E3 2008

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Just starting up the topic. Looking forward to seeing more on Silent Hill 5, the new Castlevania games, and that Fallout game I've been hearing so much about.

Guts intestines

Yer breath is bad... It'll go away with yer head
I'm wishing on a star for a new Zelda to be revealed on tuesday when Nintendo holds their press conference.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah I too am holding out for a big Nintendo announcement. Their last big first-party game minus smash brothers was Mario Galaxy. And I breezed through that and didn't really look back. So what's next, damnit!

I'm hoping for a DS revision, though honestly it doesn't *really* need one.

Mostly I stopped paying attention to E3 once PAX started doing their thing. *shrug*

Guts intestines

Walter said:
Yeah I too am holding out for a big Nintendo announcement. Their last big first-party game minus smash brothers was Mario Galaxy. And I breezed through that and didn't really look back. So what's next, damnit!
Think that's bad? I spent fifty hours just to unlock Luigi as a playable character in that game.
P.S: Don't forget Mario Kart.

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
If any more Zelda games come out I sure as hell hope they allow you to use a classic controller setup and not have to use the stylus or the stupid remote setup. I don't a damn about innovation or what have you, I want to play games like you do on all the other systems. I gave Phantom Hourglass to my nephew because I refuse to use that damn stylus.

Guts intestines

KazigluBey said:
If any more Zelda games come out I sure as hell hope they allow you to use a classic controller setup and not have to use the stylus or the stupid remote setup. I don't a damn about innovation or what have you, I want to play games like you do on all the other systems. I gave Phantom Hourglass to my nephew because I refuse to use that damn stylus.

IDK, I liked the use of the wii-mote in Twilight Princess.

Voyevoda

Breathe and Start
^Yeah, and Mirrors edge also makes me wonder what they could with the same concept for other game genres conveying the force of motion like that. I'd kill for an "Itano Circus"-style flight sim games. I think ZoE 2 got the basics right, at least. Now, if they just went a bit further... I guess it's hard to actually balance such a game to be both fast, controllable and fun at the same time though.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
KazigluBey said:

I'd say it's your loss dude. I really enjoyed the Wiimote with Twilight Princess, and I didn't mind the stylus either, though I didn't find it fantastic.

Casan said:
^Yeah, and Mirrors edge also makes me wonder what they could with the same concept for other game genres conveying the force of motion like that.

I'm waiting to see what comes out of it too. Hopefully the actual game will be as cool as the concept.

Aazealh said:
I'm waiting to see what comes out of it too. Hopefully the actual game will be as cool as the concept.

Yea, well with it being made by EA I am having my doubts, although they do have DICE on-board as well and they have been pretty decent in the past. The game does have an interesting concept though and I think could turn out to be a great game if it is done right.

Guts intestines

Call me a pessimist, but I gotta say I'm not too impressed with Microsoft's E3 showing, other than Final Fantasy Xlll to the 360, there was really nothing surprising. Plus there was the blatant rip-off of Nintendo's mii in the Microsoft "Avatars". Ah well, Fallout 3 still looked nice, though nothing surprising.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Guts' intestines said:
Call me a pessimist, but I gotta say I'm not too impressed with Microsoft's E3 showing, other than Final Fantasy Xlll to the 360, there was really nothing surprising.

That's really bad news for Sony though.

Guts intestines

Yeah, it's a hell of a coup for Microsoft, but they tempered the excitement by only showing what appeared to be the same trailer that Sony showed last year.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
It better be for both consoles... otherwise, Nomad is gonna be a really saaaad panda. :judo:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Nomad said:
It better be for both consoles... otherwise, Nomad is gonna be a really saaaad panda. :judo:

Yeah it's for both. Still one less reason to get a PS3 if you have a X360 though.

Guts intestines

My best of E3 ranking:
1. Microsoft
2. Sony
3. Nintendo :judo:

I like the motion plus, but not real hardcore games and a lousy community speaker for voice chat, all sucks.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Breed1Ghost said:
FF13 is only multy plat in the us and maybe in the Euros in Japan its only on ps3, so its not as big a blow as it could have been

Well we'll see about that; I mean they haven't even started developing the game yet so by the time it comes out it might be on PSP2 and NDS2 as well. :ganishka:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
eatsmoney.gif

Guts' intestines said:
My best of E3 ranking:
1. Microsoft
2. Sony
3. Nintendo :judo:

I like the motion plus, but not real hardcore games and a lousy community speaker for voice chat, all sucks.

Oh, I dunno about you, but I'd sure as heck count Megaman 9 as pretty hardcore. :)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Breed1Ghost said:
FF13 is only multy plat in the us and maybe in the Euros in Japan its only on ps3, so its not as big a blow as it could have been
Im appalled that the word "multi-plat" even exists.

Walter said:
Im appalled that the word "multi-plat" even exists.

I agree with you, when I watched it i felt stabed in the back. Like nothing is sacred any more since they said it a few times that itted only be on ps3. I dont mind that its on 360 its just the fact on how they did it that kinda made me angry.

And Aaz I mean I'm not even sure how solid that is, since I read it on the information at the bottom of the tv on g4. You could be 100% right I mean anything is posable now lol. But anyhow After watching PS3s confrence I thought it was solid if i didnt have a ps3 I would get one, same goes for 360 if i was gonna get one their confrence interested me but I thought it was really weark in the games but the content I felt was pretty damn strong.

So depending on what you were looking for like games I think PS3 won in that area and if you wanted Content I think 360 won in that area. Thats my 2 cents. I didnt get a chance to watch the Wiis confrence so tomorrows another day.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Bekul said:
Oh, I dunno about you, but I'd sure as heck count Megaman 9 as pretty hardcore. :)

Yeah, and GTA DS isn't what I'd call a casual game either. :serpico:

Breed1Ghost said:
I agree with you, when I watched it i felt stabed in the back. Like nothing is sacred any more since they said it a few times that itted only be on ps3. I dont mind that its on 360 its just the fact on how they did it that kinda made me angry.

I don't think that's what Walter was talking about.

Breed1Ghost said:
And Aaz I mean I'm not even sure how solid that is, since I read it on the information at the bottom of the tv on g4. You could be 100% right I mean anything is posable now lol. But anyhow After watching PS3s confrence I thought it was solid if i didnt have a ps3 I would get one, same goes for 360 if i was gonna get one their confrence interested me but I thought it was really weark in the games but the content I felt was pretty damn strong.

Yeah my point's just that promises are never very solid in the video game industry. I didn't really watch any of the conferences but overall I got the feeling that none of them really introduced anything mindblowing.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
I didn't really watch any of the conferences but overall I got the feeling that none of them really introduced anything mindblowing.
Highlights for me were BioWare's Dragon Age and Wii Sports Resort :serpico: And Rock Band II will debut Guns and Roses' new single. Pretty awesome. And ... weird.

Oh, and there was a kind of half-assed Zelda announcement:

"The Zelda team in particular always works on Zelda titles. The core members of the Zelda team have for a very long time now been focused on Zelda games, and continue to focus on Zelda games, so they are hard at work and working away," Miyamoto said. "And then, of course, we have the DS Zelda team as well, so even there we're having some switching of people in and out where the DS team is mixing in with the Wii team and working on the Wii version."

Miyamoto also noted that there would be some big changes in store for the next Zelda title.

"I think that Zelda is a franchise that does need some big new unique ideas," he said. "And so the team right now is very focused on trying to find those ideas."

Top Bottom