2008 Presidential Election

So who should be 44th President of the United States of America?

• Total voters

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
You must choose, but choose wisely, for while the true President will bring you hope, the false President will take it from you. :SK:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
When put like that, there's not much choice, as it's apparent McCain already drank from the wrong chalice at some point.

lastcrusade.jpg

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
What about Ron Paul?

Nah, I don't think it's 100% official yet, but after tonight, I don't believe there are any doubts that Mrs. Clinton will hand the win over to him. It was a hard fought battle, but I think the rightful winner got through. It gives me a little bit of hope that America can be great if they elect a President with the middle name "Hussein". Keep the dream alive.

Griffith

Wow, that image is almost a little too fitting, Wally.

Uriel said:
What about Ron Paul?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DGFuHC75aY

I think there's actually a resemblance. =)

Uriel said:
Nah, I don't think it's 100% official yet, but after tonight, I don't believe there are any doubts that Mrs. Clinton will hand the win over to him.

It's the other way around, it's technically official, but she refused to acknowledge it. I watched her speech tonight, which was literally held in like an underground bunker with no monitors or phone reception, hoping to witness the miracle, but alas, she came closer to declaring she somehow won the November election than she did saying she was out of this one. What really summed up the self-serving delusion in the room was when her trogs broke into Hillary's derivative Obama chant of "Yes we will!" Shameless. Anyway, it was basically like a speech triumphantly announcing her candidacy for Vice President. It was conciliatory in places, but ungracious overall as she actually conceded nothing and is keeping whatever leverage she has, either for the VP slot, to forgive her debt, to take the party down with her, or whatever noble act she feels her supporters demand. =)

This is kind of what watching it felt like BTW:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DGF5UYBox0

Good thing I looked away before it was over.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, we're all watching Obama's response speech right now at work, and Clinton and Obama have both so far used the phrase "charting a new course." So it seems theyre already in collusion. Maybe an OFFICIAL announcement will come before the end of the night, rather than just these word games.

Griffith

I think that's just the generic jargon of the campaign. If there was any sort of plan in place, I think Hillary would have given a much different speech, you know, like one that actually acknowledged and endorsed the presumptive nominee. She was pretty much highlighting the divide with this one, playing up the working class bullshit angle of her campaign and all that, it was passive aggressive if anything, and she certainly didn't act like someone who had lost or who was ready to tell her supporters to unify the party under someone else; she danced around that, but she kept the focus squarely on her, what she'd done, and all her supporters and what they deserved, blah blah blah. She's basically setup the well to be poisoned if she's ignored. Anyway, as for that nonsense of her supporters writing into her website, the only one she's waiting to hear from is Obama and what he'll offer her to call off whatever spite campaign she has in store. All things considered, the so-called dream ticket looks like a happy alternative, because he's in a bind here to get past this without alienating her people. If she doesn't want the VP slot, then maybe everyone can make out alright.

With her on my ticket as VP though, I'd hire a food taster, and maybe some outside security in case those secret service guys forget where their loyalties lie. =)

S

Sanguinius

Griffith No More! said:

Well that was "interesting" hadn't really known before but McCain seems to have a slight stammer, also he really should have the guy who came up with his catchphrase shot "that's not change we can believe in". He made a few good points as to why you wouldn't want an Obama Presidency especially with a Democrat legislature, but his speech delivered it quite poorly I though which could be a big problem for him in future when presentation is such an important thing among "floating voters". Also I don't know what it was but his audience seemed to swing been sheep mode and zombie mode which made it seem a bit awkward to me for some reason, as did he for some reason.

Obama's seemed okay but it wasn't his best, seemed to get a bit pompous at times but seems to hide that well enough throughout most of his speech. As usual though he was mostly platitude rather than substance, could possibly be a good thing though given the kinds of things he would have to say to appease his audience, but we'll have to wait out on that. Also just thinking how funny it is how much the US is looking like the UK politically only in reverse, in the UK there's a young vague smooth talking conservative and an old somewhat awkward Labour leader. Well a saying comes to mind at times like this "The more things change the more they stay the same".

S

smoke

Hillary Clinton makes me want to peel open my butt and sit on a knife.

Griffith No More! said:
It's the other way around, it's technically official, but she refused to acknowledge it. I watched her speech tonight, which was literally held in like an underground bunker with no monitors or phone reception, hoping to witness the miracle, but alas, she came closer to declaring she somehow won the November election than she did saying she was out of this one. What really summed up the self-serving delusion in the room was when her trogs broke into Hillary's derivative Obama chant of "Yes we will!" Shameless. Anyway, it was basically like a speech triumphantly announcing her candidacy for Vice President. It was conciliatory in places, but ungracious overall as she actually conceded nothing and is keeping whatever leverage she has, either for the VP slot, to forgive her debt, to take the party down with her, or whatever noble act she feels her supporters demand. =)

Wow, GNM, this may have been the best summary of her speech anyone could have ever written. My hat's off to you, sir. *takes hat off*

That apostlish grimace of him here made me giggle.

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/06/mccain-id-spy-o.html

Aside from that, despite the inflammatory nature that link, it does raise raise the nasty point of him being essentially vBush 3.0.

Griffith

I agree with Sang on McCain's speech, always very detail-oriented, but they tend to read better than he can deliver them, and yeah, his catchphrase wasn't very good, especially the 10th time. Obama's speech was typical of him, I read some reaction from the die hards on SA that called it his best speech ever though, or maybe thee best speech ever, but they say that about all his speeches.

Anyway, Obama definitely has the advantage on the stump, but I think McCain has the edge in debates and town halls etc, and it may have served Obama well to spar with Hillary beforehand, since he did get better. I think their strengths almost exaggerate their weakness in some cases, Obama's pretty talk and casualness at times can undermine his substance and make him come across as an attractive bimbo in the campaign, and McCain's "straight talk," even when true, can make him look like a stammering old curmudgeon. The advantage obviously goes to Obama, I think what he needs to learn and improve is much easier than what McCain does (and it may not matter), though maybe they'll bring out the best in each other like Obama and Hillary did. After Iowa, Hillary really stepped it up a notch with her speeches and rhetoric when she was not very compelling before, let's see if McCain can do the same during this election.

He better anyway, because as Obama showed against Hillary, he doesn't necessarily have to improve his weaknesses to win, he has his vote against the war, his charisma, and his rock star fad status. And the terrain is simply in his favor as long as the war goes on, the economy cools, and gas prices rise. Then again, we'll see what people do when they get alone in that booth, didn't work out so sensibly the last two times.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
I said it before [i think] and I'll say it again. I hate Obama's gun stance. Not that it matters, since I live in FUCKSTICKLAND and it always goes to the democrats. FUCK YOU OMALLEY YOU PIECE OF SHIT. :ganishka:

EDIT YOUR FACE: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080604/pl_nm/usa_politics_mccain_clinton_dc

edit edit: no this isn't a drunk post.

S

Sanguinius

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7436989.stm

It seems Hillary is finally going to concede defeat, "interesting" to say the least that there's all this presumption that she could be his VP. How would that affect all the Obama supporters here if Hillary did become Obama's running mate?

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/obama_clinton_mccain_join_forces

Possibly one step closer

Griffith

Sanguinius said:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7436989.stm

It seems Hillary is finally going to concede defeat, "interesting" to say the least that there's all this presumption that she could be his VP. How would that affect all the Obama supporters here if Hillary did become Obama's running mate?

It depends on her role and if Obama actually CHOOSES her or not. She's definitely a strong candidate for the position, and I'm all for the dream ticket, but less than 24 hours after Obama wins, a victory she's yet to acknowledge while claiming she needs time, her supporters are already literally petitioning him in the most arrogant and shameless way possible, demanding she be put on the ticket. Not very "political," and is this the type of circus we can continue expect from her people, it's like VP consideration at gunpoint. Will it be like a splinter group within the democratic campaign, or is she going to actually fall into line either way? I don't know, but she needs to bow and get off the stage for a while anyway, give Obama the spotlight, at least to show she can.

Sanguinius said:
http://www.theonion.com/content/news/obama_clinton_mccain_join_forces

Possibly one step closer

Seriously.

It seems like with every day Obama abandons all his policies and ideas of change for the more conventional Washington politicking. I think by the time November rolls in we will be splitting hair to find difference between the candidates...

Hurray for third party candidates...

S

Sanguinius

MaN said:
It seems like with every day Obama abandons all his policies and ideas of change for the more conventional Washington politicking. I think by the time November rolls in we will be splitting hair to find difference between the candidates...

Hurray for third party candidates...

I think here at least people have been saying, policy wise at least, that it was a matter of splitting hairs between Obama and Hillary, hence the extreme focus on personality between the two. Also I don't think I've ever heard anyone claim Obama has created some truly revolutionary new way of doing anything, he's never suggested an original policy on any subject that I've heard of.

Griffith

Looks like this discussion needs to be revisited before it's proven that ignorance apparently isn't bliss:

http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=8661.msg147350#msg147350

It continues onto the next page there as well.

Sanguinius said:
a matter of splitting hairs between Obama and Hillary....

Hahah. Actually I was talking about Obama and McCain.

Scorpio said:
Hurray for wasted votes...

Well then Hurray for duopoly.
As (the late) George Carlin said "The only real choice people have in this country is paper or plastic. All the most important things have been already laid out for us....."

Griffith

Actually, unlike the Democratic primary, this general election between McCain and Obama is thus far shaping up to be one more of contrasts than there's been in a while. They actually wholeheartedly disagree on things, not just differentiating by a few degrees. Of course, they should properly move closer to each other and the center, which makes me curious about McCain's reversal on drilling, rather than appealing to center for the general it's like he's having to recapture part of his own base because they aren't energized by him. So far all those donors and supporters that got Bush elected haven't come around to McCain. Also, I think there's greater burden of proof on him to specifically show a way he's going to try to lower gas prices than there is on Obama since he's got the misfortune of representing the incumbent party.

Top Bottom