2008 Presidential Election

So who should be 44th President of the United States of America?

• Total voters

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Well guys Obama is your new president! Hopefully he will make f****** Harper change a few things around here in Canada.

Edit: I'm waiting for his speach now! then hop to bed cause I got to get up early!

YES WE CAN! Even though half our country tried to hold us back, it's good to know that the American Dream isn't dead yet. God bless America!

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
El Gaucho Rojo said:
Even though half our country tried to hold us back

I'm glad to see the mind set holding us back all this time is still alive and well!  :troll:

Keep in mind, people can have different points of views. There is no correct answer to voting except for yes on slots.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Keep in mind, people can have different points of views. There is no correct answer to voting except for yes on slots.
Actually I suppose that depends on who is the majority. :troll:

Anyways, do this mean I get a raise now? I sure could use the money.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Thank the gods... America is back on track.

And we made sure to vote yes on slots, Bob. That won too -- an incredibly rewarding day! SO HAPPY!!

X

Xem

All I can think of is something similar to what Maher recently said, "US citizens are so sick of Bush, they're going to vote in a black President with an arab name."

It wasn't even really that close!

Seriously though, made my night. I almost hope Palin's on the ballot in 2012 so she can get embarrassed again.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Keep in mind, people can have different points of views. There is no correct answer to voting...

Where did I say people can't have different points of view? Where did I say there are correct answers in voting? I don't care if you vote for another party, person, idea, or whatnot. If you vote against what I'm voting for than you're voting against what I'm voting for. No hidden messages or jabs. I say what I mean, and I mean what I say. :serpico: :ganishka:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Walter said:
Truly, one of the best days I've ever had.

Me too. And Obama's victory speech almost had me in tears. But the popular vote worried me too, it was damn close. At least he still had a lanslide victory.

Awesome man.
I've never seen an US election with this much impact on people, back here in Portugal everyone was discussing the election and rooting for Obama, i guess Obamania swept Europe too.
It's incredible, almost biblical. :isidro:
Congrats Americans you've got a decent president now (so it seems).

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Uriel said:
And we made sure to vote yes on slots, Bob. That won too -- an incredibly rewarding day! SO HAPPY!!

Holy fuck are you kidding me!?  :isidro:

Edit: No you're not! Awesome news, Thanks Uriel!

El Gaucho Rojo said:
Where did I say people can't have different points of view?  Where did I say there are correct answers in voting?  I don't care if you vote for another party, person, idea, or whatnot. If you vote against what I'm voting for than you're voting against what I'm voting for.  No hidden messages or jabs.  I say what I mean, and I mean what I say.  :serpico:  :ganishka:

That part wasn't directed at you this part was,
I'm glad to see the mind set holding us back all this time is still alive and well!  :troll:

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Rhombaad said:
Now we can start rebuilding the American Empire. :guts:

:schierke:

Anyway, i actually enjoyed Mccain's speech better than Obama's, dunno why, i think i wasn't expecting Mccain to be so graceful. Pitty that he's an old fart surrounded by morons.

1225857328104aa1.jpg

Uriel said:
Wow, you are a dickhead :ganishka:

Doesn't matter, though. It's Dead! It's Dead! The Republican Beast is Dead!! -- still relevant. By the by, was anyone else annoyed by McCain's booing audience?

That background music is freaking annoying. Is there any youtube of Hick's "Ding Dong Bush is dead" part. I love that one, i think he started some show singing it.

EDIT: Ahah i found it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTfl3aId8dw

Xans-Griffith

Everything changes.
Still, many around the world found Obama’s international roots — his father was Kenyan, and he lived four years in Indonesia as a child — compelling and attractive.

In Jakarta, hundreds of students at his former elementary school gathered around a television set to watch as results came in, erupting in cheers when he was declared winner and then pouring into the courtyard where they hugged each other and danced in the rain.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27542176/

Four years in a third-world country as a child might indicate he's got the credentials not to be another ethnocentrist American president.

Whether or not his policies are successful, and regardless of his politics as a whole, this election has had a profound impact on the state of American politics and enthusiasm for America's position in the world. America is either cheering or bitter tonight, but soon things will settle down and everyone will see exactly what has transpired and what it means for them, individually and as a nation. History is marked by key events that set the world in motion. :griff: Here's to this being one of them.

S

Sanguinius

Aazealh said:
Who's going to die?

People in Afghanistan and Iraq and many other places but that's not really who I was talking about. What I was referring to was the demigod cult around Obama. Obama is going to herald in a return to the nineteen thirties, with his own New New Deal. Then as now it seems people are going to thank him for it, the more his policies won't work the more of them many people will think they'll need. The founding Fathers of the United States tried to create a Republic not a Democracy for a reason. Nothing about Obama is new or insightful beyond the myopia of those fixated with colour and no knowledge of events throughout history.

Uriel said:
Wow, you are a dickhead :ganishka:

Doesn't matter, though. It's Dead! It's Dead! The Republican Beast is Dead!! -- still relevant. By the by, was anyone else annoyed by McCain's booing audience?

And you're a brain dead sheep, enjoy your demigod cultist.

The only hope for the United States is that some people voted for Obama for sensible reasons and unlike Uriel aren't looking for a demigod to worship and live through. The idea of the Philosopher King is millennia old and has had more than its fair share of attempts throughout history. The myopia of the many seems as bound as ever to descend into demigod worship, lets just hope Obama isn't too much like Tiberius Gracchus.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Sanguinius said:
People in Afghanistan and Iraq and many other places but that's not really who I was talking about.

Yeah, because they didn't wait for him to do that. That quote just didn't seem very appropriate to me.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Can't you feel it, Aaz? Sang's opinion has not been heeded and so the World is ending! =)

On a serious note, lets keep the name calling private, and certainly not in this thread. Thanks.

S

Sanguinius

Aazealh said:
Yeah, because they didn't wait for him to do that. That quote just didn't seem very appropriate to me.

I don't really understand what your first sentence is saying. Do you mean that those things were not initiated by Obama?

Griffith said:
Can't you feel it, Aaz? Sang's opinion has not been heeded and so the World is ending! =)

On a serious note, lets keep the name calling private, and certainly not in this thread. Thanks.

Hardly because my opinion isn't being heeded, it doesn't take any great wisdom or insight to see what I'm saying, it mainly just requires an open mind to look at common perceptions in a new light. All I've ever said is hardly unique to me. It also isn't that the world will end, it is just that the world will be a worse place than it needs and very easily could be.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Sanguinius said:
I don't really understand what your first sentence is saying. Do you mean that those things were not initiated by Obama?

I meant that people didn't wait for Barack Obama to become President of the USA to die in Afghanistan and Iraq and many other places.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Sanguinius said:
The only hope for the United States is that some people voted for Obama for sensible reasons and unlike Uriel aren't looking for a demigod to worship and live through.  The idea of the Philosopher King is millennia old and has had more than its fair share of attempts throughout history.  The myopia of the many seems as bound as ever to descend into demigod worship, lets just hope Obama isn't too much like Tiberius Gracchus.
A little tidbit first -- I didn't vote for Obama.

Secondly, the noise emanating from your general direction only makes your salty tears all the more delicious. The rest of the world seems to get it, but you can't.

Everyone has a right to their own opinion, naturally. And in light of that ideology, I'll say that I am happy that there won't be any pro-life, fundamentalist people at the top. That's reason enough for me to be pleased with the result =) "Demigod" and "worship" are such a strong words, too. How about an individual who people can be encouraged by? When was the last time such a person was elected in Britain, eh?

Side note -- I wish Tim Russert had been around for this...

Top Bottom