Chrono Trigger DS

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome! They finally got a clue. Now if only Secret of Mana would follow... Best news of the week in any case.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Of course the obvious question is how much they'll add, or if it'll be a straight port of the original. Imagine the nerd outrage if they change ANYTHING. :isidro: (and I'd be perfectly happy if they do add stuff).

A

avidwriter

Having never played it, either SNES or emulated this would be my chance.

I did however play Secret Of Mana and it will live in my mind as one of the greatest RPG's/games of all time.

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
You'll really enjoy it avidwriter. I owned it twice for SNES, and played the emulated version several times. It's too bad it didn't get a longer lifespan like Final Fantasy. The battle system was great.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
I was willing to bet that it would be a 3D remake like the recent Final Fantasy games for DS. But the fact it's coming out at Christmas makes me think there won't be enough time to make a whole new game? I'd rather have the original 2D game. Handsome's shameful secret...I have never played this!

Hmm, the only reason why I wouldn't want a 3d remake is that, given the power of the DS, they'd be unable to retain the detail of the original. Going back and improving the detail of the sprites, while maybe more work than simply laying down some 3d sprites, while it may take longer, would I think give for a much more vivid graphical representation.

Ahh, who am I kidding here - the original was pretty magnificant in terms of graphics all by itself, and given the resolution of the DS, I'm not sure there's much they could do to improve on it.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
It's mentioned in the article linked in the first post, but it's worth mentioning again. Check out the official countdown site, with stylin clock: http://www.square-enix.co.jp/ctds/

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
That's great news. The new dungeon in FF6 Advance was cool, but a little superfluous. It had a few good end-game weapons to be found in it, just not enough story attached to it. I don't know why they don't add more content to these games. It can't be that time consuming (hey, time consuming, that's like a pun on Lavos. :ganishka: )

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Walter said:
I don't know why they don't add more content to these games. It can't be that time consuming (hey, time consuming, that's like a pun on Lavos. :ganishka: )

Excellent.

Anyway, I am again kicking myself that I didn't take up my ex's offer to buy me a DS at the time, and because of that offer, I'll never pay for one myself. =)

Good to see Square-Enix still gives a damn about the Chrono Trigger series! I love this game, but not enough to buy a DS (I own the cartridge and PS1 versions anyway).

I would have preferred a direct sequel to Chrono Trigger that explains the utter train wreck that was Chrono Cross. :ganishka:

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
The main reason I bought a DS was because it was backwards compatible with Game Boy Advance. I still haven't purchased a DS game yet, though that will change soon. There are a ton of great Advance games out there to make the purchase of a DS more than worth it.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
KazigluBey said:
The main reason I bought a DS was because it was backwards compatible with Game Boy Advance. I still haven't purchased a DS game yet, though that will change soon. There are a ton of great Advance games out there to make the purchase of a DS more than worth it.

And there are tons of fantastic NDS games too, that's the thing. I have a list of games I want to play that's so long I just know I'll never touch half of them.

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
That's certainly true, this is my list of to buy games that I have saved on my Half.com Wish List:

Hotel Dusk: Room 215
Spider-Man 3
Lunar Knights
Madden 08'
Clubhouse Games
Tetris DS
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (Trying to get into 2D Castlevania :guts:)
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
Final Fantasy III
Super Mario 64

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
KazigluBey said:
Clubhouse Games
Tetris DS
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (Trying to get into 2D Castlevania :guts:)
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
Final Fantasy III
Super Mario 64

Those I have and I recommend. Hotel Dusk is neat too but I haven't got it yet. I'd post my own list but it's 7 months old and about 10 times longer than yours.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Walter said:
Got some wacky names in there. I guess that's because of my INCORRECT American translation though.

Yeah, epic translation maneuver calling Frog by the Japanese word for "frog" instead. Glad they cleared that up. =)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith No More! said:
Yeah, epic translation maneuver calling Frog by the Japanese word for "frog" instead. Glad they cleared that up. =)
Is it really? I had no clue... Well, then there's EIRA, and MARL. :serpico: I'm just nitpicking, it's not a complaint.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
The Japanese version has the original Japanese names, shouldn't come off as a surprise. I imagine the US version will have them translated.

Top Bottom