New Art, Berserk Game, etc

Serpico

Farnese is the bomb diggity
slan69 said:
That's coming along really good Serpico. Nice dragon slayer by the way. :guts:

Thanks a lot. Cryo has a better DS he is working on so I kept mine basic hehe.

Lithrael said:
Oh shit sweet! My guess is he uses the water wheel to run bellows for his furnace or something like that.
Let me know if you'd like any help filling in props or buildings or UV unwraps or textures or whatever, I'd love to chip in.

Ahhh thank you so much, I was totally stumped about the water wheel. And yes, I would love help! Basically, I will leave it up to anyone as to what they want to model. I can probably do most of the hut scene, unless someone wants to take on modeling Erika or Godot, however if anyone actually wants to do Godot's tools (hammer, anvil, etc.) or items from the armory they are welcome. Aside from that, the next location is still up in the air so if any particular place interests you let me know. As for the UV and texturing I could definitely use help with that after I crank out a few more models. Even what I have will likely need to be re-textured so I'll let you know on that. Let me know though so I can send you the current scene if you need it.

Serpico

Just an update for anyone interested. I coded in some basic camera and player controls so now I can move an animated character around the world while the camera follows. I also figured out the basics of attaching gear to a character.

Aside from that I made myself a test model for temporary use. I dubbed her the pink swordsman. (no, she won't really have the DS in the final game) Still hope to have a demo level ready around mid September. Things are going fairly smooth so far.

pink_swordsman.jpg

Serpico

Aazealh said:
Doesn't look half bad so far I have to say. I'm interested to see more of the progress. :serpico:

Thanks Aaz.

Here is a test with a junk texture I slapped on it a couple minutes. Its obviously not the final texture but there isn't much point to do that until the mesh is fixed of a couple problems and finalized, but at least it gives a general idea.

f-rend1.jpg

Serpico

Ok, here is pretty much the final picture. Not sure how long I worked on this but I probably could have done 20 of my usual pics in the same amount of time. My arm was buzzing after I finished shading Guts. I might use it for a menu or something in my game, but anyone can feel free to color, crop, or modify it for personal use. If anyone does actually color it though by all means post it.

Full sized version here, its a bit huge
www.ninetenths.org/berserk_pic.jpg

smaller one here
berserk_pic_s.jpg

Grail

Feel the funk blast
It can be frustrating to work with the same picture of an extended period of time, so kudos to you for sticking with it. :guts: That 3D model is coming along nicely, too.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Is that Flora wrapping around everyone, or is that the Idea of GOOOOOOOOOD? :griffnotevil:

I know the elves are supposed to be in the foreground, but as they aren't really occluding anyone else, it looks like they're on the same plane, and thus HUGE.

Serpico

Rhombaad said:
Not bad, Serpico. I like it! :guts:

Thanks

Grail said:
It can be frustrating to work with the same picture of an extended period of time, so kudos to you for sticking with it. :guts: That 3D model is coming along nicely, too.

Hah, yes, it drove me a little nuts actually. The 3D model is a bit of a Frankenstein work to be honest, like I stiched on some hands I found somewhere else, because they are tedious, and this isn't a commercial project, but I probably shouldn't take too much credit on that.

Walter said:
Is that Flora wrapping around everyone, or is that the Idea of GOOOOOOOOOD? :griffnotevil:

I know the elves are supposed to be in the foreground, but as they aren't really occluding anyone else, it looks like they're on the same plane, and thus HUGE.

Nah, not Flora, just a generic spirit, although I've been torn on changing it to Flora. When she does the fire embodiment thing and we see her in her youth she was probably the hottest (no pun intended) woman in Berserk. I need to practice her a bit.

On the the elves, I didn't want to occlude too much, since it was a lot of work drawing the other characters, but I sort of see what you mean. As the one who drew it I am more naturally inclined to see it as I intended it rather that what other people may see at first glance so it helpful to know that. I can re-scale them up or down pretty easy so I might fiddle with them a little later.

Serpico

Ok, just an update.

I decided not to bother with a demo yet, because there just isn't much to do aside from run around. Still working on the game though.

I'm going to try to churn out a few mobs, because I really need more practice with the whole 3D process. My modeling, texturing, normal mapping, rigging, and especially animating could stand some improvement. I learn enough about coding in school and its better to focus on my weakest points because the only way my project is practical is if I am able to be self sufficient for the whole process. I would love help from other 3D artists eventually but I think its a big mistake to go into something like this counting on volunteers.

That said, I'm not really worried about anything.

This guy took me a couple hours in total. The hands and feet are junky but it will be fine for testing purposes. I think he wants a hug!
troll2.jpg

troll6.jpg

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Serpico said:
the only way my project is practical is if I am able to be self sufficient for the whole process. I would love help from other 3D artists eventually but I think its a big mistake to go into something like this counting on volunteers.

Agreed, no matter how unfortunate it is. I think you're doing well so far anyway.

Serpico said:
This guy took me a couple hours in total. The hands and feet are junky but it will be fine for testing purposes. I think he wants a hug!

Hahaha, nice texturing. The perfect dummy.

Serpico

Aazealh said:
Hahaha, nice texturing. The perfect dummy.

Thanks, I am actually starting to get the hang of texturing. Its more difficult than normal coloring because I can't visualize what I am doing as well. Next one coming is the Kelpie.

I've had a bit of trouble lately with chronic headaches and resulting ulcers from taking too many pills so I've been drawing a little more since I have been more in the mood for that. Keeps my stress lower. Here is a new picture in the works. When I finish Farnese will have about five to ten hand maidens. The one there already is still in a sketchy phase and I think I will re-draw the hat a little nicer. I've been meaning to do this since she was shown with all her maidens at the Vandimion's Estate.

famidens.jpg

Also here is an ooold thing I drew. Not even totally finished but someone may like it.

teens.jpg

Grail

Feel the funk blast
I'm liking these new pictures, Serpy! I'm sorry to hear about your headaches and ulcers, though, sounds terrible. :sad: I have a chronic headache issue myself, and it is odd how I also find myself experiencing greater instances of inspiration whenever it resurfaces.

Anyway, it sounds like you've got big plans for that first picture! Farnese's costume is terrific here; you managed to give it the impression of lots of varying materials without making it look too cluttered. I'm curious to see which colors you'll choose for it. :carcus:

I'm hesitant to say too much about the second picture. Since you said yourself that it's rather old, I'm sure that you can already see things that you'd like to change. However, I will say that the little picture of Farnese and Serpico in the corner is a cute detail. :serpico:

Serpico

Darklink286 said:
Very nice art Serpico! :guts: Has Farnese been spending some time with the Joestars? :ganishka:

Heh, well my drawing process at the time was extremely random. The stars were just part of that.

@ Grail

Thanks, the ulcers are only bad if you anger them :chomp: and they heal if you are careful for a month or so. Mine is about gone I think. Just have to reduce my headache meds which means taking it easy :serpico: Usually drawing makes them worse but right now my brain is in anti-programming mode, and I actually feel fine drawing. Sorry to hear about your headaches; its rough.

The costume involved a lot of testing. Quite hard for me to make elaborate clothes with any sense of coherence or balance. Coloring should be fun. Hopefully it won't look too ridiculous in the end. Sometime soon I'll probably do another child Serpico and Farnese like the little one in the 2nd pic there. :serpico:

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Serpico said:
Heh, well my drawing process at the time was extremely random. The stars were just part of that.
Ah, I was actually referencing Jojo's Bizarre Adventure since the costume design on Farnese really reminds me of some of the stuff you see in there. Or maybe it's just me... :farnese:
jojobizarreadventurekuj.jpg

Serpico

Darklink286 said:
Ah, I was actually referencing Jojo's Bizarre Adventure since the costume design on Farnese really reminds me of some of the stuff you see in there. Or maybe it's just me... :farnese:

Ahh ok, I thought you mean like Johnny Joestar from Viewtiful Joe, who has a lot of stars on the outfit hehe Maybe I will check out JoJo though for some inspiration if I run out of ideas. Typically anything I draw is just off the top of my head but I despise thinking up clothing lol.

Top Bottom