Diablo 3!

Well, well, color me excited! It looks very promising, iso FTW1, and it's still early stages of development, so to borrow a nice title "there will be blood". I just wish another third installment to a series was getting the same treatment :'(

Aazealh said:
Awww, my old Necro didn't make it? :judo:

Mmm I don't know!! In one of the first interviews, one or more of the Blizzard rep's did mention (when asked about the witch doctor) that they really liked the Necro and that the witch doctor was not a replacement. Maybe the Necro won't be playable (or maybe they will add characters with expansion packs.. although it's way to early to say that) but an NPC is also possible. Whatever happens. The rep' expressed that they really liked the necromancer character. :guts: Hopefully, that actually means something.

On a side note. Aaz, I didn't know you were the Necromancer character kind of guy? I thought you'd be more of the Paladin zealot smiter type. Fanatically smiting bad posts left and right. :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Ramen4ever said:
On a side note. Aaz, I didn't know you were the Necromancer character kind of guy? I thought you'd be more of the Paladin zealot smiter type. Fanatically smiting bad posts left and right. :guts:

Not a fan of Paladins, no. At least not for myself. I played as a Necro in Diablo II for lack of my actual favorite kind of character: EQ's Shadow Knight and any of its variations (for example, the Dark Templar in AoC or the Death Knight in WoW).

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
Not a fan of Paladins, no. At least not for myself. I played as a Necro in Diablo II for lack of my actual favorite kind of character: EQ's Shadow Knight and any of its variations (for example, the Dark Templar in AoC or the Death Knight in WoW).
Since reading the interview in that IGN article, I have a really good feeling we'll see a class akin to the aforementioned classes in D3. Just a hunch.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Since reading the interview in that IGN article, I have a really good feeling we'll see a class akin to the aforementioned classes in D3. Just a hunch.

I'm glad to hear that, because I've had a similar hunch ever since the game was announced and I've kept my fingers crossed since. :guts:

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
After viewing the promo videos I know there will be a brute that gets through the trials and tribulations by hacking and smashing, which is perfect. I usually play the barbarian/warrior on the first run through. Never been a big fan of magic users but the witch doctor looks pretty darn cool.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Im playing through D2 as a Barbarian on Battle.Net now, and my god the servers are flooded to death. Ping is godawful in each realm I've chosen. If the resurgence in popularity of this game is any indication, D3 is going to be a huge hit :serpico:

My question though, is when will this hit the shelves? Because Starcraft II still has to come out before it, presumedly. And I don't expect that until early 09 or maybe late 08. Diablo III may not be until fall 09? :judo:

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
Diablo 2 was like crack for me during my middleschool years, and one of the sole activities of those summers. I'm actually kind of dreading III's release, knowing just how much of my life I will probably lose to it. Started dinking around D2 again since I heard the news... a few more days of my life gone.

So far, the game looks great. I can see where Ramen is coming from though about the art direction. In contrast, the previous Diablo's look much grittier and realistic (graphical limitations might have had something to do with that), and the polygonal structure of the characters does share a resemblance to Warcraft 3. However, it's still early, and while I would also like to see more corpses/gore lying around the dungeons, I would be perfectly happy with the way it is. I was stunned when the video first revealed the outdoor environment, that skull exit with the roots growing out was like concept art perfectly realized into a three dimensional painting.

Ugh, my mind is all over the place having watched the video a couple times, but I'll end with the Barbarians new skills. They look awesome. Talk about coming up with a bunch of skills that just look and feel devastating. Those moves combined with the witch doctor's zombie wall make me really excited to see what kind of abilities the other classes have (and even what classes will actually be revealed).

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
One thing I'm wondering is how this will affect WoW's user base. I think a large part came directly from Diablo 2's Battle.net mode... And might get back to Diablo with this new episode. Actually, maybe that's part of why they've waited so long before releasing it: so that it wouldn't undermine WoW's success.

S

smoke

Well, I seriously wouldn't doubt that this game will come out in '10 or '11.

The Wrath of the Lich King expansion for WoW was announced....last April? And there's still not even a goddamn release date.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
smoke said:
Well, I seriously wouldn't doubt that this game will come out in '10 or '11.

The Wrath of the Lich King expansion for WoW was announced....last April? And there's still not even a goddamn release date.
Yeah, but Fall 08 sounds about right for Lich King. I agree Diablo III probably won't see the light of day until summer-late 2009 though, just because Blizzard is stacked with huge releases right now.

As for WoW's userbase, I agree it was initially built on the backs of Diablo II's loot-seeking cronies, but these days, WoW users have been in-breeding for years and are a whole different kind of mutant. It'll survive D3, no question.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Wal'ter said:
As for WoW's userbase, I agree it was initially built on the backs of Diablo II's loot-seeking cronies, but these days, WoW users have been in-breeding for years and are a whole different kind of mutant. It'll survive D3, no question.

Oh yeah, and most of the older MMORPGs' userbases moved over too. Yet... The game's getting old, and I think people will want something new sooner or later (as a matter of fact, many seem to already be looking for a replacement, but they just can't find one). There'll always be die hards (people still play EQ, UO and who knows maybe Meridian 59), but I don't think they'll keep so many users forever.

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
I played the original Diablo on battle.net a few times, and that is the extent of my online multiplayer experience. Games like WoW kind of irk me because they take priority over single player games like Diablo or the original Warcraft series. I can understand that the popularity of WoW would make it the focus because it's become so huge, but still it doesn't make me too thrilled, lol. I've never been interested in MMORPG's. I'm glad that Stronghold Crusader has a huge replay value, otherwise I'd be getting out the N64 and play Ocarina of time again.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Five classes are confirmed right now, according to a 1up.com interview. The interview also mentions that the Barbarian will be _one of_ the returning classes from Diablo II.

Okin

The Ultimate Battle Creature
Aazealh said:
One thing I'm wondering is how this will affect WoW's user base. I think a large part came directly from Diablo 2's Battle.net mode... And might get back to Diablo with this new episode. Actually, maybe that's part of why they've waited so long before releasing it: so that it wouldn't undermine WoW's success.

I see where you're coming from, but Diablo's community was far more exclusive. It's darker setting and gritty violence (not to mention the satanic and sacrilegious story) prevented the younger and more diverse WoW players that make up the majority of the now 10 million active subscribers. Most hardcore players that shifted from Diablo like myself probably deactivated their accounts when they finished all the current raid content (I'm personally done playing until Wrath of the Lich King is released.) I think a large part of this release may have to do with the merger of Activision-Blizzard and the failure of Hell Gate London. Don't get me wrong though with Blizzard's reputation for high quality games, most consumers will be interested in all their franchises.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Okin said:
I see where you're coming from, but Diablo's community was far more exclusive. It's darker setting and gritty violence (not to mention the satanic and sacrilegious story) prevented the younger and more diverse WoW players that make up the majority of the now 10 million active subscribers.

Uhh, as far as I know, most Diablo 2 players on Battle.net were about 14 years ago. And if not, they acted the part really well. And aside from that, I've met many people that straight out said they went from D2 to WoW to other MMOs.

Okin said:
Most hardcore players that shifted from Diablo like myself probably deactivated their accounts when they finished all the current raid content (I'm personally done playing until Wrath of the Lich King is released.)

Hmm, I don't know, I wouldn't be so sure about that if I were you.

Okin said:
I think a large part of this release may have to do with the merger of Activision-Blizzard and the failure of Hell Gate London. Don't get me wrong though with Blizzard's reputation for high quality games, most consumers will be interested in all their franchises.

I think we'd have seen a Diablo III even if Hellgate London had been a success, though it's probable they didn't want to release both games at the same time.

X

Xem

I was always too big of a Starcraft nerd to get into the Diablo games, but I can tell you as an avid WoW nerd, that this will definitely hurt WoW's userbase. Chat channels were completely flooded with people announcing their retirement when they heard of Diablo III. I'm personally looking forward to it, I suspect many (not nearly enough however) of the complainers will leave when this comes out.

So I'm looking forward to it, that and my girlfriend loved all the Diablo games. So she can crunch into this game while I dominate SC2.

One of the many things that I'm curious about is weather Blizzard will do LAN or will I have to do that whole russian fauxBattle.net thing, oops said too much :guts:
Seriously, I loved those Diablo2 LAN parties and I'd hate to be forced to hold them in a net cafe or someplace.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Well, I'm thrilled, Wally and I were just asking each other a couple of weeks ago why this game wasn't on the horizon, concluding that WoW makes Blizzard like over a billion a year, so why would they compete with themselves? Well, I guess they will.

Anyway, gameplay trailer looks good, the cinematic teaser was lame though, totally generic and ambient, and could have been for any game really. But, that's no big deal, I just would have been nice had it been as intriguing as the synopsis. Also...

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3168512

Uh oh, we got problems already! :ganishka:

I can't say I care, and would point out that Diablo II's graphics were already way more bright and colorful compared to the original, and these don't look much different. Though, I do like those artists conceptions on there of what it could be, you may very well be able to adjust sharpness, contrast, saturation, etc yourself.

vlad said:
One of the many things that I'm curious about is weather Blizzard will do LAN or will I have to do that whole russian fauxBattle.net thing, oops said too much :guts:
Seriously, I loved those Diablo2 LAN parties and I'd hate to be forced to hold them in a net cafe or someplace.

I think Lan will still be in, quite a few people have asked that before. Although I don't recall if Blizzard gave a definite answer.

oh my god thank you blizzard!!! :)

diablo 2 is one of the best games ever, i played it for years on bnet ... so much fun but then WOW came out and the Diablo2 community started dying and more and more of my mates quit playing :(

i simply love diablo, hope they stick with the gameplay of diablo 2 ... :guts:

Griffith No More! said:
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3168512

Uh oh, we got problems already! :ganishka:

I can't say I care, and would point out that Diablo II's graphics were already way more bright and colorful compared to the original, and these don't look much different. Though, I do like those artists conceptions on there of what it could be, you may very well be able to adjust sharpness, contrast, saturation, etc yourself.

There's also rumors of an anti-petition to keep the current look of the game. :troll:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Ramen4ever said:
There's also rumors of an anti-petition to keep the current look of the game. :troll:

Haha, of course! Then I like my idea of it being adjustable best, though I really don't care as long as I can be the harbinger of death by left-clicking things.

Bizzard's Diablo III Introduction said:
The comet carries a dark omen in its fiery being and it calls the heroes of Sanctuary to defend the mortal world against the rising powers of the Burning Hells – and even the failing luminaries of the High Heavens itself.

So great, we have to fight God now too? I wonder if we won't maybe get a Heavenly class to play with as well, a Tyrael-like angel or something. Probably not.

Griffith No More! said:
So great, we have to fight God now too? I wonder if we won't maybe get a Heavenly class to play with as well, a Tyrael-like angel or something. Probably not.

I think he's pulling it out of his @ss but still interesting
Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOqnrhaeXIA

There are 4 parts but I think it's okay if I just link one.

I wouldn't mind an angel class however that would seem very unbalanced. If there's an angel class there would also have to be a demon class, no?

Top Bottom