What are you listening to? (general music thread)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
He has such a large catalog i guess im just not sure where to begin.
Rain Dogs is one of his most consistently awesome albums, imo.

Here's the track I always play for Waits newcomers. It's a crowd-pleaser off "Real Gone" and titled Hoist That Rag: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xdMEm9i66g

I remember when I first heard his voice I was just cackling because I thought it was ridiculous. Then I paid attention and listened to more songs, and quickly fell in love with the guy. It sounds like an amateur cacophany to some, but it's all very carefully crafted.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Don't know how I didn't catch wind of this sooner but check this out...

vulture.jpg

Thats Dave Grohl (Nirvana, Foo Fighters) Josh Homme (Queens of the Stone Age) and john Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin) all together in a new band, Them Crooked Vultures.

themcrookedvultureso.jpg

I'm listening to it already and let me tell you this album is rockin. Its like some really classic Zeppelin tunes but with that weird creepy style of QofSA. I'm really happy about this. most of what I listen to is either indie stuff or old stuff (Dylan, The Beatles) but i miss the days when I used to rock out to Zeppelin and the Stones, well here is refreshing reminder thats sounds like that. It's a bit heavier and stranger as I said earlier, but still great.

Walter said:
Rain Dogs is one of his most consistently awesome albums, imo.

Here's the track I always play for Waits newcomers. It's a crowd-pleaser off "Real Gone" and titled Hoist That Rag: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xdMEm9i66g

I remember when I first heard his voice I was just cackling because I thought it was ridiculous. Then I paid attention and listened to more songs, and quickly fell in love with the guy. It sounds like an amateur cacophany to some, but it's all very carefully crafted.
Yeah, I think I've heard Rain Dogs before, and was intrigued back then, but I never made an effort to discover more of his catalogue. I was listening to NPR the other night, and I've recently become a fan of their program, The World Cafe, and Heartattack & Vine was featured, and I remember being stunned at how visceral it was; it literally sounds like he has a devil inside him, and I had doubts of as to who it could've been, but my first instinct when I had the chance was to see if Waits was the answer, and he was, and I applaud him.

Also, it's funny you mentioned Down by Law, Oburi, as I just the other day watched that film myself.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Anyone else have the new ALice in Chains song, check my brain, stuck in their head?

Also, it's funny you mentioned Down by Law, Oburi, as I just the other day watched that film myself.

Great film no? After Dead Man I think it's my favorite Jarmusch film.

X

Xem

dropkick%20murphs%20blackout.jpg

Dropkick Murphys - Blackout

I've been in desperate need of a good punk fix ever since my car's CD player died (again) and I since I haven't had any money to go to any shows in a while. Nothin' better to start it out with like some good ol' blue collar Irish fighting and drinking music!

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
I ended up seeing Local Natives live this past Monday, sadly I missed all but one of their songs. Since then, I've been listening to them. Really good band, check'em out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVMyHUgylkU&NR=1 - Airplanes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qeo36ZKJIQs&feature=channel Sun Hands [An amazing song to see and hear live]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wSkem9hgf4 - Strange Things

Oburi

All praise Grail
After listening to all the remastered Beatles albums I've come to the conclusion that Rubber Soul is my favorite.
rubbersoul.jpg

Followed closely by Sergeant Pepper...

I've had a little Beatlemania of my own lately, been listening and reading and watching everything in sight. And I been hearing Rubber Soul in my head all freakin day, it' getting annoying, this is becoming my favorite album ever. Haven't listened to a classic album this much since Dylan's Blond on Blond.

with songs like Girl, Michelle, In My Life, I'm Looking Through, Norwegian Wood, Think for Yourself and The Word its just so amazingly good. I believe this around the period when they first met Dylan too, and he famously introduced them to marijuana, though they didn't start using heavy drugs yet. What does this have to do with the album? I don't know but this is the first album to deviate from the typical boy and girl love song and get a little ... different. Anyway, if you haven't heard this yet, whether you like the Beatles or not, give it a shot.

Oburi said:
After listening to all the remastered Beatles albums I've come to the conclusion that Rubber Soul is my favorite.

After having listened to the album myself, I have no choice but to agree.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Hey Oburi, do you have The Complete Scores?

Anyway, listened to Them Crooked Vultures album on myspace the other night and it was cool, like another QoTSA album (it was different, but within the range of difference you'd expect from a band album to album), with some more classic rock/psychedelic elements, some moments reminded me of Cream. Gunman stood out to me for the particularly energetic main riff, it just made me want to pick up an electric guitar and jam, always a good sign.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
グリフィス said:

Anyway, listened to Them Crooked Vultures album on myspace the other night and it was cool, like another QoTSA album (it was different, but within the range of difference you'd expect from a band album to album), with some more classic rock/psychedelic elements, some moments reminded me of Cream. Gunman stood out to me for the particularly energetic main riff, it just made me want to pick up an electric guitar and jam, always a good sign.

I found it uninspired. Most songs sound like QoTSA leftovers. Even the Desert Sessions are better.

Griffith

NightCrawler said:
I found it uninspired. Most songs sound like QoTSA leftovers. Even the Desert Sessions are better.

I can't really argue, as I said, the only thing that really got my blood pumping during my listen through was Gunman, and it wasn't anything special. But who cares? As with most "supergroups," it couldn't live up to the impact of the creators previous works and the greater expectations of their talent combined, but if you just want to listen to a rock album, it's a good listen, and I haven't listened to it enough to judge further (of course, I don't feel compelled to either =).

Oburi

All praise Grail
グリフィス said:

No, but now that you bring it up, I'll add it to my xmas list :guts:

NightCrawler said:

I understand your point, but it's a lot different from QotSA and Desert Session (glad you even know what the desert sessions are). Those albums were always way more trippy, as Griffith said its just a good solid rock album. But I agree, I haven't felt compelled to listen it to it more.

Griffith

Oburi said:
No, but now that you bring it up, I'll add it to my xmas list :guts:

Yeah, it's a must have for Beatles fans (though not exactly great for sight reading as one could imagine), especially if you can get it on sale, or better yet, as a gift.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
I've been listening to a lot of albums I used to listen to all the time when I was back in high school. Stuff like Nine Inch Nails' "Pretty Hate Machine" and Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon"...

I've had the song "Us And Them" on repeat. It's pretty great and relaxing.

Oburi

All praise Grail
NightCrawler said:
Pop isn't weird.

She is really weird though, you see her at the VMA's? It was actually pretty entertaining considering nobody else dresses like that or bleeds all over the stage at a pop music award show anymore.

yesmilord said:
Don't shoot me. I like weird stuff, it's just how I roll.

I won't judge you man, there is something appealing about her to me. As much as I hate pop music and personally i think she looks like dude, she's got some catchy songs that I find myself singing on some days. I hate myself for it but what can I say, paparazzi gets stuck in my head. Haven't heard the new cd, but I'm sure once it hits the airwaves more I'll catch on.

Now where was I? o yea "I kissed a girl and I liked it..."

I'm retarted

yesmilord

千年王国
NightCrawler said:
Pop isn't weird.

Yea, as Oburi said, I wasn't referring to the music as much I was the lyrics and her style. It's just refreshing, although somewhat extreme, to see something a little different these days.

And Oburi, her new CD puts the last to shame. I really, really like it. :ubik:

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Yeah, a little weird, but she still sounds mediocre. The main problem is that I've heard a lot of her music at clubs without knowing it, I just can't tell her apart from the other 10 musicians they have set on loop for the night.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Yeah, a little weird, but she still sounds mediocre. The main problem is that I've heard a lot of her music at clubs without knowing it, I just can't tell her apart from the other 10 musicians they have set on loop for the night.

Yup same here. It wasn't until later when people told me who she was and what songs she did that I began to recognize her.

I can't believe we are discussing Lady Gaga on skullknight.net

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Bob Lennon by Endou Kenji(Naoki Urasawa)
Yeah, that's right, the mangaka of 20th Century Boys performed a song from the manga, and it sounds pretty damn awesome. :badbone:

Top Bottom