Author Topic: What are you listening to? (general music thread)  (Read 94533 times)

Offline Slan_wings

Re: What are you listening to? (general music thread)
« Reply #100 on: October 25, 2008, 04:55:59 PM »
I'm currently listening to dillinger escape plan's setting fire to sleeping giants.
I've already heard the self titled Chinese democracy track (on sirius not pirated) from the new guns n roses and I must say im my opinion its a letdown when compared to his earlier work with guns in roses lyric wise.

Offline Scorpio

• Of the Interstice
  • Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
« Reply #101 on: October 25, 2008, 10:32:58 PM »
[...]my opinion its a letdown when compared to his earlier work with guns in roses lyric wise.

What about sound wise? Most of the time for me, as long as the music is good the lyrics could be jibberish for all I care.

Offline Slan_wings

« Reply #102 on: October 26, 2008, 01:47:38 AM »
@scorpio the music is sub par nothing really standsout,since apparently a good improvisional guitarist is too much for him but if you like the whole new rock bands who dont do solos then its passible but not exactly what i think of when i want to hear gnr

This time round listening to slayer's song supremist.

Offline SaiyajinNoOuji

• Of the Abyss
  • I'm still better than you
« Reply #103 on: October 26, 2008, 02:11:54 AM »
I am listening to KMFDM right now while I play Warhammer: Age of Reckoning. Squigz ar da best!
"Plenty of time to sleep when you're dead!"

Offline Ramen4ever

« Reply #104 on: October 26, 2008, 02:29:23 AM »
I am listening to KMFDM right now while I play Warhammer: Age of Reckoning. Squigz ar da best!

I love KMFDM. Anarchy is my favorite song from them. Though I also like Virus and Leid Und Elend
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avwxZX_pYXU

Offline Slan_wings

« Reply #105 on: October 26, 2008, 02:41:09 AM »
my favorite songs by kmfdm are megalomaniac & juke joint jezebel (remix I forgot title of). but of course I dont buy music very much anymore too much manga.

Offline Ramen4ever

« Reply #106 on: October 26, 2008, 03:21:04 AM »
Great editing on this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSmWaYREnds
KMFDM btw.

Offline SaiyajinNoOuji

• Of the Abyss
« Reply #107 on: October 26, 2008, 03:56:57 AM »
Strum and Drang is my all time favorite. I acquired their latest album and im digging it!

Offline handsome rakshas

• Of the Vortex
  • Thanks Grail!
« Reply #108 on: October 26, 2008, 04:09:14 AM »
Finally some music talk I could get into! I still prefer Nihil over anything else but I just pulled out Money and gave that a relistening. Great stuff, I haven't listened to KMFDM in a while. I've been too stuck on Front Line Assembly lately.

Offline SaiyajinNoOuji

• Of the Abyss
« Reply #109 on: October 26, 2008, 04:15:14 AM »
My favorite's from top to bottom would be...

Adios
Symbols
Nihl
Tohuvabohu

Offline SimplyEd

• Of the Interstice
  • エンシェント カタストロフィ
« Reply #110 on: October 26, 2008, 04:07:24 PM »

At this very moment i'm listening to Blind Guardian's "Nightfall In Middle Earth" yet again. It's not my favourite album and there's a common agreement that it takes some time to fully appreciate this one in particular. Be that as it may, i think it's perfectly suited to listen to when reading Berserk. Enhances the mood by rougly 90% for me.
If knowledge is power, then to be unknown is to be unconquerable.

どんだけ~!?!

Offline Slan_wings

« Reply #111 on: October 26, 2008, 07:56:07 PM »
Well a band I found to be good to listen to while reading berserk is acid bath's when the kite string pops cd.

I'm listening to amon amarth's twilight of the thunder god.

Offline Oburi

• Falconian
  • Of the Abyss
  • All praise Grail
« Reply #112 on: October 31, 2008, 04:30:33 AM »
What I'm listening too now.

My Morning Jacket - evil urges

Fleet FOxes- Fleet Foxes-

MGMT-Oracular Spectacular...this album is awsome. Maybe too poppy but still very cool

Tokyo Police Club ...Just heard these guys on their last show for their tour. Not bad.

Offline Walter

• 賢者
  • Administrator
  • Of the Abyss
  • Chapter ≠ Episode
« Reply #113 on: October 31, 2008, 02:49:09 PM »
MGMT-Oracular Spectacular...this album is awsome. Maybe too poppy but still very cool
Yeah I keep meaning to say that MGMT has the best album of the year in this thread. Because they do. Even if they are a bunch of lame ass psychedelic hippies, their music is just fucking FUN, but it's also tinted with a kind of sadness. They make me think of what Sigur Ros would have developed into if they weren't tragically crippled by their stilted pretention.

Here's a few hits:
Future Reflections, the song I keep coming back to over and over, especially once it catches its groove around the 2m mark - its the climax of the album.

Of Moons, Birds and Monsters. The 2.5 minute instrumental segment is another height of the album.

And of course, Kids, their big single.
:femto: :slan: :ubik:

Offline The Perineum Falcon

• Slightly Green, all Ranemaka
  • Of the Vortex
« Reply #114 on: October 31, 2008, 07:26:29 PM »
MGMT is fucking brilliant. And, I would agree, their's is certainly one of the best albums this year. And despite how quickly I got burnt out on it, I'd say Vampire Weekend's is right up there, too.

If you like MGMT, maybe you'd like to check out Cut/Copy, if you haven't already. Similar in some ways; in an electro-poppish way.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Offline NightCrawler

• Of the Vortex
  • Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
« Reply #115 on: October 31, 2008, 07:45:16 PM »
Yeah I keep meaning to say that MGMT has the best album of the year in this thread. Because they do. Even if they are a bunch of lame ass psychedelic hippies, their music is just fucking FUN, but it's also tinted with a kind of sadness. They make me think of what Sigur Ros would have developed into if they weren't tragically crippled by their stilted pretention.

Here's a few hits:
Future Reflections, the song I keep coming back to over and over, especially once it catches its groove around the 2m mark - its the climax of the album.

Of Moons, Birds and Monsters. The 2.5 minute instrumental segment is another height of the album.

And of course, Kids, their big single.

"Kids" made me get the whole album. But i was disappointed. I only enjoy "Kids" ( :troll:). Bastards fooled me with the single.

On topic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z1lntprsUw
Katatonia - Deliberation
Berserk isn't really "dark fantasy" either. It's plain fantasy
Miura has been very protective of Berserk

Xem

« Reply #116 on: October 31, 2008, 08:38:26 PM »
Someone blasting hip-hop outside my apartment atm. I wouldn't mind so much but it's on REPEAT ONE.

Offline Ramen4ever

« Reply #117 on: October 31, 2008, 08:40:29 PM »
Someone blasting hip-hop outside my apartment atm. I wouldn't mind so much but it's on REPEAT ONE.

Set up your speakers and Rick Roll em. :carcus:

Xem

« Reply #118 on: October 31, 2008, 08:42:33 PM »
Set up your speakers and Rick Roll em. :carcus:

Sadly I've only got one more noise complaint and I get kicked out =(.

Offline deathbybears

« Reply #119 on: October 31, 2008, 09:46:16 PM »
MGMT is fucking brilliant. And, I would agree, their's is certainly one of the best albums this year.

It's far, far too different from the kind of stuff I usually listen to. Too full of emotions I don't like. I like Rhapsody Of Fire and Blind Guardian. Music regarding good, evil, dragons, conquest, and treasure.

See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SKqqKjW0aU

Offline Slan_wings

« Reply #120 on: November 04, 2008, 09:13:24 PM »
I've been listening to heidevolk's wodan heerst and megadeth's holy wars....punishment due (live).

Anyone know of a good blackmore's night cd to listen to while reading berserk?

Offline yota821

« Reply #121 on: November 06, 2008, 07:13:42 PM »
For  some odd reason, I've been listening to The Ink Spots alot lately. Not quite sure why .... :carcus:
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 07:25:55 PM by yota821 »
I'm just a poor, wayfaring stranger.......just moving along to the next habitation of demons.....

Offline The Perineum Falcon

• Slightly Green, all Ranemaka
  • Of the Vortex
« Reply #122 on: November 08, 2008, 12:38:06 AM »
Another album perfect for the Fall and Winter months (and I'm, admittedly, a bit late on this):

We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Offline Griffith

• The Millennium Falcon
  • Falconian
  • Of the Abyss
  • My posts are better.
« Reply #123 on: November 10, 2008, 08:15:09 AM »
Saw The Who tonight, opening act was good too: Inward Eye, good frontman, drummer, and lots of energy and stage presence, a real power trio, the kind of band you have to experience live to fully appreciate. They properly set the tone so The Who couldn't just come out like corpses, and they didn't disappoint, they still fucking got it, they're just older and more bitter. :guts:

Offline Uriel

• 天下無敵者
  • Of the Abyss
  • This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
« Reply #124 on: November 10, 2008, 12:54:16 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHyo33XLP24&fmt=18 = Skinny Love the way it should be sung.