Episode 297

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Deci said:
No one said anything about "shout outs", but is this not being influenced by current events?

"When you're a cartoonist and working at home you sit at your desk pretty much all day. You get most of your information about the world from the news on TV. I think that's how most cartoonists spend their days. And then I start to see the whole picture of my point of view towards all the problems that are happening in the world."
He was indeed referring to how the news affects him broadly, on an abstract level. Note his choice of words: "the whole picture", "my point of view" and "ALL the problems." But you're interpreting that as the basis for which he would intentionally make a direct parallel in his fantasy series to a SPECIFIC presidential election?

That is what you're still arguing, right? :badbone:

I think you could maybe make your argument somewhat valid here by pointing out that this scenario may be Miura's way of commenting on how humanity tends to cry out for a savior in times of crisis. But while that does ring a bell to our US Presidential Election, it's really just the human condition, and is not unique at all to the US. And besides, Miura's been planning this moment for more than a decade.

Funkmasta Zeph

Finely made wine since 1840
Deci said:
No one said anything about "shout outs", but is this not being influenced by current events?

"When you're a cartoonist and working at home you sit at your desk pretty much all day. You get most of your information about the world from the news on TV. I think that's how most cartoonists spend their days. And then I start to see the whole picture of my point of view towards all the problems that are happening in the world."

Be that as it may.

That doesn't make there any conscious connection whatsoever between Griffith and Obama.

hanafubuku

The deal with Magnifico worked out afterall
Walter said:
Round numbers have never served as significant portions of the story arc in Berserk. Sorry, it's just a number.

At least until we get to episode 666

Funkmasta Zeph said:
That doesn't make there any conscious connection whatsoever between Griffith and Obama.

Their both celebrities  :>.  OH on that note, McCain is a War Hero like Guts, and Putin is kinda like Ganishka.  :isidro:

But, umm, yah on a more serious note - kinda hard to pickout real similarities to actual peoples.  It is afterall a fantasy series (although some atrocities can probably be likened to actual events in history).

X

Xem

[quote author=Walter]
But you're interpreting that as the basis for which he would intentionally make a direct parallel in his fantasy series to a SPECIFIC presidential election?

That is what you're still arguing, right? :badbone: [/quote]

Not really, no.

Honestly I was going to drop the whole thing altogether but decided to respond when you asked, "How is Miura, as a manga writer, influenced by current events?". As you even said, he was happy to start the Millennium Falcon Arc near the beginning of the millennium. Perhaps he's happy to have a new world leader in his fictional series at the same time we have a new world leader in our world.

All I was saying is I think, and maybe Miura agrees, that it would be cool to have the events happen close to each other. I'm not saying it's on purpose or anything like that, merely that it might be cool.

Nothing more than that.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Yeah, ain't I a stinker? :carcus:

But, while my Vagabond goes untranslated, I have no sympathies. This is easy, we know what to expect with Berserk and I don't even feel the wait anymore, Hell, I was surprised when I checked that the last one came out in June: so recently!? =)

I could've gone a few more months before I even noticed. :badbone:

A

avidwriter

Yea these gaps are annoying but its nicer to know a date, I don't recall there being a date this last time. I hope its this week or next at least. It only makes the waits longer for us since we are catching up to Japan releases now.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
See, I don't get the "hope for next week" mentality. Why torture yourself? I actually prefer no date; once I know a date, I'm officially waiting for it. In circumstances like now, I might not even realize the episode's upon us until it's already available, always an awesome discovery. See, instant gratification is all relative. =)

Kagami

Goo!
Griffith No More! said:
See, I don't get the "hope for next week" mentality. Why torture yourself? I actually prefer no date; once I know a date, I'm officially waiting for it. In circumstances like now, I might not even realize the episode's upon us until it's already available, always an awesome discovery. See, instant gratification is all relative. =)

That has been the way I've been looking at Berserk for about 2 years now. Sometimes if I am lucky I get two new episodes in one shot. Give it a try fellas, be patient.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Well I wouldn't mind the unknown date of the return so much if it was NEXT EPISODE: Guts lays down on a boat and looks up at the ceiling. But this time it's
NEXT EPISODE: GRIFFITH TURNS INTO A GIANT GLOWING PIGEON AND SHITS ALL OVER GANISHKA

Okin

The Ultimate Battle Creature
To be fair, your first title is a possibility if Miura decides to give us all cliff-hanger blue balls.

Okin said:
To be fair, your first title is a possibility if Miura decides to give us all cliff-hanger blue balls.

The outcome is already almost a certainty. For me personally, what will transpire in Elfhelm is far more of a cliff hanger then Griffith's epic battle.

are they on the ship yet?

but in seriousness, these gaps do frustrate, I mean, every time we FINALLY get an announcement of a new episode, I sit there wondering "wait, what exactly happened in the last episode?" and thats when you know something is not right
I easily place berserk as my favourite manga, but goddamn its painful to wait for months, then be treated to "oh a sea battle, this should be intense.....oh that was over quick and not alot happened....." then be told that you have to wait even longer than you waited last time for more main story progression

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
there's always the possibility to buy other series to get berserk off your head while the wait is happening. I don't mind it at all (of course i can't wait everytime to get the new episode but what am i gonna do about it!) anyway yeah reading other series work for me...

can't wait to see Ganishka vs Griffith though! :guts:

Guts intestines

Yer breath is bad... It'll go away with yer head
Proj2501 said:
sirs, it's a small price to pay for the level of quality miura delivers.

Yeah, but I still can't help but feel I'm going through a forced withdrawal; though whining won't help it any so it's better to just do something else in the mean time, school will be a pretty big occupier though so I'll just have to see.

SlimJ87D

Apollo
Guts' intestines said:
Yeah, but I still can't help but feel I'm going through a forced withdrawal; though whining won't help it any so it's better to just do something else in the mean time, school will be a pretty big occupier though so I'll just have to see.

It is very hard to remmeber what's going on with berserk sometimes cause of work, school, and studying. But for myself I got back into comic books and Hajime no Ippo keeps me occupied. Except that HnI has like no RAW provider, haha. But what do they have to whine about? We wait a long time here ourselves.

... Perhaps .. Miura travel trought the world ... to find "inspiration" about Elfhelm ... to "sway his soul" ... :miura: ... We know ... he search lands or architectures in pictures to create Berserk ...

. but it's a very long time :judo: ...

SimplyEd

エンシェント カタストロフィ
flagawax said:
... Perhaps .. Miura travel trought the world ... to find "inspiration" about Elfhelm ...

So he's off to Ireland then. (Hey, no offense, i love Ireland!)

SlimJ87D

Apollo
hahahaha, he should just go to a Arts and Civilization class, he'd probably get good ideas for more monsters and Apostles to draw when they show biblical demons and stuff.

Top Bottom