Mega Man Megathread

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Re: Mega Man 9

More videos:

Opening Cinematic - Funny and promising plot, Magma Man is also revealed.

Plug Man's Stage - Plug Man is revealed.

Concrete Man's Stage - He's revealed as well.

Producer Interview - Among other things, he does a good job explaining the concept (for those that still don't get it =).

Playthrough and more discussion of the game. - There was talk of doing a 16 or 32 bit style game, but they really wanted to return to the roots and went so far back that apparently even the Mega Buster and slide are out, so this is a total return to Mega Man 2 form. This thing is retro compared to even Mega Man 4!

The only other thing of note, if you look at the opening and the stage select screen, there's a possibly that there could be 16 robot masters. Of course, it could also just be setup for the bigger robot enemies and bosses of the castle stages.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.

I'm really hoping more companies do things like this. It's not just about nostalgia, some of the effects they can pull off with simple 2-d or 8-bit graphics these days on beefier machines look awesome. Its like my childhood on crack. I'm also pretty thrilled at how challenging some of these stages look.

Griffith No More! said:
The only other thing of note, if you look at the opening and the stage select screen, there's a possibly that there could be 16 robot masters. Of course, it could also just be setup for the bigger robot enemies and bosses of the castle stages.

I would guess that you take down the 8 robot masters that Dr. Light built, and by then Dr. Wily will have finished his own robot masters and then you will need to take them down as well, except they will only be weak to the powers of Light's bots.

This is awesome, it makes me want to go back to gaming, which I had totally lost interest in this past year.

I don't really get that old-old school Mega Man 2 feeling though, those story sequences feel more like Mega Man 5. I'll miss the slide but not the mega buster; I always hated that feature in the latter NES games.

As for MM music, I agree with Griffith that Mega Man 3's Intro music is stronger. I loved Mega Man 2's intro from the start in that it was simply an awesome rocking piece while MM3's took a while to grow on me but it has a more mature sound. It's epic.

It's cool that they always had a new theme music for each game, but I guess they decided the MM2 intro would be the characters theme in the arcade games. Also Magnetman and Snakeman are two of my favorite stage themes, but they're pretty much all awesome.

Griffith

Scorpio said:
I would guess that you take down the 8 robot masters that Dr. Light built, and by then Dr. Wily will have finished his own robot masters and then you will need to take them down as well, except they will only be weak to the powers of Light's bots.

Exactly, the whole thing brought to mind Mega Man 3 when you fight the 8 new Robot Masters created by Dr. Light and Wily, and then you have to fight the 8 from Mega Man 2 again.

A.C said:
I don't really get that old-old school Mega Man 2 feeling though, those story sequences feel more like Mega Man 5.

You noticed those same explosions around the city too? =)

Actually, this sequence was way beyond any of the classic Mega Mans, but that's okay, even those got progressively more complex and this is Mega Man 9 now, after all.

A.C said:
I'll miss the slide but not the mega buster; I always hated that feature in the latter NES games.

Really? The slide drove me nuts in 3, it can be jittery so that you can't easily double slide holding down and tapping the button but jump instead, usually resulting in you getting nailed rather than escaping. It's fine in the later games, automatic rather than manual so to speak, and I like the Mega Buster that loses it's charge when you're hit like in 5, gotta have a trade off unlike in 4 when you can keep it powered up all the time no matter what.

I never had much problem with the slide in 3, and that game is my favorite. Maybe I just have mad skillz :carcus:

Griffith

Hey, if you want to be hardcore, brag about your Mega Man 1 skills, cause my cousin would have eaten you for lunch back in the day. :carcus:

He played Mega Man like this.

Anyway, I didn't have a problem with it either after I realized I just had to wait for one slide to complete before engaging the next. That aside, I think 3 has the best control, even the ability slide/jump is unique to the game and gives you a level of control not seen elsewhere, even if it's more a hindrance than a help. My favorite is still 2, though 3 is awesome, and the last one to truly be an upgrade overall. Hey, let's rank!

2 - The classic, the best.
3 - Maybe better than the best. Slide!
5 - The last great Mega Man. Charge loss!? Oh no!
4 - Cool introduction/backstory, Mega Buster, but set some bad precedents.
6 - Still good, but the end was nigh.
1 - The original, and most bad... bad to bone, that is. :badbone:

I'm stoked for MM9. Megaman 2 was one of the most memorable games of my childhood...that game was perfect.

The gameplay looks pretty creative with brand new platforming elements. Plus, it's only going to be 10 bucks.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Griffith No More! said:
2 - The classic, the best.
3 - Maybe better than the best. Slide!
5 - The last great Mega Man. Charge loss!? Oh no!
4 - Cool introduction/backstory, Mega Buster, but set some bad precedents.
6 - Still good, but the end was nigh.
1 - The original, and most bad... bad to bone, that is. :badbone:

For me it's more like 2, 3, 1, 4, 5 (didn't played 6 or any of those that came afterwards).

Griffith

Aazealh said:
For me it's more like 2, 3, 1, 4, 5 (didn't played 6 or any of those that came afterwards).

I notice 4 comes in 4th for both. =)

Anyway, 1 can really go anywhere for me, I just put it last "for hardcorness" as sort of a copout. I could probably mix all of them up depending on mood or criteria anyway, except 2 (though, speaking of criteria, 4 might be the most complete/representative of the entire series on it's own considering it's comprehensive story and introducing the last big series staple, the Mega Buster). That's the great thing about those games, it's just more Mega Man levels. =)

Also, the Nerd is everywhere this week, here he actually has some new footage of Mega Man 9 at E3:

http://revver.com/video/1051065/my-e3-recap-2008/

He mispronounces Bass' name though like it's after the fish, but so did Mega Man 8 sadly.

Griffith No More! said:
Hey, if you want to be hardcore, brag about your Mega Man 1 skills, cause my cousin would have eaten you for lunch back in the day. :carcus:

He played Mega Man like this.

I could play like that =)
Of course it's been years since I touched one of these games so I imagine I'd be rusty now but I always liked to beat the bosses with normal buster only, no special weapon (unless it was required in the castle stages). The only bosses I couldn't defeat like that were some of the recycled MM2 bosses in MM3's pre-castle levels (Curse you quicker Wood Man!) and the MM1 robots in the MM1 castle levels. I can breeze through MM1 almost as easily as the latter games but I admit I hate those damn air hovering things at the end of Ice Man's stage, if you land on those suckers the minute they shoot you get a friggn' phantom hit and fall off. Ridiculous.

Also, that video reminded me how annoying the Get Weapon music/sequence in MM2 is (the MM3 one is totally sweet) and I hate Heat Man's stage and the second to last castle stage in MM2 where you have to use your crashbombs wisely on the sensor boss or else you have to die and run around shooting things to recharge that weapon. That's MM2's flaw for me.

Anyway this argument over which is better, MM2 or MM3, always comes up. As I understand it MM2 was crafted by a small team of people who were very passionate about the game, designing and programming it in the spaces around their real project - resulting in a masterpiece, while MM3 was a Capcom-sanctioned creation developed by a 9-to-5 team, perhaps lacking the passion of a private crusade (recycled castle bosses from MM1) but with polish. Like a Mega Man 3 reviewer once said; It's the difference between a director's heartfelt low-budget thriller and their big studio debut - the difference between Terminator and Terminator 2. The first has vision going for it, the second has resources. Two different approaches to the same concept, each with their own unique charms.

As for my list, it would be something like this:
2/1

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Box art revealed:

megaman9cover.jpg

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!

Yeah, I seen that on IGN a while back and was floored at how great of a parody it was. I just wish we would actually get a case and instructions with it, that's my main issue with download only games.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

handsome rakshas said:
Yeah, I seen that on IGN a while back and was floored at how great of a parody it was. I just wish we would actually get a case and instructions with it, that's my main issue with download only games.
The downloadable games have instruction manuals built into them. They're pretty generic looking usually, but that doesn't mean they CAN'T be customized and done well. It's just that the bar has been set pretty low so far.

Looking forward to this one. Ive been playing through Mega Man 1-3 the past few days. Utterly classic games.

Griffith

My favorite Mega Man cover is 2, by far. I love that rendition of Mega Man, the classic John Wayne-like squinting square-jawed hero. It's what Mega Man would look like if it were a 1930's serial.

megaman2serial.jpg

Starring Rock Brockston as "The Mega Man"!

That Mega Man 2 cover is hilarious. We had a completely different cover in Europe for MM2 with Mega Man looking like Robocop silver colored with Dr. Wily's castle at the top of a mountain in the background.

Griffith

For those of you who can't wait for Mega Man 9, some badass made another one of my dreams come true and remade Mega Man 7 in 8-bit style for PC.

http://www7.atwiki.jp/wakuwakusuru/pub/final2.zip

Finally, as it SHOULD be, and I hear Mega Man 8 is on the way as well. :carcus:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Griffith No More! said:
For those of you who can't wait for Mega Man 9, some badass made another one of my dreams come true and remade Mega Man 7 in 8-bit style for PC.

Hahaha, awesome stuff. I'll give it a shot when I get home. :guts:

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!

Griffith No More! said:

Thanks Grif it's a lot of fun!
Shade Man's stage is a riot, there's something about robot zombies that makes me giggle.

Edit: Well it's five in the morning and I can only get my ass kicked by a giant robotic pumpkin before I call it quits. Good stuff, I will play more tomorrow.

I only once played through Mega Man 7 years ago on an emulator. Didn't remember some of those robot masters being such SOBs. Junk Man and Shade Man were easy, but Christ... Burst Man! Also something about playing on a keyboard takes the fun out of it after a while. Cool that someone did this though.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

A.C said:
I only once played through Mega Man 7 years ago on an emulator. Didn't remember some of those robot masters being such SOBs. Junk Man and Shade Man were easy, but Christ... Burst Man! Also something about playing on a keyboard takes the fun out of it after a while. Cool that someone did this though.
You need to get one of these man:

http://www.1topstore.com/product_info.php?products_id=532

Griffith

Yeah, all it needs now is a legit full screen option and assigned buttons (for one thing they have jump before fire, which is backwards to me). It's sort of odd that after going through so much obvious effort to recreate the game, they didn't incorporate those two most basic and important features of any PC program, which really should have been first considerations. Maybe there's other versions which address these issues, the videos on youtube look like perfect emulations.

Anyway, to get around those problems I'm playing it at 512x488 in the config while running the program at 640x480 compatibility on a 1280x1024 monitor for mock full screen, and using joy2key with my gamepad. It's just like good 'ol Mega Man again, I'm having a blast with it, and I hope they finish 8 too.

A.C said:
Also something about playing on a keyboard takes the fun out of it after a while. Cool that someone did this though.

From one Mega Man lover to another, I can tell you that if you configure the controls on a gamepad as I described above, they are excellent, very precise with no delay or sliding. And it's worth it too, the more I play it, the more impressed I become. It really is basically a "new" legitimate Mega Man classic game, to the point that I'm already earnestly comparing it to 4, 5, and 6.

Griffith

megamanlastsupper.gif

And since you've all forsaken Mega Man and this thread, I'm double posting for your sins. New and more detailed direct gameplay videos:

Plug Man's Stage - Looks cool and challenging enough.

Concrete Man's Stage - Shows a lot more of this level, right up to a cock tease of the boss room. ELEPHANTS!

Direct video of the opening cinematic - A little much for a classic Mega Man intro, but it reminds me of 4 in that there's a lot of separate scenes and musical cues.

There's another one of a Capcom rep blatantly shilling it, but it's really got nothing new or worthwhile we don't already know (September release, $9.99). He does reveal that you can apparently "save" after each level... what? Fuck that, I want passwords! =)

There...

megamancrucifixion.gif

Top Bottom