Age of Conan

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Jesus man, that's ludicrous. Im level 23 and I do on average 80 damage per attack. Crit for ~180.

Well that's the HoX's combos for you. But the problem for him is that by the time he does it, you'll have stunned/knockbacked his ass to death and back (well, if you play your class like a champ). :guts:

I haven't fought against a HoX yet, but I'm curious to see how I'd fare. I'd be quite tricky against a skilled player I think.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
It seems to play this game effectively, you have to play by the rules of the masses, and that is GROUP and GANK. After being killed mercilessly for the 30th time by higher-level players, I was almost ready to reroll on a PvE server. Then I thought, hey, maybe I should get in a group. (:???:) The only way I was able to survive in Conall's Valley in Cimmeria was to group with my guild and kill everyone in sight. The atmosphere on my server is similar to 1up.com's review of the game:

"As I tromp through a haunted forest, two players approach and pause to watch me for a while -- a move so subtle that they might as well be thugs sizing me up from a dimly lit alleyway. I can tell that they're anxiously debating whether or not they should jump me because, well, everyone on Tyranny is in a constant internal debate over whether or not they should be whaling on the player closest to them. The decision is made for them when a waddling corpse goes aggro on me, and the punks ratchet up enough courage to attack a preoccupied opponent. Needless to say, I'm hosed."
That being said, when I was finally able to survive for more than 5 minutes without getting ganked, it IS a lot of fun. Plus some of my class abilities are only usable in groups. So, I'm enjoying it now, I just don't like to be forced to play unchivalrously. And the move these fuckers pulled in the quote above, I would not want any part of. That's just plain despicable.

Walter said:
It seems to play this game effectively, you have to play by the rules of the masses, and that is GROUP and GANK. After being killed mercilessly for the 30th time by higher-level players, I was almost ready to reroll on a PvE server. Then I thought, hey, maybe I should get in a group. (:???:) The only way I was able to survive in Conall's Valley in Cimmeria was to group with my guild and kill everyone in sight. The atmosphere on my server is similar to 1up.com's review of the game:
That being said, when I was finally able to survive for more than 5 minutes without getting ganked, it IS a lot of fun. Plus some of my class abilities are only usable in groups. So, I'm enjoying it now, I just don't like to be forced to play unchivalrously. And the move these fuckers pulled in the quote above, I would not want any part of. That's just plain despicable.

That's how Dark Age of Camelot (and probably all MMOs) is too. I used to think that way but realized you have to channel your inner asshole to succeed. Kill people who are lot lower than you in levels. Taunt their corpses until they respawn/release. Hell, I didn't feel like I was doing my job until people would single me out and try to kill me, even if it meant their entire group would get wiped out (and taunted for good measure). I'm convinced the point of PvP in MMOs isn't to kill other players or rack up points, it's to force one other player to have to go on blood pressure medications. :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
That's not really how I get my kicks. If I win in a fair fight, or even if I just barely lose in a heated battle against someone, Im riveted. If I kill off a higher level player picking on a lower one, I get excited.

But pillaging low-level towns, spawn points, and guarding quest objectives just to annoy players doesn't do anything for me but make me lose sleep and hours I could have spent leveling up in an appropriate zone.

Walter said:
That's not really how I get my kicks. If I win in a fair fight, or even if I just barely lose in a heated battle against someone, Im riveted. If I kill off a higher level player picking on a lower one, I get excited.

I feel the exact same way, my friend.

pillaging low-level towns, spawn points, and guarding quest objectives just to annoy players

Wow, those are some huge douche moves. I'd have no problem killing those people off.

You guys make this game sound so good. I need to get it.... I'm a little hesitant though over something that sounds really stupid. The fact the game's three races are all humans. Do they have varied strengths and weaknesses like games with multiple races or do all three have the same stats? Is there any variation between the three races or is it just that some races have race-specific classes and start out in different areas? I know, it's stupid but it's been nagging me in the back of my head.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:

But pillaging low-level towns, spawn points, and guarding quest objectives just to annoy players doesn't do anything for me but make me lose sleep and hours I could have spent leveling up in an appropriate zone.

You have to give yourself an objective. Find a guild of gankers, and kill those guys on sight (when you can). Even the low levels. They're gankers and proud of it, and they also get their kick out of being outlaws. Also, if a zone is really filled to the brim with ganking, try another one. Khopshef Province or the Wild Lands of Zelata for example. Or you can spend some time in an instance to level quietly. Those are just ideas like that, but I think there's always a way to get around.

El Gaucho Rojo said:
You guys make this game sound so good. I need to get it.... I'm a little hesitant though over something that sounds really stupid. The fact the game's three races are all humans. Do they have varied strengths and weaknesses like games with multiple races or do all three have the same stats? Is there any variation between the three races or is it just that some races have race-specific classes and start out in different areas? I know, it's stupid but it's been nagging me in the back of my head.

The 3 different cultures aren't so different from each other. They don't have different stats or abilities, but classes are restricted to some cultures. Only Stygians can be mages for exemple, and they can't be soldiers. Other than that, all players start in the same area: Tortage. However, once you leave it, you will return to your country's capital city. Khemi for Stygians, Tarantia for Aquilonians, and Cornach Village for Cimmerians.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Welp, I am an alt whore and have tons of them. My main is a 26 Ranger and it aint too shabby. Crossbow just molesticates a lot of people that are not wearing heavy and full plate armor. Other then that I love the game. I am excited to see this game as it gets more polished. I just think its a funny that a lot of people are bitching about the lack of things that are in the game or the things that are not working correctly.

It's if it's their first time playing an MMO or they seem to have this believe that all their other previous MMO's were perfect from the get go. Anyways, Walter, are you part of the Hordes of Goonheim?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I actually was attacked by a level 78 (:isidro:) Ranger yesterday while getting a quest from an NPC, but I managed to jump out a high window into a nearby river (like in Braveheart, actually, only my wang wasnt flopping in the breeze) and escape his attack. He hit me about three times, and my health went from 1700 to 100. Fucking asshole, I was only level 26 then...

And yeah, Saiya, im in the Horde. Though so far Ive only successfully grouped with them twice. Most of the guys are higher level than me. I can only play for like 2 hours a day.

SaiyajinNoOuji

Walter said:
I actually was attacked by a level 78 (:isidro:) Ranger yesterday while getting a quest from an NPC, but I managed to jump out a high window into a nearby river (like in Braveheart, actually, only my wang wasnt flopping in the breeze) and escape his attack. He hit me about three times, and my health went from 1700 to 100. Fucking asshole, I was only level 26 then...

And yeah, Saiya, im in the Horde. Though so far Ive only successfully grouped with them twice. Most of the guys are higher level than me. I can only play for like 2 hours a day.
Haha, well at least you escaped and maybe swam UP STREAM? Also you could still level with them in a way with the apprenticeship option. You are leveling in the Connally Valle area? That is where I am at as well but since my main is a Stigian, I think im going to go its equivalent area and do the quests in there.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
SaiyajinNoOuji-Trading Cards said:
Haha, well at least you escaped and maybe swam UP STREAM? Also you could still level with them in a way with the apprenticeship option. You are leveling in the Connally Valle area? That is where I am at as well but since my main is a Stigian, I think im going to go its equivalent area and do the quests in there.

Actually, the streams provide some nice shortcuts at times in Conall's Valley. Of course you have to be careful or you'll jump to your death, but I think it's worth it. Anyway Saiya, I'm not sure you'd gain much by going to Khopshef Province right now (plus you can always do its quests later on). The Ymirish quests are pretty cool once you reach level 30, more interesting than the Pyramid ones. My favorite remains the Wild Lands though, especially with Sanctum of the Burning Souls as its final questing instance.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know about other servers, but on Deathwisper Wildlands of Zelata is easily the most gank-intensive zone. It's pure chaos. I asked several people how long it's been like that and the consistent response is: since beta.

Im really digging Conall's Valley, especially its whole up-and-down approach during combat. As Aaz said, if you're climbing or descending the mountain, you can actually use the terrain in limited ways during the fight if you need an escape, or even to your advanage offensively by knocking fuckers off cliffs with knockback abilities

Think Hans Grueber.

SaiyajinNoOuji

Walter said:
I don't know about other servers, but on Deathwisper Wildlands of Zelata is easily the most gank-intensive zone. It's pure chaos. I asked several people how long it's been like that and the consistent response is: since beta.

Im really digging Conall's Valley, especially its whole up-and-down approach during combat. As Aaz said, if you're climbing or descending the mountain, you can actually use the terrain in limited ways during the fight if you need an escape, or even to your advanage offensively by knocking fuckers off cliffs with knockback abilities

Think Hans Grueber.
Funny you should mention that last bit but another goon and I were pvp'ing up there and this level 28 charged him, the guy was facing the other goon and his back was to the ledge so the goon knocked him down and he just flew over the cliff to his death. Yea, that guy never came back. :ganishka:

Good times had by all.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, even if it were me tossed from a cliff to my death, Id at least get a laugh out of the whole thing. :guts: Fun game when people aren't being pigs.

PS:
aoc_what.jpg

I don't think I ever want to know what the hell this guy is babbling about.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
I don't think I ever want to know what the hell this guy is babbling about.

Will you lose respect for me if I say I have absolutely no problem understanding it? :judo:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I realized I hadn't shown off any pics of my Conqueror yet, so here we go. Nothing too special. Just threw these together.

vanir_gear.jpg

My Vanir Champion's gear. Finally, at level 30, a decent-looking set of armor.

showingoff.jpg

Just me showing off and looking like a tool while Uncle Fester over there looks wary. This is the outskirts of Tarantia.

corpsetree.jpg

A corpse tree ala Berserk in Conall's Valley, Cimmeria.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Neat gear, though not heavy enough for my taste (and that'll change soon enough). :guts: I'll take a screenshot of my character and post it when I get home tonight.

EDIT:

equip1.jpg
equip2.jpg
equip3.jpg

Here is my level 46 Guardian, Tellis, at the tree of woe at about 2 in the morning (game time):

tellisatthetree3.jpg

I had to scale it down a tad to fit the forum ok, but click here for the original :carcus:

- C

SaiyajinNoOuji

Well how about we see how everyone is doing with the game. It has been out for a bit more then a month. I know there have been a few issues from patches that a lot of people are complaining about.

Most of them for the most part don't really effect me at this time and I am still enjoying the game for the most part. As a Barbarian I think its pretty crappy what has happened with Final Blow. It used to be that on a successful knock down I would run up to the target and smash them for a good chunk of damage.... now I have to wait for them to get up and when I did do the move it does damage that is less then a regular attack.

I respecced out of that garbage real quick.... other then that I dont have too many complaints. Has anyone quit already from this game from these boards? Bitches-moans-complaints?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I've been level 80 with my Dark Templar for a little while. I'm in a small guild of friendly people, enjoying it and right now we're in the process of getting more people in, getting those we have to 80 and building our tier 3 guild city so that we can take one of the last few empty Battle Keeps on the server. We had a few wars with other guilds but they're now over (for the moment at least), one of the bigger guilds on the server having actually asked us to stop (:badbone:). We still have a ganker guild on the KOS list (and vice versa) but they're not often around.

Haven't really extensively raided yet or anything. What I deplore: still a lot of issues with the DT feat tree, though it's playable. The inability to fight with fellow guild members since the last patch, now that's just completely retarded without a proper duel system being in place. And of course, the newly added delay to melee hits (from 1.2 to 2.0 seconds) which makes all my combos real slow (same for everyone).

What I'm looking forward to: Sieging, more World PvP once we get other wars going (this is the best of part of the game as far as I'm concerned :guts:), and doing each raid instance at least a few times.

SaiyajinNoOuji

Aazealh said:
I've been level 80 with my Dark Templar for a little while. I'm in a small guild of friendly people, enjoying it and right now we're in the process of getting more people in, getting those we have to 80 and building our tier 3 guild city so that we can take one of the last few empty Battle Keeps on the server. We had a few wars with other guilds but they're now over (for the moment at least), one of the bigger guilds on the server having actually asked us to stop (:badbone:). We still have a ganker guild on the KOS list (and vice versa) but they're not often around.

Haven't really extensively raided yet or anything. What I deplore: still a lot of issues with the DT feat tree, though it's playable. The inability to fight with fellow guild members since the last patch, now that's just completely retarded without a proper duel system being in place. And of course, the newly added delay to melee hits (from 1.2 to 2.0 seconds) which makes all my combos real slow (same for everyone).

What I'm looking forward to: Sieging, more World PvP once we get other wars going (this is the best of part of the game as far as I'm concerned :guts:), and doing each raid instance at least a few times.

Sounds like an excellent time! Yea DT's I view as a big annoyance, much like Guardians, in the sense that it takes for ever to bring your health down.

I find it funny that you had a guild actually tell you to stop killing them. I am enjoying the PvP in this game quite a bit, well I should say that I enjoy the way you fight in PvP to be enjoyable. The need to actually time your combo's and hits to the person moving around while using the terrain to your advantage. With that I do not like how there is nothing to show forth from it... sure a reputation is something but I could deal with at least getting a title or something that I can show off.

I hope the new PvP system that is being developed and hopefully being deployed before August solves a lot of the other issues that PvP has (bugged sieges and more class balancing).

Im also rather miffed that I spent 3g on getting mount when the next day they put the patch in which lowers the cost of all that stuff by 50% :judo:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like an excellent time! Yea DT's I view as a big annoyance, much like Guardians, in the sense that it takes for ever to bring your health down.

Yeah in Defensive Stance and coupled with the right feats it can be quite difficult even in cases of 2 vs 1. But to make any real damage we need to go into Frenzy Stance, and that's when we can get hurt real bad.

I find it funny that you had a guild actually tell you to stop killing them.

Well you know I can sometimes be relentless (trading cards!). :ganishka:

I am enjoying the PvP in this game quite a bit, well I should say that I enjoy the way you fight in PvP to be enjoyable. The need to actually time your combo's and hits to the person moving around while using the terrain to your advantage. With that I do not like how there is nothing to show forth from it... sure a reputation is something but I could deal with at least getting a title or something that I can show off.

I hope the new PvP system that is being developed and hopefully being deployed before August solves a lot of the other issues that PvP has (bugged sieges and more class balancing).

Yeah hopefully the PvP XP will get implemented soon, that's mostly what I'm after.

Im also rather miffed that I spent 3g on getting mount when the next day they put the patch in which lowers the cost of all that stuff by 50% :judo:

Hehe well I'd already got mine for over a month so I can't complain. Rather, I'm happy that getting a Swift Horse is now possible if difficult, as opposed to the impossibly high prices they were at previously.

I have a Guardian and a Tempest of Set, my two favorite characters. I have tried all the classes, these just suit my fancy. :carcus:

I have three operating systems and tried it on each to see which goes around the memory leak problem they are working on the best, and here are my findings:

Xp 64bit with 4 gigs of ram:
Plays on high, but suffers from low fps with shadows on. Turn them off, wonderful even with the particles on high. Randonly crashes, requiring a hard restart from about 30 min - 3 hours after starting.

Vista 32 bit with 3 gigs of ram(laptop):
Very similar to Xp 64, same with shadows on and off. have been playing it for weeks with only one crash. Much more stable for vista.

Vista ultimate 64bit with 4 gigs of ram:
Plays on high, shadows and particles on full, bloom on. Everything perfect. Between 35 - 70 fps, depending on when in cities or not. has not crashed even once because of memory leaks. They are still there, but the operating system, plus the ram, plus the two 8800 cards in sli mode knock out the problem. I play on this the most, obviously.

I have all my character slots full, and play different characters randomly as I am always getting new friends who want to play. My highest character is level 46, my Guardian. I have had a blast and can't wait to delve into more of the game as they add more features and fixes. I read the forum a bit at work, the AoC forum, and see the fixes they are working on and features they are adding.

It is very fun and enjoyable, even with the few glitches I have played with. just like any new MMO, I'm sure they will iron it out. :guts:

- C

Top Bottom