What are you listening to? (general music thread)

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Listening to some Led Zeppelin on my Ipod

led.gif

eminem_relapse-lg.jpg
Anyone else looking forward to Eminem's Relapse? I'll be buying it May 19th. Of course I already heard the whole thing. :void: I like it, more "Slim Shady" style. Rolling Stone gave it a 4/5.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
pippin22 said:
Rolling Stone gave it a 4/5.
Rolling Stone can suck my cock while apologizing for ruining the music industry. "MmfMmmfmfmmfff mf fmmmmmmmm fmoffy!"

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I'm rather indifferent, I'm interested in listening to it if given the opportunity, but I'm not going to run out and get it. Encore wasn't his best work following up The Eminem Show/8 Mile material, and so far it just seems like more of the same from him after his fake retirement (I guess he's come back to play it safe and try to pick up where he left off, except a little bit worse and little more out of touch). I already feel like he's not coming back as strong as he was at the height of his mania, so it might not be worth it to try the same thing. Crack a Bottle was fun for a club song, Relapse, the song itself, sucked, the same for 3am, and We Made You was totally unremarkable if it wasn't for Eminem doing his same old parody video, and if he's not careful those songs and videos will become strictly self-parodies if the mainstream turns on his antics. Other than that, I imagine the album will be rounded out with more songs about his mother, ex-wife and girlfriends, Proof's death, real and imagined feuds, absurd humor tracks, and one about how he really loves his daughter. So, in a sense, I've already heard it too. That being said, I'm basically more interested in the aftermath as far as Eminem's career and mainstream tastes go. Will he be accepted back and be able to do whatever he wants without question again, or will more people start to laugh at him, instead of with him? We'll find out May 19th.

pippin22 said:
Rolling Stone gave it a 4/5.

They gave Metallica's St. Anger a 4/5 too if I recall.

Walter said:
Rolling Stone can suck my cock while apologizing for ruining the music industry. "MmfMmmfmfmmfff mf fmmmmmmmm fmoffy!"

As with the above example, they're too busy sucking the cocks of the musical acts they predict will sell, regardless of the quality of their work, or even what they really think of it. It's not their fault really, it's the consumers, if they'd made the ideological choice to follow what they liked rather than what was currently popular, they'd be irrelevant.

Don't knock it till you rock it... Really, I was sceptical at first, since I hated Encore and thought little of The Eminem Show, but this is much better. There are some great tracks.

and so far it just seems like more of the same from him after his fake retirement

Yeah, you're right, considering the theme of Encore... What a joke that album was... I would assume, though, that he did plan to retire.
He spent the last few years being all kinds of messed up, which gives this album a fresh vibe.

Griffith said:
Other than that, I imagine the album will be rounded out with more songs about his mother, ex-wife and girlfriends, Proof's death, real and imagined feuds, absurd humor tracks, and one about how he really loves his daughter. So, in a sense, I've already heard it too.

There is talk about his mom, his ex-wife isn't mentioned, Proof isn't mentioned (except on line, where he blames his drug addiction on his death, only to say it's just an excuse, if I remember correctly. I thought that would be the focus of the album), very little humor and not much about his daughter.

I'm jammin' to it. :badbone:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
They must not be very good if they couldn't afford a better camera than a Polaroid for their album cover...

Currently compiling my favorite songs, which is an annual ritual I do to sort of capture my current tastes, and how it evolves from year to year (often embarassing in hindsight).

There are a few rules I observe when I compile my list:

1) 1 song per artist per CD - This is the most difficult, but also the most refreshing and rewarding. If you have a large variety of genres this could make for an interesting playlist.

2) CD-only, no MP3-compatible (CD or otherwise) - This rule limits the playlist to just about 15-17 songs per CD (assuming you listen to a bunch of artists). I prefer this so that one can't just get away with putting all of their favorite songs from each artist at once.

3) Once an artist has a song on one CD, the artist cannot appear again on a subsequent CD - Another tough one, but again I do this to promote variety in my music.

These are the basic rules I use. Feel free to use, improve, or simply mock my selection process. :troll:

Oh, and am currently listening to a lot of Ayaka, lately.

Walter said:
They must not be very good if they couldn't afford a better camera than a Polaroid for their album cover...
Oh Wally, you should know never to judge a book CD by it's cover! =)

Now Playing:
wolfgang_amadeus_phoenix.jpg

Oburi

All praise Grail
I gave the new Eminem a shot. Not as bad as I though. Its still nothing like his old stuff and only some of the tracks are actually good.

Edit- I also like the new Kings of Leon album, Only by Night!!

SimplyEd

エンシェント カタストロフィ
yota821 said:
Oh, and am currently listening to a lot of Ayaka, lately.

Ohhh! Nice choice there, i have to say!

Might i try to interest you in some Shigi perhaps? Because listening to her songs is my latest fad, oh yeah!

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Been hooked on Duvet by BOA, the opening theme to Serial Experiments Lain. I can't stop myself from just putting it on loop for like ten minutes while I browse the instawebs.
Also been listening to the Welcome to the NHK soundtrack a lot, especially Youkoso! Hitori Bocchi.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I have it, and I don't understand the appeal or the ridiculously rave review that Pitchfork gave it, treating it like it's the best thing to come out of this decade.

I guess I'm just not hip enough. :casca:

I AM however really digging the new Yeah Yeah Yeahs album "It's Blitz."

Walter said:
I guess I'm just not hip enough. :casca:
i'm beginning to think the same thing. :troll::slan:

Ah, I'm just teasin'. But, I honestly don't know why you still waste your time reading Pitchfork, you should know by now "Anything indie=better than you"

I AM however really digging the new Yeah Yeah Yeahs album "It's Blitz."
Now this threw me for a loop and I don't think I've gotten use to it yet. *shrug* i guess I need to listen to it more, or something, but I prefer their other sound. i guess i'm not hip enough. :guts:

I enjoyed the new greenday album, I don't enjoy the excessive radio play, but thats nothing new.

I've been diving into the deep cuts of Metallica's Load and Reload, you know if you were kinda sort a fan of new age, folk, hard rock cross overs, a lot of these songs are descent. I mean, I don't see a lot of them being played in their set list live, but maybe these would be good more a more laid back environment, maybe a club or a acoustic show. I.E. "Where the wild things are" "Outlaw torn" "Low Mans Lyrics" "Slither" etc.

Top Bottom