Mega Man Megathread

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
MEGA MAN 9!

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36182.html

YES!

This is a dream come true; for years I've been saying that Capcom should have just kept making Mega Man games exactly like the original six classics, but people said I was crazy, stupid, they laughed...

Well who's laughing now!? :ganishka:

All they need to do now is go back and "demake"(?) Mega Man 7 and 8 in true Mega Man form. BTW, should we start the petition of outraged gamers who think this game looks TOO MUCH like the original? Just check the comments under the video. =)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Bigger sequel announcement than Fallout/Diablo 3...

Yeah I saw that a while back. I'm expecting it, though I know a lot of people on the Internet are actually indeed OUTRAGED. :guts:

Okin

The Ultimate Battle Creature

How long has it been since Megaman & Bass?

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!

This is indeed great news! At least we know the graphics and music are going to be AWESOME!

Griffith

KazigluBey said:
I'll take Diablo 3.

You can have it. :guts:

Anyway, I think a lot of the outrage is misguided. Sure, all the complaints about technology, graphics, cost of production, consumer value blah blah blah wah wah wah are all legitimate, but they miss the point. I think the title and status that goes with it is their problem (and what makes this so brilliant), because it doesn't really put the game into proper perspective. I don't think this replaced some state of the art Mega Man 9 Capcom was ever going to roll out, from a company standpoint, it's basically a side project (I mean it's being released on on X-Box live and WiiWare) that they're calling Mega Man 9 to directly link it to those original games it's attempting to recreate. If it was called Mega Man Classic or something, it'd put it in more accurate context, and nobody would complain, or care, which obviously isn't a good thing. But, in this context, as the legitimate successor and the returner of Mega Man to his glory days, it's very exciting to people like me, and very disappointing to those that wanted another next gen Mega Man (sick, sick people) or are who simply gaming progressives on principle (graphics whores), creating a lot more buzz than the game would have gotten otherwise. So, it's just brilliant all over, glad I thought of it. =)

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos

Better graphics would have been nice, but it's aiming at the old school gamer so I can understand not going that route.

Griffith

KazigluBey said:
Better graphics would have been nice

So one would think, but...

mega-man-powered-up--20060314060344385.jpg

...better is debatable.

It's all relative, after all. Beyond technology, graphics are still about design and style, and those things can be timeless. The original Mega Man games had some of the best visuals of any NES game, or any games, by the time their run was over. Colorful, detailed, yet sharp and clean; these aren't bad looking games by any standard. I actually think a lot of people prefer the visual style of the original six to that of 7 or 8, not to mention the gameplay. In my opinion, these are better graphics.

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos

If they used the Mega Man model from the Marvel vs. Capcom games it wouldn't look too shabby.

Griffith

Yeah, but there'd be no deeper meaning behind that. =)

Anyway, we've seen about the equivalent to that with 7 and 8, and it wasn't great. I'm not actually a big fan of most of Mega Man's in-game models or even character art. Honestly, I prefer and most identify the original sprites as what I think of as "Mega Man", so this really is right in my wheelhouse. And it's not like it's something I can say about any other 8-bit characters that made the leap (Mario or Link for example). I think it's something unique to the Mega Man series because the first six games were so stylistically identical, whereas other game series were/are constantly changing style with each installment. So, there's a reason that this sort of thing is being done for Mega Man and not other franchises.

Looks awesome. The first gameboy game I ever played was Megaman 4.. I still haven't beaten it. I'm REALLY liking the way they went back to classic yet at the same time the levels and puzzles all feel new and complex.

I'm hijacking this thread. Quick name your top three favorite megaman songs.
1.Flashman
2.Skullman
3.Hardman

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Ramen4ever said:
1.Flashman
2.Skullman
3.Hardman

:guts: GUTSMAN :guts:

Then Metalman and Quickman I guess.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"

Ramen4ever said:
Looks awesome. The first gameboy game I ever played was Megaman 4.. I still haven't beaten it. I'm REALLY liking the way they went back to classic yet at the same time the levels and puzzles all feel new and complex.

1.Flashman
2.Skullman
3.Hardman

Psh, Megaman 2 holds the record there dude. Seriously, I'm talking anally rape with sudden pregnancy BANG!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLKuzdxp0UM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_JPOy7ZZYY

I hereby claim Bubbleman's stage the official 1989 panty dropper.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you

So where the fuck is my Chip and Dales sequel for the next gen console?! :zodd:

Ramen4ever said:
1.Flashman
2.Skullman
3.Hardman

Flashman hands down, then Mega Man 2 Intro and Quickman.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

m said:
Flashman hands down, then Mega Man 2 Intro and Quickman.

The Mega Man 2 intro is basically the best tune ever created.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

I'm pretty psyched about MegaMan 9, and it gives a whole new meaning to sequels in the modern day. I look forward to more releases like this. That being said, it DOES fit the Mega Man series perfectly, as Griff pointed out. These graphics are iconic.

Aazealh said:
The Mega Man 2 intro is basically the best tune ever created.

I actually prefer the megaman IV intro for gameboy. As far as I know, it's not in any of the nes megaman games.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUxjAH51UcQ
The video says rockman.. but my gameboy copy of megaman IV has the same intro tune.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

I hope Mega Man shoots Wily in the face at the end of this, right before the bearded shut-in tries to apologize again.

Griffith

Ramen4ever said:
I actually prefer the megaman IV intro for gameboy.

Mega Man 3 intro for NES. So good, it stands on it's own without even the accompaniment of an intro scene, it IS the intro. :carcus:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiQgYfyUdDs

Walter said:
I'm pretty psyched about MegaMan 9, and it gives a whole new meaning to sequels in the modern day. I look forward to more releases like this. That being said, it DOES fit the Mega Man series perfectly, as Griff pointed out. These graphics are iconic.

Yeah, I don't know how it would work for other series, but it's perfect for Mega Man and if they get it right, I wouldn't mind seeing more of them. To me, it's not even like a retro throwback thing, it's more like the first real Mega Man game since 6. Anyway, they haven't done anything with the original franchise in 12 years, so why not use it as a platform to pump one of these out every year like in the good old days? Mega Man 16, featuring new robot masters Cappuccino Man, Internet Man, and iMan! =)

Speaking of which, here's a list of the new Robot Masters for those interested:
Concrete Man
Galaxy Man
Hornet Man
Jewel Man
Magma Man
Plug Man
Tornado Man

and...

Splash Woman!? :casca: :isidro:

Good lineup, basic and not nearly as strained as some of the previous robot masters (Top Man, Centaur Man, Tomahawk Man, etc).

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Ramen4ever said:
I actually prefer the megaman IV intro for gameboy. As far as I know, it's not in any of the nes megaman games.
Griffith No More! said:
Mega Man 3 intro for NES. So good, it stands on it's own without even the accompaniment of an intro scene, it IS the intro. :carcus:

Damn you guys with your different opinions, nothing can ever beat Mega Man II's intro!! :puck:

By the way Griff, just remembered, you should check out the other video game threads more often. :guts:

Aazealh said:
Mega Man 9 will be released on WiiWare. They're making it old school (NES-style) too. The other big news is that one of the bosses is Splash Woman.

We can actually see Splash Woman's silhouette (among that of the others) in the trailer that was released some days ago. Looks like she'll be some sort of mermaid.

Griffith

Aazealh said:
By the way Griff, just remembered, you should check out the other video game threads more often. :guts:

Still gotta keep it fresh and dramatic for those that are just tuning in to the Mega Man 9 phenomenon. :troll:

Aazealh said:
We can actually see Splash Woman's silhouette (among that of the others) in the trailer that was released some days ago. Looks like she'll be some sort of mermaid.

Yeah, I actually really liked the look of them too.

So what do you guys think of this megaman intro?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caIBKOztlAo
:carcus:

Top Bottom