Is Guts the true Hawk of Light?

Hey everyone, I'm new to this great Berserk site. I was just wondering what people thought of the theory that Guts may actually the prophesized Hawk of Light. His hair is starting to turn white. Griffith will eventually bring darkness and then Guts will save everyone at the end.

P.S. This really is a fantastic site. Great job guys.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Is Guts the real Hawk of Light?

Hi and welcome to SK.net!

Like royoak said, Griffith is the Falcon of Light, as we can see even in the latest episode (in which he's literally transforming into a giant falcon made of light). The whole thing really has nothing to do with Guts.

I read your post Aazealh when you stated that Griffith is both the Hawk of Light and Darkness. However, that post was done almost 4 years ago. The prophecy says that the Hawk of Light will appear and save the world. Griffith is obviously just DISGUISING himself as the Hawk of Light. If a prophecy is a prophecy, and Griffith is just a poser, then the real Hawk of Light has yet to appear. I just feel that Guts hair turning partially white has more symbolic significance than just him being overly stressed during his fight with Ganishka. Why would Miura begin turning his hair white? It makes me think that all the hair on his head will slowly but surely turn white after a few more epic battles.

However, Griffith turning into that Hawk at the end of Episode 297 doesn't help my cause. Could it be that Griffith knows of the prophecy and is just great at disguising and fooling everyone?

Or maybe I need to get a life and quit thinking way too much into Berserk.

Maito Gai said:
The prophecy says that the Hawk of Light will appear and save the world.

No, the prophecy says this:

"When the Sun has died five times, a red lake will appear at the West of the city with a name both new and ancient, and it will be the sign that the fifth angel, the Falcon of Darkness, is born. The Angel shall be both master of the sinful black sheep and king of the blind white ones. He is the one who shall bring an age of darkness upon the world."

The people of Midland had a collective dream that the Falcon of Light will save them from destruction.
And that is exactly what Griffith has done so far and will finally accomplish by defeating Ganishka.

Griffith is the Falcon of Light, the saviour who will free the people of Midland and
the Falcon of Darkness "who shall bring an age of darkness upon the world."

Maito Gai said:
I just feel that Guts hair turning partially white has more symbolic significance than just him being overly stressed during his fight with Ganishka. 

Well, it certainly has a symbolic significance but the Falcon is Griffith and nobody else.
By the way, Guts hair became slightly white after he put on the Berserk's Armor and fought against the Apostles at Flora's tree mansion

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Maito Gai said:
I read your post Aazealh when you stated that Griffith is both the Hawk of Light and Darkness. However, that post was done almost 4 years ago.

Yeah, and I already knew it many years before. Damn, I'm good. :badbone:

Maito Gai said:
The prophecy says that the Hawk of Light will appear and save the world.

Once again, royoak is correct. The prophecy doesn't mention the Falcon of Light ("falcon" is the preferred translation over "hawk").

Maito Gai said:
Griffith is obviously just DISGUISING himself as the Hawk of Light.

You're making a very common mistake here. You're assuming that two forces are supposed to oppose each other, one representing light and the other darkness, both being "falcons". But like I said in that old post and in many others before and after, it's just not the case. The Falcon of Darkness obviously refers to Griffith/Femto (the "Wings of Darkness"), that's what the prophecy is all about. But when did we first hear of the Falcon of Light? Why, it's when it appeared in people's dreams. Griffith took that form and prophetized his own coming into the world. That's what the Falcon of Light is, this:

Falcon_of_Light.jpg

Literally, a falcon made of light.

Maito Gai said:
I just feel that Guts hair turning partially white has more symbolic significance than just him being overly stressed during his fight with Ganishka. Why would Miura begin turning his hair white? It makes me think that all the hair on his head will slowly but surely turn white after a few more epic battles.

Well that's another debate entirely. I don't necessarily agree with you here, and I highly doubt that Guts' hair will turn white entirely, but it doesn't matter much because in any case, Guts definitely isn't the Falcon of Light. You think there is some symbolism hinting at Guts representing some sort of ultimate force of good that will eventually oppose the ultimate evil that Griffith represents? That's perfectly fine, but he isn't and will never be the creature we call the Falcon of Light. If he were to become known as a savior, he'd have to get his own alias. :guts:

Maito Gai said:
Could it be that Griffith knows of the prophecy and is just great at disguising and fooling everyone?

Looking at the story, I'd say he's pretty good at deceiving people, don't you agree? It's precisely what this whole business is about (and I don't think it's even necessary for him to know about the prophecy, though I don't doubt he does at this point). There's only one falcon: Griffith. He's the Falcon of Darkness, but is posing as a Falcon of Light, savior of all. And despite the prophecy, everyone's buying it at the moment. After all, aren't prophecies supposed to be realized regardless of people's efforts to prevent it?

einherjar

The Glorious Dead

Aazealh said:
Looking at the story, I'd say he's pretty good at deceiving people, don't you agree? It's precisely what this whole business is about (and I don't think it's even necessary for him to know about the prophecy, though I don't doubt he does at this point). There's only one falcon: Griffith. He's the Falcon of Darkness, but is posing as a Falcon of Light, savior of all. And despite the prophecy, everyone's buying it at the moment. After all, aren't prophecies supposed to be realized regardless of people's efforts to prevent it?

Not only that, but most times the prophecy isn't linked to the persons / events until sometime after they are fulfilled.

Top Bottom