What are you listening to? (general music thread)

gorillaz-plastic-beach.jpg

Rhombaad said:
I'm listening to the all-time classic...

2012y.jpg

EDIT: Picture wasn't showing up for some reason.

It's a fucking good album ! (Cemetery Gates, I love this track)
I'm listening to "Vulgar Display of Power" right now ! :guts:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Wow, I almost posted the Plastic Beach album again (can't believe I missed it). Anyway, I'm really groovin to it. Smitenheimer is right, its much more subdued, like they are holding back, and some songs don't work to well, but still a real treat. Good to see the guys (guy) back in action :guts:

X

Xem

The classics...

acollectionofpopclassics.jpg

I sometimes forget how good the "oldies" can be, even if not-as-relevant anymore. So good you could slap yo mamma!

New Bright Eyes song:

http://www.youtube.com/v/yqwbUYWVGyE?f=videos&c=ytapi-iLikeInc-iLike-1493oebb-0&d=AbzsdEu9A2kwQxMBPfYLdoQO88HsQjpE1a8d1GxQnGDm&app=youtube_gdata

Oburi

All praise Grail
Ok I seriously can't wait for this
mgmtcongratulationsj.jpg

It's the new MGMT album coming out on April 13. Also, I thought I had heard just about everything from these guys but I missed this great 14 minute epic that came off the Time to pretend EP http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-ZIPKxqdKA

I'm re-listening to them in preparation for the new album!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
You can hear the full album on their website. Ive been listening to it for about 2 weeks.

http://www.whoismgmt.com/

So far I have to say it's not as good as the previous album. This one's not very diverse, or daring. The surfer-rock vibe of the album cover is shared by the tone of the music throughout the album. Two of the tracks are throwaways (Brian Eno and Lady DaDa's Nightmare). Why are they wasting space on their album with unfunny, unlistenable pop references?

Oburi

All praise Grail
Yea I want the actual album though. Mostly I listen to stuff on my 30 minute commute to work.

I heard that it wasn't as good as their debut, but I also think that their last album had a few throwaways too. At least two songs towards the end that were just forgettable. But I do hate pop references so that sucks.

Walter said:
You can hear the full album on their website. Ive been listening to it for about 2 weeks.

http://www.whoismgmt.com/

So far I have to say it's not as good as the previous album. This one's not very diverse, or daring. The surfer-rock vibe of the album cover is shared by the tone of the music throughout the album. Two of the tracks are throwaways (Brian Eno and Lady DaDa's Nightmare). Why are they wasting space on their album with unfunny, unlistenable pop references?

Word. The whole thing's boring, if you ask me. I loved their last one, and was surprised by this newest effort: first, that it was even out; second, that it was such a misstep.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
The two standout tracks for me, that I always listen to when I put the album on, are It's Working, and Flash Delirium (which has a hilarious and bizarre music video on the site, btw). The others are pretty meh.

As for the throwaway tracks on Oracular Spectacular, the only one I skip is Weekend Wars. The rest of that album is gold, in my opinion. Especially the last few (give The Handshake a chance to get moving, and it's great).

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
I haven't heard the new album yet, but a friend of mine caught an interview or something they did awhile back. From the sound of it their goal was to purposefully avoid the style of their more popular songs for the new album. Glad to know they succeeded?

Oburi

All praise Grail
Whaaaat!? Weekend Wars is one of my favorites! The only ones I skip are 4th dimension and yes... the Handshake. I felt like the second half of that album loses it's steam. The instrumental in Moons birds and monsters is amazing though.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Scorpio said:
I haven't heard the new album yet, but a friend of mine caught an interview or something they did awhile back. From the sound of it their goal was to purposefully avoid the style of their more popular songs for the new album. Glad to know they succeeded?
By popular songs, I assume they mean "Kids," but I was never a big fan of that song anyway. Whether or not this album is congruent with the tone of the last album is irrelevant. Plain and simple, this album just isn't very good. Give Brian Eno a whirl and tell me what you think.

I can get Oracular Spectacular for £3 (about $4.5) here worth it?

I'm currently listening to PlayRadioPlay, wondering how Paolo Nutini is a young Scottish guy and have Divine wings of tragedy awaiting me in the car

Oburi

All praise Grail
After a few listens of MGMT's Congratulations I'll admit i'm hooked. At first I was a little put off at how different it was, but after giving it a chance and repeated listens I'm totally addicted to it. Walter's right about the throwaway tracks, Brian Eno is just terrible, but the first 6 tacks and the last one are brilliant. I can't wait to get out of work so I can listen to it :guts:

Top Bottom