they're after a great fighting game.

As for defining "historical background take place in the 16th century", it really has never been stated in the game (to my knowledge). SC's arenas are likely created to look pretty while you fight in them, rather than tell a story or have any real history. They pretty much can throw any character they want in there as long as it doesn't mess up the fight mechanic.

Ryouma said:
The game itself states that it occurs all over time and space, or something along those lines. They could throw in some drunk hillbilly with a giant penis hat, or Jesus, or Bruce Lee, or even me and they'd fit. Hell, those're good ideas, except maybe the hillbilly one.

CnC said:
Your first mistake was to assume Soul Calibur has any sort of real story. Its more of a "ok they're all after this swor-- oh who gives a fuck? FIGHT!"

It's not much of a concept, and nor should it be. People typically don't play SC to see what happens to the characters, they're after a great fighting game.

As for defining "historical background take place in the 16th century", it really has never been stated in the game (to my knowledge). SC's arenas are likely created to look pretty while you fight in them, rather than tell a story or have any real history. They pretty much can throw any character they want in there as long as it doesn't mess up the fight mechanic.

Aye!
It's got a heavily-armored guy with a huge sword, a samurai, a ninja, some hot pixelated babes, and a few monsters; and they're all fighting. Now they've added Darth Vader and an elf. What more can a gamer want?

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.

nfries88 said:
Aye!
It's got a heavily-armored guy with a huge sword, a samurai, a ninja, some hot pixelated babes, and a few monsters; and they're all fighting. Now they've added Darth Vader and an elf. What more can a gamer want?

Solid gameplay that harkens back to the first one?

Well I did say that in the end, their presence didn't bother me. ;)
But while I really love Soul Calibur for its original and elaborate fighting mechanics, I also love it for its unique background.
Like you said, in every fighting game they pretty much can throw any character they want in there as long as it doesn't mess up the fight mechanic, but there is a particular signature in this game, an epic concept, an atmosphere that to me feels like heroic fantasy. That's it.

Scorpio said:
Solid gameplay that harkens back to the first one?

Indeed? Been so long since I played the first one that I can't really respond properly.

@up: Yeah, I understood that. I was just saying... according to the game, pretty much anyone would fit.

Death May Die said:
I for one was hoping for more special guest in the game. The star wars characters were the last I excepted.

Actually, there are Scheherazade (design by Yutaka Izubuchi illustrator on Lodoss or RaXephon), Ashlotte (design by Oh!Great who made Tenjo Tenge), Angol Fear (by Mine Yoshizaki known for Keroro Gunso) and Shura (by Hiroya Oku the creator of GANTZ) known as original characters. We don't know anything more about both (original and guest) character types.

CnC said:
Thanks for the links. So apparently it both takes place in the 16th century and "transcends history and the world"? wieeerd :guts:

Transcending History and the world, a tale of souls and swords, eternally retold. It means that because of the sword's destiny, essence and power, the confrontation repeats itself over and over again through time and with different protagonists. A few years passed but, Soul Calibur's events succeed directly to Soul Edge. The only one who physically made his way through (a part of) this transcending battle and through time is Cervantes de Leon (by the way I really hope his "Phantom of the Paradise" costume in SCI will be available). Many details were in the character, arena or weapon profiles but the basic links between episodes and events are simply observable in the fighting phases (character quotes, details in the arenas).

The story of Soul Edge and Soul Calibur saga is more elaborate, deeper, richer and subtler than that of many other fighting games. That's one of the many reasons why the epic feeling feels so strong in the games.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Ryouma said:
The story of Soul Edge and Soul Calibur saga is more elaborate, deeper, richer and subtler than that of many other fighting games.

Perhaps needlessly so, but I see you're into it. :serpico:

What do you mean by needlessly? :void:

Anyway, what console do you intend to play it on? I'll be on the PS3 myself. Concerning the online mode, can we hope a cross-platform system?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Ryouma said:
What do you mean by needlessly? :void:
I believe CnC is insinuating what he was earlier — the story in these games is always just an elaborate (especially so this time) excuse to get a bunch of violent people in one place to fight TO BE THE BEST... ARROUUNND! (the music, not the image, is noteworthy here).

Well, some people enjoy refined dishes and find in them a flavor that many others do not even notice. Those other people are usually satisfied with eating in fast foods.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Don't get me wrong, Soul Calibur on DC is probably my favorite fighting game of all time. It's just not the generic, cliche story that makes it fucking awesome.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Ryouma said:
Well, some people enjoy refined dishes and find in them a flavor that many others do not even notice. Those other people are usually satisfied with eating in fast foods.

hehe.. easy. I love SC. I just don't think it has much of a story.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Soul Calibur's story is worse than fanfiction.

Even calling it a "story" is an insult to other games. At the end of the day, it's a beat-em-up. Reading into any further than that is a colossal waste of time.

Uriel said:
Soul Calibur's story is worse than fanfiction.

Even calling it a "story" is an insult to other games. At the end of the day, it's a beat-em-up. Reading into any further than that is a colossal waste of time.

But the sword everyone is fighting over... it makes them evil! Why don't they see that!? :judo:

Yeah, while the story isn't the most cliche in the world it certainly follows a typical pattern. I really don't think that the fighting is a result of the story so much as the story is an excuse for the fighting.

Top Bottom