2008 NBA playoffs, anyone?

creampuff_war

haven't you already paid enough for your life?
A playoffs thread, nice.

If my Atlanta Hawks could pull out a win or two against Boston, I would be more than satisfied. Overall it should be some really great playoff basketball. Animosity between Lebron and the Wizards. Dwight Howard against Chris Bosh. And all the teams out west are just nasty.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Sorry, creampuff, but I'm wishing for a Lakers/Celtics final this year.

I'd like to see Atlanta win a game or two... but it's going to be very tough to not go down 4-0.

And I whole heartedly agree with the arse biscuitry that has been going on so far. The Spurs/Suns game was ridiculously tense but I don't remember poor sportsmanship from anyone like we saw elsewhere so far. Bryant needs to calm down a little and let his talent do the talking, not his ego. I felt for Iverson... he played like it was game 7 with 5 points remaining throughout. But, then again, when does he not do that anyway?

Pound for pound the best in the league? :p

Uriel said:
Sorry, creampuff, but I'm wishing for a Lakers/Celtics final this year.

I'd like to see Atlanta win a game or two... but it's going to be very tough to not go down 4-0.

And I whole heartedly agree with the arse biscuitry that has been going on so far. The Spurs/Suns game was ridiculously tense but I don't remember poor sportsmanship from anyone like we saw elsewhere so far. Bryant needs to calm down a little and let his talent do the talking, not his ego. I felt for Iverson... he played like it was game 7 with 5 points remaining throughout. But, then again, when does he not do that anyway?

Pound for pound the best in the league? :p

My local broadcaster only shows games which take place on Friday/Saturday, and didn't broadcast this game. I checked the NBA official site and didn't see anything being written about Kobe.

So may I ask what Kobe did during the game that seems to be pissing some people off?

Excellent performance by Gasol. It must be comforting for Lakers fans to know that there is somebody on the team who can pick up the slack if Kobe takes a day off. Man, that Kupchak is looking more like a genius every day.

And how about those Sixers? I really thought the Pistons would win in four games.

Uriel

Yeah, if the Pistons are out, there is hope for an interesting final.

I can see Washington putting up a fight for the rest of the series, but it's going to be hard to stop the Cavs at home.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
It certainly is comforting having Pau:

lakersimprovement.jpg

I can also see the Wizards making it a series at home too. I remember in their series with the Bulls a few years ago they got similarly blown out in the first two games, and were a totally different team at home where those shots will more likely drop, and they ended up winning it in 6 games. Of course, different teams now, and with LeBron playing the way he is and Gil like he is... not likely.

Spurs/Suns Game 2 tonight, don't miss it!

As usual, the Spurs' stifling defense wins Game 2 against the Suns. Hopefully, the Phoenix home crowd support will give them a couple of games and the momentum to win the series.

Go Suns!

Griffith

I hope the Suns even it up, the Spurs going up 3 anything in the next two games would make this series rather boring (plus, I want the Spurs gone, they're starting to look scary again). Maybe the Suns should stop talking about how they think they're the better team though and just play, since they've lost like 14 of 18 post-season meetings with the Spurs, who never talk ala the Wizards/Pistons/Suns, yet consistently win.

Not sure to put it in this post, or the Presidential thread, but you guys should check out the cover on the next issue of TIME magazine.

Seems like the magazine is borrowing the theme/slogan from the NBA Playoffs.

http://www.nba.com/features/only_be_one_080410.html

Griffith

Here's a screencap of the cover, taken from nba.com:

timenba.jpg

And forget his A game, Kobe brought his MVP game tonight, with some nice, even Jordanesque, A-Hole sauce thrown on top, totally punking J.R. Smith in the end. Now we just need to see if the Lakeshow takes game 3 a bit more seriously, because to be honest, this felt more like a regular season game (but I guess playing the Nuggets will do that to you).

Also, the Kenny Smith parody of Kobe's car jump ad was great.

Kobe was really fantastic. A pity the local broadcaster didn't show it on cable, so I was intently refreshing my browser to look at the play-by-play updates.

However, 20 points in the first quarter alone? :isidro:

Also, I hope that Lebron tops this performance in Game 3 tomorrow. Somehow, I notice that whenever Kobe gets a monster night, Lebron usually follows with one of his, in his next game.

I'll keep my fingers crossed though, seeing how its in Washington and all.

OMG. Just saw the parody video. I'm still tearing from it... :judo: Gonna post a link in the Youtube thread.

Griffith

Yeah, but even more impressive was that he scored 19 points in the span of 4:19 in the 4th quarter. Don't make him angry...

kobehulk.jpg

You wouldn't like him when he's angry.​

I guess one lesson all players should learn is not to trash talk. The Wizards were talking, Lebron shut them up, and now the Nuggets have learned the lesson the hard way.

Great performance by Kobe. I guess I won't get to see them Lakers lose soon.

Also, only one series is tied, I hope things will change now that the trailing teams will play at home.

That Kenny Smith video was hilarious.

So much for LeBron's monster night. The Cavs barely managed to match Kobe's 49 point total after 3 periods of play. Needless to say, the Wizards torched Cavs by more than 30 points.

Uriel

After all the come backs last night, I'm expecting the Suns to pull a game back.

Uriel

I hope Philadelphia keeps this up!

Also, it looks like Dallas has got into some sort of a groove... I ****ing love this game.

Griffith

Well, I can't say I feel sorry for the Suns, because I've always thought they were more entertaining and popular than they were good. I have no idea why they continue to get picked by people to win it all every year when they're clearly a one-dimensional team, and they worse with Shaq, or at least they aren't special anymore. Anyway, if the Spurs don't beat these Suns, someone else will (Utah, Lakers, New Orleans, even Dallas). And I must admit, seeing them get beat down like that last night, with Shaq, was sweet revenge for a Lakers fan. By that same token, I also know how resilient they are, I think I was the onlyperson in LA that had the Suns in 7 after they went down 3-1 to the Lakeshow. That was because people were paying more attention to the name on the front of the uniform than the names on the back, but these Spurs are for real, and it shows they're still a force to be reckoned with unfortunately, so it's likely anyone that wants to come out of the West will have to go through them. Interestingly enough, Dallas is, or at least was, built specifically to beat them, and was the only team that did besides those great Lakers teams. I actually think Dallas has an edge in that series, not outright, but a mental advantage they wouldn't have against anyone else. They're comfortable playing the Spurs, and even if these Spurs come to kick their ass, Dallas would be playing with house money and wouldn't have to worry about embarrassing themselves losing to a lesser team.

Griffith No More! said:
... but these Spurs are for real, and it shows they're still a force to be reckoned with unfortunately, so it's likely anyone that wants to come out of the West will have to go through them. Interestingly enough, Dallas is, or at least was, built specifically to beat them, and was the only team that did besides those great Lakers teams. I actually think Dallas has an edge in that series, not outright, but a mental advantage they wouldn't have against anyone else. They're comfortable playing the Spurs, and even if these Spurs come to kick their ass, Dallas would be playing with house money and wouldn't have to worry about embarrassing themselves losing to a lesser team.

But to get a shot at the Spurs they first have to get past the Hornets and it's not looking all that simple. I still think they won't do it, but hey, I thought the Suns were going to do better.

creampuff_war said:
If my Atlanta Hawks could pull out a win or two against Boston, I would be more than satisfied.

You must be ecstatic right now. I never would have thought the Hawks would win one, let alone three.

The second round starts today. Is anyone interested in sharing his/her predictions?

I suck at predicting but here are my picks:

San Antonio in 6
Lakers in 6
Pistons in 6
If the Celtics beat the Hawks, Celtics in 7. If the Hawks win, Cleveland in 6.

Uriel

I like those, but I'm pegging the Hornets over the Spurs.

Don't ask me why, it's just a feeling. I can see Lakers winning in 5, but 6 is more likely. As for Boston... I have a feeling that if they get over this hump, they'll walk over the Cavs.

Griffith

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8Z-T6gDpxQ

Makes me wish Chris Bosh was still in the playoffs.

Uriel

Just watched the Kobe MVP ceremony... kinda awkward.

Would have been better with some real Lakers fans in there..... presented by Kia motors.

Griffith

MVP! MVP! Seriously, what a game by Kobe, I've seen him be more singularly dominating obviously, but thats' damn near the best I've seen him just control a game, both teams, the refs, himself, everything, top to bottom. MVP!

Top Bottom