Mother locks children in cage, sentenced to 20 years in jail

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080523/ap_on_re_us/caged_teen

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - A mother was sentenced to 20 years in prison Thursday for keeping her 17-year-old adopted son caged in her home.

Brenda Sullivan pleaded guilty in January to three counts of aggravated child abuse. Prosecutors agreed to drop lesser child neglect charges.

The teen weighed 49 pounds when child welfare workers found him in 2005 in what appeared to be a cage. Sullivan told a judge at the time that Ohio authorities told her to keep the boy, who had severe medical and emotional problems, in a crib.

"There's only one conclusion when you look at the medical evidence in this case, and that is that she literally starved him," prosecutor Julie Schlax said.

Two other children, 13-year-old twins the Sullivans adopted as infants, both testified they were kept in similar cages.

Sullivan's husband was also arrested, but died in January 2007 while awaiting trial.

Sullivan's lawyer, Charles Fletcher, said he didn't think prison was the right option because she does not pose a threat to society. He said they would appeal the sentence.

What the hell is with people. :ganishka:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Re: 20 years in prison for child abuse

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080523/ap_on_re_us/caged_teen

What the hell is with people. :ganishka:
The cage or the sentence?

CnC

Ad Oculos

Walter said:
The cage or the sentence?

I would assume he's referring to the mom if the thread wasn't titled differently. :guts:

That aside, throwing your kid in a cage is pretty fucked up. I agree she isn't technically a "threat to society", but a little time in a cage herserlf wouldn't be bad.

CnC

Ad Oculos

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
The cage, I couldn't think of a better title for the thread.

Mother locks children in cage, sentenced to 20 years in jail.

-"I love it. Print it" :badbone:

Top Bottom