Criterion to go Blu...

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Colour me excited...

criterioncollectionbluebm9.jpg

Though I'm very, very happy with all my DVD's from Criterion, I can't help but get a little giddy at the idea of Kurosawa movies being done over into full glory. The Yojimbo/Sanjuro enhanced versions already look good enough, but my imagination can still get away from me. I know only a few of the members here have a Blu-ray player, but a know a couple of CC's fans will be happy about this for their possibly future purchases.

CnC

Ad Oculos
ooh... Last Emperor on Blu-ray should be awesome. Been meaning to pick that up but I'll wait for the HD version, now. :badbone:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, The Last Emperor and The 400 Blows are the only ones on the list that really jump out at me as being cool for BluRay. That could swiftly change when/if they secure a 1080 release of SEVEN SAMURAI :isidro:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Nice! I'll hold off on picking up the current CC version of Seven Samurai and wait for a Blu-ray release. I haven't seen any of the movies on this list, though. Which ones do you guys recommend?

CnC

Ad Oculos
Rhombaad said:
Which ones do you guys recommend?

I haven't seen all of them, either, but I'd fathom that all of them are probably good. If you got a good TV then Last Emperor should be very pretty to look at (if memory serves).

And if you got a good sound system then Gimme Shelter will be awesome.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
Nice! I'll hold off on picking up the current CC version of Seven Samurai and wait for a Blu-ray release.
Well, it hasn't been confirmed yet. It's just inevitable, with the way Criterion releases movies, and since Seven Samurai is one of their top-sellers, one can only guess it would be soon.

That being said, I don't know of a better transfer that exists of the movie. And Criterion's most recent (2007) rerelease of Seven Samurai was from a recent Japanese transfer, done independant of Criterion. So... a BLURAY quality transfer could be in the works for a while. But Im not completely sure how these things are done.

Uriel

I thought Walkabout was a great movie too.

As for Seven Samurai... well, that'd be an instant hit. Hopefully they'd make it a nice package without the BLUE-RAY all over it.

The Last Emperor should be amazing. $40 is fair, but I'll still look around for a better deal!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Uriel said:
Hopefully they'd make it a nice package without the BLUE-RAY all over it.
This is Criterion we're talking about here, the MASTERS of DVD packaging. They'll whip up something to make all the film dorks drool, Im sure.

Walter said:
That could swiftly change when/if they secure a 1080 release of SEVEN SAMURAI :isidro:
Fuck yes. I have maybe 15-20 CC's and maybe only 5-7 Blu Ray titles.
Not looking forward to buying movies I already have on Blu-ray even if they are CC. But I know myself, I'll make exceptions.

CC Blu-Ray I'd want:
Life Aquatic
Royal Tenenbaums
Rushmore
Ikiru
Seven Samurai
Sanjuro/Yojimbo

I'm sure there's more, but I gotta head to work...

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
This is awesome news indeed, but I'm still collecting Criterions on dvd! Plus, I still have yet to get a high-def television so these won't really help me any. I'd still buy Seven Samurai just to have it, when I do get a new tv it'll be the first thing I watch! :guts:

So far my most prized criterion dvds are Seven Samurai, Yojimbo/Sanjuro, Red Beard, Fear and Loathing (awesome packaging), and Life Aquatic.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Yea I also am still trying to keep up with the criterion dvd's. I don't have the money to get all my favorite dvd's from criterion nevermind blu ray.

Uriel

Well, this was a nice surprise when my wife told me about it today:

[quote author=Criterion Collection]

March is Akira Kurosawa month at Criterion. On the twenty-third, the great Japanese filmmaker would have been one hundred years old.

38443088.jpg

* Restored high-definition digital transfers (with uncompressed monaural soundtracks on the Blu-ray editions)
* Optional Dolby Digital 3.0 soundtracks, preserving the original Perspecta simulated sound effects (DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray edition)
* Audio commentaries by Kurosawa scholar Stephen Prince
* Documentaries on the making of Yojimbo and Sanjuro, created as part of the Toho Masterworks series Akira Kurosawa: It Is Wonderful to Create
* Theatrical teasers and trailers
* Stills galleries of behind-the-scenes photos
* New and improved English subtitle translation
* PLUS: Booklets featuring essays by film writers Alexander Sesonske and Michael Sragow and comments from Kurosawa and members of his cast

[/quote]

So, basically the same as the DVD box set, which I own. This puppy comes out tomorrow -- I've already ordered it =)

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Should I rent before I buy? I've never seen them, but I loved Seven Samurai and am a huge Kurosawa/Mifune fan. :serpico:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
It's worth it for Yojimbo, which is a fantastic movie. Sanjuro, a sequel/prequel of sorts, isn't as special, and is one of Kurosawa's most ho-hum movies.

And yeah, in case you didn't notice it, tomorrow is Kurosawa's 100th birthday.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Walter said:
It's worth it for Yojimbo, which is a fantastic movie. Sanjuro, a sequel/prequel of sorts, isn't as special, and is one of Kurosawa's most ho-hum movies.

Awesome, I'll add Yojimbo to my list.

Walter said:

Happy birthday, Kurosawa-sensei!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Every Criterion Co. DVD and BluRay is on sale at Barnes and Nobles.com for 50% off until August 1.

http://video.barnesandnoble.com/u/DVD-The-Criterion-Collection-of-Special-Edition-DVDs/379000756/?cds2Pid=16642&linkid=1546851

Seven Samurai 3-disc collection: $20
Brazil: $20
Yojimbo/Sanjuro collection: $35
Samurai Trilogy: $35

Some amazing deals out there.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Re: Criterion to go Hulu...

http://www.criterion.com/current/posts/1753-a-long-time-coming said:
Starting today, there are more than 150 of our most important films online on the Hulu Plus subscription service. Over the coming months, that number will swell to more than 800 films. For the true cinephile, this should be a dream come true. On Hulu Plus, you’ll find everything in our library, from Academy Award winners to many of the most famous films by art-house superstars like Ingmar Bergman, Akira Kurosawa, and Federico Fellini to films so rare that they have never been seen in the U.S. in any medium.

http://www.hulu.com/criterion

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, the sheer amount available! I came here to post that these have been on Netflix instant view for a while, but they don't have nearly as many on there.

Just recently picked up

Kagemusha
Breathless
Repulsion
Seventh Seal
Thin Red Line
House

On Blu Ray....

Incoming movie weekend for me.. =/

Top Bottom