What are you listening to? (general music thread)

Yeah you're right, it definitely doesn't live up to the past releases. Oh well, it ain't as bad as the new Morbid Angel though. The previews for that along with the song by song review I read online from the guitarist of Mithras (who's a long time Morbid Angel fan) has left my chances of pre-ordering the album deflated *sigh*. The new Putridity though packs a punch!

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Devin Townsend Project - Deconstruction

2756408291.jpg

01. Praise The Lowered (6:02)
02. Stand (9:36)
03. Juula (3:46)
04. Planet Of The Apes (10:59)
05. Summera (6:37)
06. The Mighty Masturbator (16:28)
07. Pandemic (3:29)
08. Deconstruction (9:27)
09. Poltergeist (4:25)

"Deconstruction" guest musicians:

* Mikael Åkerfeldt (OPETH, BLOODBATH)
* Ihsahn (EMPEROR)
* Tommy Rogers (BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME)
* Joe Duplantier (GOJIRA)
* Greg Puciato (THE DILLINGER ESCAPE PLAN)
* Floor Jansen (AFTER FOREVER, REVAMP)
* Oderus Urungus (GWAR)
* Paul Masvidal (CYNIC)
* Fredrik Thordendal (MESHUGGAH)

:isidro: :isidro: :isidro: :isidro:

This album is a turbo mindfuck!

Dude, the album is damn good! I love listening to it loud on my headphones and this's probably his most complex (musically) album so far. I knew Fredrik was on it but didn't know the others were.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Has anyone heard the new Fleet Foxes album Helplessness Blues? Unfortunately I haven't had a chance yet but I imagine it's really amazing, given that its recieving great reviews and the fact that their debut album was one of the finest debut albums I've ever heard from a band. So far I've only heard the title track (it's pretty amazing), but I want to listen to the album from start to finish as a whole.

Mastodonremission.jpg

Never been too fond of these guys, but at least they've got awesome album covers. Making an exploding horse into an artistic statement like this shows true class.

Saephon

Die young and save yourself
color-spec.jpg

9 EPs, each inspired by a color. A huge variety of musical styles and moods here; I love this collection. Been playing it nonstop this week.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Saephon said:
9 EPs, each inspired by a color. A huge variety of musical styles and moods here; I love this collection. Been playing it nonstop this week.

Just checked it out and it is pretty neat, thanks for bringing it up.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I've been listening to several podcasts recently. Two of my favorites are WTF with Marc Maron and Doug Loves Movies. They make the work day go by much faster.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
I've been listening to several podcasts recently. Two of my favorites are WTF with Marc Maron and Doug Loves Movies. They make the work day go by much faster.
Marc Maron's podcast is great, though it has hills and valleys depending on how open his interviewees are. I like how he can seamlessly go from comedy to seriously pointed questions. To be honest though, after hitting the highlights, Robin Williams, Mencia, Louis CK, Apatow, Gallagher, it's tough to slog through some of the other no-name stand up comedians who are really just plugging their new set. It's best when he seeks someone out and they have a personal talk with some laughs and history about their career paths.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Walter said:
Marc Maron's podcast is great, though it has hills and valleys depending on how open his interviewees are. I like how he can seamlessly go from comedy to seriously pointed questions. To be honest though, after hitting the highlights, Robin Williams, Mencia, Louis CK, Apatow, Gallagher, it's tough to slog through some of the other no-name stand up comedians who are really just plugging their new set. It's best when he seeks someone out and they have a personal talk with some laughs and history about their career paths.

I agree. Some of the episodes are ho hum, but still have a few laughs. Others, however, are hilarious and very moving sometimes. The interview with Mike DeStefano had me wiping away tears (of sadness) by the end of it. I was horrified to learn he passed away from a heart attack of all things not long after I listened to it. The guy had a very tough life.

The Carlos Mencia interviews were exactly what I expected. The poor guy is completely out of his mind. He doesn't even seem to realize what he's doing or that it's wrong. And Dane Cook really came off like a jackass, which surprised me. While his comedy may not be the best anymore (I enjoyed his first album), I figured he was a pretty cool guy, not some arrogant douchebag.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
I figured he was a pretty cool guy, not some arrogant douchebag.
Really? Haha, I thought him being a douchebag was part of his schtick. Most comedians hate him because he doesn't really do jokes in the traditional sense. He does exaggerated voices and likes to enunciate certain words for laughs, but doesn't actually deliver any punchlines. When you laugh, you're usually laughing at his voice, not the joke itself. I find some of his stuff funny, yes generally the earlier material. But overall he can be grating after a few minutes. A full set? Forget about it...

I really recommend the Judd Apatow one, because it's really three interviews in one. Apatow has tapes he recorded when he was a teenager in the '80s and scored full interviews with Jerry Seinfeld and Jay Leno. It's just mesmerizing.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Hey, we're talkin' podcasts! In addition to WTF I also enjoy the BS Report, The Adam Carolla Show, and FitzDog Radio. They frequently guest each others shows as well, I remember Maron and Fitzsimmons having a fantastically awkward show that almost resulted in a fistfight when Fitzsimmons told Maron he didn't like him personally and thought he was a bad person, but would rather hang out and talk with someone like him than a "nice person" because he was so honest, intelligent, and interesting. Maron, understandably, didn't take it as a compliment. But, of course neither backed down and they eventually talked it out intelligently and were more fascinating for it. You're hard pressed to find conversation like that on radio or television anymore, which was Fitzsimmons' point to a degree.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Walter said:
Really? Haha, I thought him being a douchebag was part of his schtick. Most comedians hate him because he doesn't really do jokes in the traditional sense. He does exaggerated voices and likes to enunciate certain words for laughs, but doesn't actually deliver any punchlines. When you laugh, you're usually laughing at his voice, not the joke itself. I find some of his stuff funny, yes generally the earlier material. But overall he can be grating after a few minutes. A full set? Forget about it...

Yeah, for some reason he just didn't seem that cocky to me. I figured it was part of his schtick and not part of him as a person. How wrong I was...

Walter said:
I really recommend the Judd Apatow one, because it's really three interviews in one. Apatow has tapes he recorded when he was a teenager in the '80s and scored full interviews with Jerry Seinfeld and Jay Leno. It's just mesmerizing.

The Apatow one was great. I recently went back and listened to every one Maron has produced. I really liked the Bob Rock one, too. Some of the funniest stuff happens before the interviews even begin. Listening to his neurotic recollections of the previous few days has me cracking up most of the time. I still chuckle when I think of him stealing that vegetable from Whole Foods (mentioned in Episode 1).

Griffith said:
They frequently guest each others shows as well, I remember Maron and Fitzsimmons having a fantastically awkward show that almost resulted in a fistfight when Fitzsimmons told Maron he didn't like him personally and thought he was a bad person, but would rather hang out and talk with someone like him than a "nice person" because he was so honest, intelligent, and interesting. Maron, understandably, didn't take it as a compliment. But, of course neither backed down and they eventually talked it out intelligently and were more fascinating for it. You're hard pressed to find conversation like that on radio or television anymore, which was Fitzsimmons' point to a degree.

The Fitzsimmons/Marc Maron argument was very entertaining. Personally, I think they're both right. :guts:

God_Dethroned_-_Ravenous.jpg

This is probably their best moment. It was more melodic than I had expected, and with much more intensity and punch than most melodeath. I like.

I owned 3 God Dethroned albums and only kept Ravenous because they're a band where the music gets old and boring once you know the album in n' out. Ravenous is strictly decent. I'm not a fan of Melodic DM >_>' or cheesy Power metal.

Funebrarum+-+Conjuration+of+the+Sepulchral.jpg

Love Funebrarum's cover of Abhorrence's Caught in a Vortex. I'm still kicking myself for losing my Abhorrence bid-war (because of the stupid subway delay) on Ebay for their S/T EP on Vinyl.

Oburi

All praise Grail
ofmicementhefloodcover.jpg

Awesome post-hardcore album from these guys.

This isn't a good song to represent the rest of the album, but damn if it isn't good - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzuoQIR2t8Y

Can't wait to see these guys again on Warped tour next month. Anyone else going btw?

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Needing a fix of oldschool thrash. What best than the Unholy Trinity of 1986:

Slayer - Reign in Blood
Kreator - Pleasure to Kill
Dark Angel - Darkness Descends

Yes, no Master of Puppets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtRDX9gBeRc

Top Bottom