What are you listening to? (general music thread)

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
I'm listening to right now : Mouth of the Architect. Awesome sludge post-metal band. And i'm waiting 3 cd I ordered : 2 Harkonen and the singer's new band called Helms Alee

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
Finally got around to listening to TVotR's Dear Science. I'm undecided, nothing really caught my attention except for DLZ, which I did like a lot. I also got Return to Cookie Mountain, but I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet.

The only other new (for me) band I've been listening to is The Sounds. I have to be in a certain mood to be able to listen to their first album Living in America, as the vocals sometimes grind on me. But I do like their other album, Dying to Say This to You, Tony the Beat and Painted By Numbers being my favorites on it.

[edit: I like Cookie Mountain a lot]

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I'm listening to Chinese Democracy... and I don't know what to think. There's simple sentiments and conclusions it would be all too comfortable to jump to, "it's crap," "it's awesome," because the truth is I find it and what it stands for both figuratively and literally offensive to my sensibilities, and yet genuinely impressive and compelling, sometimes for the same reasons. I honestly can't decide whether it's artistically bankrupt, an ambitious failure, some kind of insane masterpiece, or all of the above. Though, my confliction and the allure of its ambition has me leaning towards the latter; I'm just not sure I like it. =)

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
The new Virus album "The Black Flux" is great

308049948_l.jpg

X

Xem

One of my friends recently told me a news story of this bands lead singer being arrested for throwing donuts at cops and I felt the need to re-listen to their most recent release.

51TA49MTJ3L._SS500_.jpg

That's my main focus at the moment, but another friend recently gave me a 7' of Self Destruct, so as soon as I get a record player that'll be looping for a few hours. :zodd:

Now listening to good old Vision of Disorder first album and viewed their "Dead in New York" DVD yesterday, still excellent after all these years, definitely one of my classic band!

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I probably should have mentioned you can listen to the whole thing free on myspace here:

http://www.myspace.com/gunsnroses

Go to the music player and click this
m_895f7be345fb85cb8e2a72ac74fbd22f.jpg
underwhelming cover on the playlist selector (just to the left of the track listings) and the whole album will come up. Or just click on Appetite for Destruction. Whatever.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I thought I could give a quick review of Chinese Democracy. I can't. There's just too much here to say, and there's no getting around its unique production, decade-long history and overall hugeness. I know I won't do it justice. So here, listen to it on the link Griff listed above. Or just click the YouTube link here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_E2Ch2Las4 which has embedded links to all the songs. Make up your own minds.

It's the end of an era. Give it a try if only for that reason. Though it may have charted the course to a new and better music of tomorrow, I think this delayed release may instead just sink to the back of our minds as the moment we heard the final, banshee scream of rock n' roll.

Metallica's Death Magnetic might take a few listens to catch onto, it grows on you. But definitely one of the stand out tracks is "All Nightmare Long" well their releasing it as a single now. They made a video that is pretty cool. Clocking in @ 9:00's.

www.metallica.com

I'm not going to spoil anything. But I really enjoyed it. Nice style too.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
A friend just introduced me to Amadou & Mariam, as they came out with a new album (Welcome to Mali) last month. I gave it a listen and really enjoyed it, so I also picked up Wati and Dimanche à Bamako. I'm not really sure how I would describe their style, but it is sort of a world sound with various and interesting modern hooks in each of the songs, with fantastic vocals sealing the deal. I'd really recommend checking them out.

u1_AMADOU_MARIAM.jpg

Oburi

All praise Grail
I'd like to take one more opportunity to praise the Fleet Foxes album again. It's so perfect and I've been listening to it nonstop on my way back and forth to work. It's perfect for this time of the year and even though it's not christmas music, it kinda works. I can't seem to get the songs out of my head at all. So for what it's worth I highly reccomend the Fleet Foxes debut album.

I've been listening to Queen's The Prophet's Song continuously for the past few days. I've loved that song for years but I just learned the bass line and now I love the song even more.

X

Xem

Griffith said:
Doom II: Delta-Q-Delta

http://doom2.ocremix.org/

Man I love OCRemix, I used to have over 300 songs on my old harddrive before it died, I need to see if the package is still available for download. My favorites were Megaman - Cranium Castle, and FFIII - Death on the Snowfield.

What have they done to my precious Message of the Archvile!? Actually, some of those are pretty cool, but the originals still reign supreme.

Top Bottom