New Art, Berserk Game, etc

Serpico

Farnese is the bomb diggity
Hi guys,

I have been pretty busy with school stuff, but I haven't given up my game projects. I need to keep advancing though so I can't spend time just making sprites for the 2D game. Its tedious work. I decided to move the project over to 3D so I can learn more about the coding involved with 3D applications and work on my modeling skills. I will release a 3D Berserk demo once its ready.

So far I have only modeled Farnese. Its only my second character model so I will probably do a better version at a later point. I am a little stuck on getting her rigged properly at the moment, mostly due to her skirt and cape, but once I have that done it shouldn't be long before she is animated and running around in a game environment; hopefully.

Right now I am thinking of using Ogre3D as the graphics engine, but I am open to suggestions.
http://www.ninetenths.org/3D_farnese_wip4s.jpg

EDIT:
revised the model some, not finished with it but it looks a little better to me.
revision2.jpg

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Looking good! I can relate to school's time-sucking quality, but I hope that you can get that demo out relatively soon. I really enjoyed your earlier game, so I look forward to what you'll come out with next. :guts:

Serpico

Thanks for the input guys. She does look a little young, but eventually I will overhaul the original models I use.

Right now I am a little stuck implementing the physics library, so I will probably wont get much farther on anything else till I solve those issues. As far as the graphics rendering though Ogre is fairly straightforward. Here is a shot rendering a small scene with it.

ogre_1.jpg

Looks like it's coming along quite nicely. Can't wait till it actually looks playable.
There really isn't anything that couldn't use some more work so I won't bother with constructive criticism at this point.

Serpico

Okin said:
Cool, Farnese cheeks look a little too wide though.

Yeah, I think I agree. I will keep tweaking the face, but mostly I am doing detail work on her body and armor right now.

Just to update everyone though progress will be slow on an actual game, school started back up, and I need to use most of my energy to keep up with calc and physics. I have calculus III at 8:30 every morning; pretty awful.

That's good, but I have one thing to say : pay attention to the shoulder's position, they are not perfectly settled... Actually when you're gonna rig it as you surely know, you'll see the problem...
In my mind if you rig just for test one arm, try to rotate this arm from the shoulder to the hand from 90 degrees to the ground, and you'll see that the arm will go throught the body of your mesh.

Texture and modeling of the character are quite interesting, keep it up ! :badbone:

Serpico

showguynie said:
That's good, but I have one thing to say : pay attention to the shoulder's position, they are not perfectly settled... Actually when you're gonna rig it as you surely know, you'll see the problem...
In my mind if you rig just for test one arm, try to rotate this arm from the shoulder to the hand from 90 degrees to the ground, and you'll see that the arm will go throught the body of your mesh.

Texture and modeling of the character are quite interesting, keep it up ! :badbone:

Thanks for the tip. I can see what you mean about the position just by rotating my own shoulders in the mirror. I think I can get that mostly fixed.

As for the rigging, do you have any advice how you would go about it in 3dsmax? I took a beginner class on modeling which only covered using a biped and the physique modifier to skin. The tests I've done using that don't really have great results. I think I am better off to build the bones myself so I can customize them to account for her cape and skirt. It seems like it will be kind of tough to get a realistic rig due to the mix of cloth and metal in the mesh. I'm really not sure though.

Serpico said:
Thanks for the tip. I can see what you mean about the position just by rotating my own shoulders in the mirror. I think I can get that mostly fixed.

As for the rigging, do you have any advice how you would go about it in 3dsmax? I took a beginner class on modeling which only covered using a biped and the physique modifier to skin. The tests I've done using that don't really have great results. I think I am better off to build the bones myself so I can customize them to account for her cape and skirt. It seems like it will be kind of tough to get a realistic rig due to the mix of cloth and metal in the mesh. I'm really not sure though.

Actually it's too bad, I'm working with maya :isidro:
I can ask some coworkers about how to rig in maya and test it myself, but it's a shame because I know how to rig with muscle system in maya 2008. There is even an autorig by Anzovin, " the setup machine " which is quite good but when you skin the mesh... No comment lol old maya system skinning sucks compared to maya muscle skin weight tool.
Maybe you can find some tutorial from the digital tutors one, they are not bad. Sorry, can't help you with max...

PS : I guess you did some tris on your mesh ? If so, you can't create displacement mappings, and normals are gonna be hard to make... Quads rules XD

Serpico

I just started this picture. It will probably take me at least a week to finish it. Don't worry that Shierke looks strange and apathetic, I'm gonna re-drew her, and Guts. It usually takes me a couple tries with any character to be satisfied. Caska will be sane in this picture.

team-composition.jpg

For anyone interested I am about done writing the engine I was using for the 2D Berserk game. I am using it for a different project but once it is totally complete then its really just a matter of making more Berserk related sprites and a plot to complete a game (thought sprites are actually fairly tedious). I'm going to pick up network programming over the summer so I plan to eventually make some kind of multi-player thing.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
I'm looking forward to your next completed drawing! It's clearly still in its rough stages, so I'm not sure what you're planning on changing besides Guts and Schierke. Even so, I'd suggest that you watch out for Casca's height, since she's a bit taller than Farnese. Actually, I'm pretty sure that she'd be around Guts' shoulders. :guts:

Serpico

Th3Branded0ne said:
I"ll be waiting to see the finished drawing. Keep it up Serp! Your stuff is great :guts:

Thanks dude.

Grail said:
I'm looking forward to your next completed drawing! It's clearly still in its rough stages, so I'm not sure what you're planning on changing besides Guts and Schierke. Even so, I'd suggest that you watch out for Casca's height, since she's a bit taller than Farnese. Actually, I'm pretty sure that she'd be around Guts' shoulders. :guts:

Duely noted on the hieght. I went ahead and adjusted it some. Its hard for me to tell sometimes because when you stare at the same image too long you lose perspective on those kinds of things. I'll probably change a lot still. I'm only halfway satisfied with everyone, except I am liking how Casca has started to come out. I'm fairly sure Serpico and Farnese will be re-drawn again. Third time is the charm, though I am not ruling out 4th or 5th attempts if it comes to that.

Here is where we're at now
http://www.ninetenths.org/team-composition2.jpg

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Not bad man. I'm looking forward to the finished piece. You might want to consider a more serious expression for Guts, though, unless you want to use his mad grin from his Black Swordsman days.

Serpico

Rhombaad said:
Not bad man. I'm looking forward to the finished piece. You might want to consider a more serious expression for Guts, though, unless you want to use his mad grin from his Black Swordsman days.

Ahh, thats a good point. This picture is supposed to be at least some months passed the present volume, hence Farnese having more advanced magic, and Caska having her sanity. The expression doesn't really fit I suppose, Nor the armor I started to sketch. I'll be sure to make some adjustments on that.

Serpico

Whew, this thing just kept getting bigger and bigger on me. I've been working on it off and on the last 10 days or so, and don't really plan to be finished with even the line-art for a few more. Since I already put so much work into it I don't really want to settle, so I'm still fixing some mistakes. Casca's sword will be replaced with a better looking one, and Isidro will likely be redrawn. I will add the fairies in there as well. I am debating whether to replace the generic looking spirit with Flora. I didn't notice how hot (no pun intended) she was in her spirit form till I re-read that part. And of course I still have to add Mr. Waffles. The full res looks better but spans my entire 1920 res monitor so I'll save linking that for when I am done.

composition_v9.jpg

Hey Serpico, not sure if you're still working on the casca low poly model or not, but i'd say it has some mesh problems by the look of it, could you maybe post a wireframe so i can see how the mesh looks? and how many triangles is it? Oh and the texture nees some work as well :troll:

If you need any help with the low poly mesh and modeling topology in general let me know, as i have done a bit of low poly work a ways back

the rest of the art looks pretty good, and judging from the latest images i see you are improving , so keep at it

Serpico

cryo said:
Hey Serpico, not sure if you're still working on the casca low poly model or not, but i'd say it has some mesh problems by the look of it, could you maybe post a wireframe so i can see how the mesh looks? and how many triangles is it? Oh and the texture nees some work as well :troll:

If you need any help with the low poly mesh and modeling topology in general let me know, as i have done a bit of low poly work a ways back

the rest of the art looks pretty good, and judging from the latest images i see you are improving , so keep at it

Sure, I would be grateful if you took a look at it. I have only literally only done a couple models and that was my first attempt at dragging a plane by the edges to model so, I'm sure it is fairly messy. I'd like to get back to some 3D stuff soon so advice is good. Right now, I am working on learning the Win32/DirectX programming libraries because I decided I'd rather use them for a game than SDL/Ogre3D libraries. I will soon need to do some modeling work to do tests with though.

screenshot
www.ninetenths.org/farnese_mesh.jpg

Here is the actual mesh, its a max 2009 file
www.ninetenths.org/farnese-mesh.zip

I left out the textures. They were somewhat slapped on there since I was still revising the model. Advice or links to good tutorials would be great. I have zbrush as well but kinda want to keep all my work done in max.

Death May Die said:
Nice! Cover art for the game?

Thanks, and thats possible, hehe. The game is on a bit of a hold artistically till I either draw more Sprites for the other characters, or enlist help doing so. Or it may go to 3D still if I can manage some decent models. The 2D engine I am still actively coding though.

Serpico

A couple things.

First if you scroll up to the team picture I am working on, I added Puck and Evarella to it, and I put them in close perspective so I could do them full scale. Just need to finish up SKs horse when I feel motivated and it will be about done.

Second, I switched back to 3D stuff. I changed the rendering engine to something much easier to work with and that I can feasibly have a good 3D game on in a practical amount of time. Before I get started with it I had to test the pipeline out for getting 3D models, both static and for animated characters out from 3D studio and loaded into the engine properly. Basically I am done with that and it all seems to work pretty well. So basically now I am at the part where I can start building up game assets and working on code for basic systems like camera and player control. Rendering and collision is pretty much automatic, which is nice.

Character Animation will be tested with a dummy model until I have some nice low poly models rigged. Basically a Block man running around with the DS. I have a new better version of Farnese but its not ready yet. Anyway here is a shot of some stuff I'm using in my first test level. Its Godot's hut, which I am currently working on the interior modeling for. By the way if anyone knows what he uses the water-wheel for I would appreciate it.

hut-wip.jpg

Also anyone who wants to help out with modeling is welcome. Basically the intent is to build up the world one location at a time. That part is really pretty easy, say to make it an FPS style explorable world, but I'm going more action RPG style. Game mechanics will be added in as I get to them, and ultimately I will incorporate a networking library and try to make something that can support 20-50 people I think. One player per Berserk character though so someone might get stuck using Jill's dad or something. Don't worry, he has a helmet and a little crossbow. In the near future though don't expect anything more than a small one player map with the hut, mine, and maybe the hill of swords that you can run around on. Probably in a month.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Oh shit sweet! My guess is he uses the water wheel to run bellows for his furnace or something like that.
Let me know if you'd like any help filling in props or buildings or UV unwraps or textures or whatever, I'd love to chip in.

Top Bottom